News

Rebuilding Wiper Motor - 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by james.colangelo, Oct 31, 2019.

1. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    All,

For my 83 400i, this weekend I am going to be removing the wiper motor and arm assembly. I'm actually sending it off to someone I found who rebuilds these motors. I'm also going to see if this person knows of any modern replacements that would fit, but I don't think they will be able to tell until they see it in person. They generally specialize in American cars but they are excited and curious to try this one out and I'm going to give them a shot.

I'll keep everyone posted - also I don't think there is a step by step in removing the motor so I'll try and put one together. I wanted to start this thread as something that potentially can help all of us.

The motor is going to this fellow: https://www.classicwipers.com/

Ak Jim likes this.
  2. Temerian

Temerian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hi James and thanks for the reference. Mine too needs some love- it seems to work on some strange intermittent pattern which changes according to the car's velocity.

3. raemin

raemin Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's also something i am investigating in my car, but after fully rebuilding the motor I came to the conclusion than the only damaged item was the connector. For sure the mechanism wanted fresh grease, but inside it looked as good as new. The construction is quite robust and the worm gear looks reasonably sized considering the sort of modest use the wippers have to cope with (these cars are not driven for several hours under heavy rain).

This being said I know now that my problem lies elswhere, and presumably near the washer pump or the vitaloni control knob: depending on the rotation of the knob (i.e with or without washing), the wippers do work properly or not. To be precise, the intermittent module (on the relay board) goes mad (clic clic clic) when the knob is turned clockwise.

4. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    This weekend I removed the wiper motor which was incredibly easy.

NOTE: I ultimately ended up taking out the battery, which I should have just done from the start.. so, here we go;

STEP 1: Remove the battery

STEP 2: STEP 2: Remove the 5 surrounding bolts which are all 13 MM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here is an action shot of me removing the nuts; Careful not to drop them!

Now that the motor is loose, you need to unplug it. That part is pretty straight forward.

NEXT, You need to SWING it around the bracket. Pull the motor toward you and UP to clear the bracket ..

Then VOILA! You have it on your counter. The part # is TGE574 C

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

rubenpadron likes this.
  5. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Sorry for the extra pictures it's hard to post with pics on this site in order.