Red Bull F1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Red Bull F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    It’s easy to have the best aero with a slow motor. You don’t have to compete on speed because you can’t. So you put more down force than the fast cars that must compete on speed.

Said another way (as Hamilton politely put it on the podium at Monaco) SF and MB build their aero to win championships. RB builds theirs to win Monaco.

If RB gets a competitive motor, their Aero will come down.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No when you don't have competitive power you take downforce out of the car to get some straightline speed. RB appears to be running a very low downforce set-up in France. RB Aero won't be coming down as long as Adrian Newey is on the payroll.

jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

Back in the V8 era Renault was also down on power. Newey build such great aero machines that RBR actually won races with skinny Spa/Monza spec wings on tracks where others ran far more downforce...why? To get themselves some extra straight line speed so they wouldn't be caught in DRS.

375+ likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Seb usually qualified on pole and took off at the start, gaining 2 seconds or more on the field before DRS was activated.

Bas likes this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Reducing downforce to obtain more top speed also affects grip under acceleration and braking, so it's a delicate trade off.
    A car needs to be very well balanced not to became unstable with reduced downforce, if not it will feel very nervous to drive.

375+ likes this.
  6. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Exactly! Why make a car that can’t win ANY race? Increase the aero and win the race you can...Monaco. Go back and listen to Hamilton’s podium speech. He very nicely slapped RB for making a one race car. A low speed car.

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Why?!?! So you can lose EVERY race? RB made a conscious choice to build a one race car... Monaco. Listen to Hamilton’s comments. He slaps RB for doing just that.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes a one race car . . . that has won 2 of 7 races so far this season.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The second win was pure luck. Intellectually dishonest to say otherwise. Wtf?!?

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Delightful corresponding with you. Good-bye.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What are red bull meant to do with the power deficit, please tell me. The only alternative is to build a car that wins no races.

12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    According to information of Motorsport-Total, yesterday Ricciardo and Helmut Marko had a meeting in Graz. Only small details are left, he will stay at Red Bull.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With elton staying at Merc, Vettel obviously not moving (and I'm sure doesn't want Ric as a teammate), this is the only move. No other team is in serious consideration to be 3rd best team next year. I still see Red Bull far faster than Renault next year, despite the Honda engine. Over the course of a season, perhaps with reliability in play? Could well be Renault then....but there's no glory in finishing 5-7thth every weekend and be 3rd best team, when you can compete for wins and podiums, even if the engine goes halfway through a race!

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, saw it:
    http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Red-Bull-closer-to-Ricciardo-deal-Marko,128243.html

Even the silly season can't provide much excitement these days.
    Latest Rumor (motorsport above has it) is that McLaren could be interested in signing Kimi, should Fernando call it a day and Leclerc be offically signed by Ferrari.

Rgds

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's the second time that I found a mention in Auto-Hebdo (a French weekly mag) that Mateschitz would like to leave F1 altogether at the end of this decade , and sell his 2 teams.
    For a few years, there were rumours that Toro Rosso was for sale, but couldn't find a buyer. But Red Bull departing F1 is news to me.
    The next 2 years with Honda would be crucial for the Red Bull empire now linked with Honda.
    If the association is a success, it will raise the value of the 2 teams..
    But if it's a failure, Mateschitz may be dejected and see no future for him in F1.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The truth is that I don't see much future in F1 as for myself, but that's just me.
    The racing, well...everything is now sealed in Q3 and at the start.
    The engines, well...I have zero interest in these vacuum-cleaners.
    The tyres...come on, this is past ridiculous with these softs, super-softs, mega-softs, ultra-softs, ultra-mega softs...purple, mauve, turquoise and what have you.
    Even the silly season failed to deliver this year.

I'm no Mateschitz, but I can see his perspective.

Rgds

375+ and william like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree with you.
    F1 got himself in a dead end situation, with the successive introductions of tricks to keep the show artificially alive.
    I cannot see them getting back to basics though, so F1 will lose its appeal for many.
    It has become too technical and budget-oriented. It doesn't offer the thrills a modern audience wishes to see, and more spend its money to watch.
    There is a lot of other forms of entertainment out there. It's my belief that Liberty made a mistake buying the F1 rights.

To come back to Red Bull rumours, I don't know where they come from, but they have been reported twice already.
    No smoke without fire ? Maybe Marko has been indiscreet with the media?
    I think it all depends if the Red Bull-Honda association is fruitful.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Tost defends Honda before Red Bull move

July 16, 2018

Franz Tost has defended Honda amid concerns the Japanese manufacturer is not up to the task of powering the senior Red Bull team from 2019.

Tost is the team boss at Toro Rosso, the second Red Bull owned team that started using Honda power this year.

He told ORF: "I've never had problems with Honda.

"I don't know what McLaren's experience was, but the engines are not as bad as we heard.

"The engine is good enough and we are working with them to improve it," the Austrian added.

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen also said he is not concerned Red Bull is making a bad move by dropping Renault.

"There's still half a year and Honda will work hard in that time," he said.

"It's better if there are problems now than next year, but I think they've taken big performance steps. They are not slower than Renault anymore."

Verstappen also said full works status for Red Bull will be a big help.

"Normally that's always better, yes," he said.

"You can get an update at every race. At Renault everything went to the factory team first and only one or two races later we got something. It's a pity, but understandable."

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Red Bull has given Honda permission to test engine upgrades whenever they are ready to run - even if it means more penalties for Toro Rosso. Development for 2019 more important. AMuS (in German):

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's an interesting strategy. The second team is then entirely their testing and training outfit.

All the best,
    Andrew.

kylec, tifoso2728, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Yep, I believe Honda said at the beginning of the year (knowing the signing of RedBull mid season) that they would be sacrificing reliability for performance at STR.

22. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    The trade-off will always be performance vs reliability...…….with Honda especially. However, blinding it through half the race, only to have the motor expire into a DNF again, takes the whole point of motor racing in F1 to a nonsense. I can't imagine any of the drivers with some hope of a podium every now and then, voting for it. There are many other forms of motor racing for real drivers to get excited and enthusiastic about...…..as in the old days.
    RB aren't there just to make the numbers up, and if a new engine (any engine) doesn't deliver, then you can't blame the owner(s) for considering whether or not, the investment in the sport is worth it. If all they are doing is digging a bigger hole, then stop digging. Not much help to the fans, but I get the impression that the fan base isn't of much concern to the teams....we don't bring in $$$'s or ££££'s in anything like quantity anyway.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It's a smart move.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The only move they can make so as to not look foolish for leaving Renault. If that fails the press and stories will be very very entertaining.

jgonzalesm6, stavura, william and 2 others like this.