Recommend me a good protein shake... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Recommend me a good protein shake...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ivan Rajic, Jan 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ivan Rajic

Ivan Rajic Karting

Jul 18, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rajic
    One thing I forgot to ask... I don't want any stuff like creatine, etc. so how do I tell that a certain powder I buy doesn't contain any of those, aside from reading obviously :). Even with reading, as mentioned here, I don't believe it 100%, so I'm wondering are all the whey protein powders generally free of creatine, etc.?

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Creatine is pretty gritty so you would be able to tell if it was in your shake pretty easily.

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What's up bud? Hope all is well.

Question- Do you have university or lab tests on this product? Have you read the lab batch assays? I could literally take a crap, dry it, micro grind it into powder and sell it claiming it is pure whey isolate. And no one would know or bust me on it. Nutritional product success is often more a result of marketing than product content.

Looking at the blend....While isolates are the perfect for a post-workout combination with carbs, I wouldn't regularly drink it through the day and certainly wouldn't at night. So, while the product looks good per label, it's use it limited IMO. The blend that Pro Complex contains is more appropriate for more applications. Again, I have ha it tested and have been to their manufacturing plant so I am comfortable stating it's "quality". Until you have lab-tested results in hand, it's tough to make any real claims.

With all this being said, I am no expert. I do not have a degree in bio chem either it molecular biology. So take everything I say with a grain if salt.

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Little to no chance that the proteins have creatine in them unless they state it on the label. They wouldn't waste money putting it in without claiming them.

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Bill, how long ago was it that your lab peeps tested all of that stuff?

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

A couple years. While it is possible that the data is not the same, it is probable that the two I recommended are of the same quality.

Usually the quality of a protein formulation will decrease whenever the company is sold. Mist buyers are buying the established "name" and going from there. In the case of Optimum, nothing has changed. In the case of EAS, they were bought by a major pharma company that feels an obligation to meet label claims. They have a lot of lose in their nutrition division if the FDA started regulating this stuff and they were found to be fraudulent. Had EAS been bought by a random third party their quality probably would have stayed the same or decreased.

Again all of this is just my opinion.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Lab Tested?????? It's a waste of my time! I tried many and this is ideal for my daily routine. I feel the difference. Maybe Body building (beach Body) requires something different than MMA training????? But I never had a powder help me lean up and harden up like Quattro. But not taking a protein right before you go to bed is a BIG injustice. HUGE! All Pro Body builders even wake up in the middle of the night to take some form of protein. I know your (I think your not) going for Mr. Olympia. But regardless, get the most of why your taking it (does that even make sense)???

8. project328

project328 Rookie

May 1, 2011
    Hi,
    Anyone have any opinions on maximuscle PROMAX.

thanks.

9. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't buy into the slick labels, supplement store and gym marketing crap.... i do believe in the science that ProGrade products use... many university teams, pro sports teams, and medical bariatric community use their stuff exclusively...their science is sound and without the hype.
    I use several of their products and all have produced in me, the results claimed (I have no affiliation with anyone there but I am a big believer)

http://products.getprograde.com/?advert_id=GAW&gclid=CJ6w7Myi060CFYW8KgodZlaflw

beev

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My friend, anything less than a lab test of a supplement is simply rolling the dice and gambling that they are 100% honest in their label claims. With ZERO inspection of products, very few are exactly as labeled. It would be similar to workers at a job. If no one had a boss, what percentage would give it their "all" every day. It is similar to the nutritional supplement industry. Little to NO regulation outside of OSHA. Thus the fraud that runs rampant. Again, my friend, simply assuming that the products are as claimed for any company is an assumption. And in this industry, it is usually not a safe assumption.

Want a true soundbite that may hit home?

- One bodybuilder I knew 5 years or so ago started his own supplement company. He got his creatine from China (there are very few actual producers of creatine in the world). Anyway, when he would get his raw material, he would pick BUGS out of it when he sifted it before he would fill his own cartons and stick his labels on. Not even kidding.

- my friend who owns a winery said that you "have to have a high end wine in your offering. A really high end price. Customers are always looking for a special wine and if you price one higher they will always assume it is from better stock and buy it, regardless of anything else.". People assume price =quality.

Think about those.

Okay, I never said I don't take a night time formula. My nighttime formula is mostly concentrate and caseinate. Very little isolate or hydrosylate. I want my protein still digesting at 2am if possible. Not sure why you think I am not taking a shake before bed. Always have. I'm taking about 5 per day (of varying formulations) right now, to be clear. In addition, im taking glutamine, branched chain aminos, creatine monohydrate (still a believer compared to other esters), etc.

And my "beach muscle" routine is hardly all I do. You and I have talked about how I still box and how I have been doing bjj. Heck I just biked 51 miles on Saturday.

I am certain that you are "feeling it" and it is possible that it contains exactly what is in the label claim. It is possible that they are using whey and milk concentrates too in there. But you won't know it until you get a lab test or read a lab report. That's undeniable. Until that point, you are simply trusting the company at their word.

We will have to agree to disagree about taking an isolate based product at night too. But that's fine.

Again, I may be wrong about all this stuff. It is all my opinion anyway and anyone reading this should take my word or advice as one guys advice that is no
    more relevant than Armen or anyone else. I mean that.

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    You are obviously WAY more educated than I am in this field. I'm just giving what I know and how I feel to my peeps. Maybe certain things work better for some than others. I don't think I directly pointed my finger at you to any of the above. if so, My appologies.

12. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

All good my friend. My apologies too if I came off as abrasive or defensive.

The beauty of supplements is to use what you "feel" works. Often the placebo effect has just as much influence on the performance as the supplement in question. With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if your product you are touting completely meets the label claims. I know you take your training seriously and are more in tune with your body than most on here or anywhere.

I've learned a lot in this thread and enjoyed reading the personal experiences of the posters here. I definitely don't know everything. In fact most of my data and knowledge is 5+ years old which is an eternity really.

I am always interested in learning more and am a sucker for wanting to try new products all the time even if they have total crap science behind them. At least I'll gain personal experience by it.

In the end, personal experience trumps any clinical data. ;-)