Recall 812 Superfast | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Recall 812 Superfast

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Quietriot, Oct 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jljr

Jljr Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Miami Beach
    Rear glass to be removed, perimeter surfaces (glass and rear hatch) properly cleaned, adhesive applied, and then reinstalled? Or, will new glass be ordered and delivered for each vehicle?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Complete glass replacement.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Jljr

Jljr Rookie

Feb 25, 2018
    Miami Beach
    Thanks for clarification.

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Any indication whether the 1,063 includes Canadian (and Mexican?) deliveries.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It does not, however, the NHTSA bulletin is only for USA (so I presume 1063 is USA total), Transport Canada handles Canadian recalls and Profeco handles recalls in Mexico

https://tc.canada.ca/en

https://www.gob.mx/profeco

6. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just been onto myferrari and I can see a recall for my car. My dealer is in Spain.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #29.

Marcel Massini

8. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Marcel, do you have confirmation that it applies to every SF sold in the US? Am hearing owners who've been told by dealer their VIN does not fall into the range.

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    The NHTSA VIN "range" is inaccurate. If this is the "range" dealers are referring to, it is inaccurate for decision making. The NHTSA bulletin does indicate 100% of all 2018-2020 812SF are included, that's reliable.

Ferrari will notify all dealers+owners by December 6, so, just wait, there is nothing you can do now anyway, the 'inventory of replacement parts" will take time to build and arrive at dealers.

10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yes, I expect to hear from my dealer on this soon. But more interested in the point you were debating on another thread about the number of SF's in the US. Hard to believe that only 1,000 SF's delivered in the US - as would be the case if recall applies to every unit in the US.

If true, average number of deliveries per US dealer would be about 25. I think there are around 40 dealers in US.

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It's not hard to believe
    It's not hard to believe at all...

EU figures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

That's 2089 for EU through August 2020

812SF factory allocations for the USA was, according to many dealers I directly spoke with in spring 2019, 50% of expected.

The fact that the recall is for 1063 812SF is entirely coherent with my earlier discoveries and understandings.

Bundy, gliazzurri and of2worlds like this.
  12. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Pls share more detail. US received 50% of expected allocation? So normal allocation would have been 2,000 units?

Europe received twice as many SF's as US? Would explain the weaker secondary market in Europe versus US.

13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Nothing on My Ferrari App with my vin 256K

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    EU has other issues, demand for secondary is being complicated by 'brow beating' of politicians over things they are fussing (cannot get into P&R in this thread)

More than a dozen USA Dealers noted they were not receiving expected 812SF allocations and several indicated it was about 50% of expected. And then demand seriously dropped after SF90 reveal, USA customer order-to delivery started to suddenly take 4 months rather than 18+ as a result. So, demand fell off and MY2020 812 USA production is probably close to half 2019, so I suspect, if you added up all the cars for each model year in USA it would look something like 500, 400, ~200

Full USA production would of been about 550-660 cars per year (based on factory max production rate near 2200 V12s per year, that's all V12s for all cars, not just 812SF, think Lusso, Monza, etc), so, over a 3 year (July 2017 - July 2020) period 1650-1980 total production would of been expected, but, USA was shorted to over produce for EU and China (and then the impact of SF90 reveal which seriously decreased demand in USA);

Was it 'exactly 50%', no, it was not; but, as you can see, it was very notable.

15. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Agreed. That dealer allocation number seems exactly right. Definitely not hard to believe. It wasn’t a very popular car to order for various reasons discussed elsewhere.

JTSE30 likes this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    WHAT is your VIN, please?
    You can PM me directly if you wish.

Marcel Massini

17. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Sir, you really need to stop splashing random numbers or produce some proper evidence to support your claim that only about half the number of 812 were delivered vs expected allocations . You have made the same claims elsewhere in the "No more V12 in production.." thread.

There is nothing to suggest that the USA allocations are in any way greatly reduced or half as many as expected as you claim here and in that thread.

Historically the Americas (North and South) have received around 30% of the global production (see p36 and p56 of the Ferrari annual reports of 2018 and 2019 respectively). USA would account for approx 25% after accounting for Canada, Mexico plus South Americas.

Using Marcel Massini's 4762 for 812SF globally ( www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147500251 ), that would put the 1063 US cars is inline with those distributions. Your claim that half the normal USA allocations were actually given would have meant that the USA alone was expecting to receive 45% of the total 812SF production which makes no sense. Historically, Ferrari's own numbers indicate 45% Europe/ME, 30% to the Americas(North and South, rest to APAC), So the USA 812 number is more in line with the usual 25% of global production.

Conclusion: there is no under supply of USA 812SF versus expectation.

Marcel Massini and Avia11 like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The new EU rules meant that Ferrari was favouring markets that were getting the dreaded GPF. Get as many twelves as possible into those markets at the expense of North American allocations. There were some months when USA dealers got zero 812 allocations. There were a number of potential customers who complained their dealer got no 812 allocations for them from Ferrari.
    Then along came the SF90 with cheap horsepower in vast quantities for little more money than the loaded 812's were selling for. Ferrari got burned twice by not supporting the 812 strongly enough and by selling the SF90 at a bargain price.
    The only benefit of all this was it forced Ferrari to offer the 12 cylinder GTS version to generate sales.
    Those with a good memory will recall that Ferrari had no interest in producing a production V12 convertible in all those decades since they stopped production in 1973.

Marcel Massini, Bundy and JTSE30 like this.
  19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Page 40 in 2019:
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/sites/ferrari15ipo/files/ferrari_-_annual_report_2019.pdf
    (nothing regarding sales figures on page 56)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Look at the above, "Americas" overall percentage of all production DOWN, except for Middle East, all others up.

Please provide evidence of statement:

USA would account for approx 25% after accounting for Canada, Mexico plus South Americas

And, please provide evidence that 1063 (22.3% of 4762) USA production is not close to 50% of EU production of 2089 (43.9% of 4762).

And, please identify your point, I cannot locate it.

Whipcity76, italiafan, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I thought the SF90 was a $600k car and an 812sf a $400k car (roughly). That and the completely different setups and drive trains. Two totally different cars in different markets.

greg328 likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Ferrari buyer is fickle. Ferrari says they typically keep a new car for 12 to 18 months. They want something new and different constantly. Some will march through the V8 offerings over the years without a thought for a V12. Others will only drive a V12 over and over again. Some simply enjoy the 'new car' buying experience with no loyalty to a particular model or style of Ferrari.
    The 'different markets' idea holds little sway with buyers who buy one of everything in the Ferrari model line-up...

Quietriot likes this.
  22. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    :)

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I agree with your observations. However, the suggestion is that the 812 buyer switched order to SF90 because very little price variance but I think they are not that close in price and they are designed to appeal to two different target buyers. Hybrid V-8 rear-mid versus mid-front NA V12.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For me I find it extremely difficult to even think about getting rid of one of my Ferrari’s. Each has its own personality and I love each for being slightly unique, warts and all. My “line in the sand” however is if I can’t trust a car to get me back home. When a car displays an unreliability problem that could leave me stranded on a back country road in the middle of nowhere it instantly becomes “dead” to me; like having a dog that attacks your kid.
    Apart from that though it is like having several loyal dogs that you love and trying to figure out which one must be put down to make room...not possible....only solution is to keep building more space! :)

maxemus, Caeruleus11, greg328 and 5 others like this.
  25. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Maranello seems to be betting on this quite heavily still, given the # of models and rate they are releasing them at...

of2worlds and Bundy like this.