Recommendations for good Leather upholsterer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Recommendations for good Leather upholsterer?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ag512bbi, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Did that “someone” turned out good enough for you to recommend to others ?
    Just curious.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Um... I have to say no. It was my original guy I hunted down, kissed ass and he went ahead and did the pieces I needed NOW.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I will look into it. Thank you.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for the feedback. Let me/us know if you run into something worth of recommendation.
    As I mentioned, finding a “good” interior trimmer, especially for vintage restoration purposes, is difficult at best.

Most “custom” upholstery shops just aren’t capable doing vintage restoration work authentically/correctly.
    Heck, I got dozen or more such within stone throw or two from my location and some appear quite highly regarded and always busy, but I wouldn’t want their workmanship(?) on a used wheelbarrow, let alone vintage cars.

5. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Try Oscar Reyes at Escondido... his work will exceed your expectations.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks, but unfortunately his website photos do not appear to show anything different than what can be seen on umpteen million others.
    As I mentioned, there's plenty of guys/shops like that around here, in L.A. or O.C., but... :(

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Man, I had the best local guy, but unfortunately drunk 24/7. He did some of his best work while intoxicated. I even tried to help him and set up shop for him. But alcohol got the best of him. He fell into a slippery slope and we had to get rid of him. Unfortunately he had 10% left to do on my 512 BBI.
    I'm getting the "little" pieces done here and there. I even tracked him down to get some more pieces done.
    I guess sun visors are a bit more complex? I still have that, luggage belts and a few more minor parts to do.
    So that's where I stand.
    I'll take photos when I get a chance.

8. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Oscar is a "one of" and maybe this is the reason why his website is not representative of a world class outfit and also this may be the reason you are not going to get charged $20-25k

I am just helping the community, if you are looking for the best, pay him a visit.

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I haven't found a great upholsterer either (vintage or modern) but maybe take a look at Rex Nguyen https://www.rnrllc.com/index.html
    @TTR if you're able to tell over the internet whether or not someone meets your standards, would you mind elaborating? I.e. what specifically do you see that is substandard?

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Chris, thanks for a valid question, which unfortunately is quite difficult to answer in short form, as I think it could easily fill a book or at least (long) chapter in one trying to elaborate on even somewhat comprehensively.

Besides, I've not taken a habit to extensively share details of my trade knowledge/skills on open/public forums. :rolleyes:

OTOH, I’m known to over-analyze things and get hung up on details/minutiae, even in my own work, including those eventually not seen by casual observers or judges. ;)

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    KMcoachtrim in Florida.

I've never used this company myself, but from their instagram, they are the only company that seems to be able to replicate the newer, more complex Ferrari upholstery. I.e. Speciale Aperta or Pista carbon bucket designs. He even has the same 3-D tech fabric that Ferrari uses.