"Rebodies" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Rebodies"

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by El Wayne, Oct 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    There is a sticky thread at the top of that subforum for this purpose:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/recreations-non-period-rebodies/364788-rules-definitions.html

While not perfectly worded, I think most people here can understand what discussion belongs in here, what discussion belongs in there, and what belongs elsewhere. In fact, if I have time later on, I may draft a better version.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree it's not broken as is, but I do like the AVS approach of using subtitle text just because the clarification of posting criteria is visible all the time. I think people tend to read the forum rule stickies only when a new forum is added, and some don't read them at all.

The problem is that it's not easy to sum up the category in a few words. Maybe something like this would work:

"Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies" - Cars with valid Ferrari serial numbers but with incorrect bodies (e.g. body type not matching chassis, significant body modifications or custom bodies that are non-period or are not coachbuilder/factory quality, etc).

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As for terminology, we all realize that a term can mean many things to many different people. Consider that any given term may have the following meanings (or more):

1. the plain meaning
    This is generally the most commonly used dictionary meaning, or how that term would likely be interpreted by a lay person if isolated from context. An example would be Paul's grandmother's understanding that referring to a car as a "rebody" simply means that one body was replaced with another.​

2. a meaning established by a pattern of use
    An example would be my own adopted use of the term "replidoodad" to refer to replicas that I feel are so poorly designed or executed that they can hardly be said to replicate any real automobile. People who have bothered reading my posts over the years will know what I mean when I refer to a car as a replidoodad.​

3. the meaning intended by the speaker or author
    Can be determined either through context or by a directly stated intention. "You guys are a bunch of turtles. And by 'turtles', I don't mean that you're slow, but that you retreat into your shells at the first sign of danger."​

4. the customary meaning within a specific trade, community, or group
    Can vary from group to group and from community to community, or even within subgroups of an overall group or community.​

Of course, what we're dealing with is #4. And even here, the meaning of certain terms varies depending on how narrowly the group or community is defined. For example, (in the U.S.) the general automotive historian/car collector community categorizes historic automobiles into the following eras:

Veteran - prior to 1890
    Brass - 1890 to 1919
    Antique - pre-1920 (encompasses both veteran and brass era automobiles)
    Vintage - 1920 to 1930​

Our use of the term "vintage" to refer to any Ferrari automobile is confusing to collectors and historians outside of our specific little area of the automotive world, but the meaning of that term is understood by most members of the Ferrari community, and more specifically, by most F-Chat users (and the term "Enzo era" is preferred by an even more narrowly defined contingent of the Ferrari community).

In the same way, to the vintage Ferrari community, the term "rebody" used as a noun has a different and more specific meaning than the plain meaning or the broad meaning that may be assumed by a person from outside of this community. The practice of rebodying lower-tier Ferraris in order to transform them into replicas of more desireable models has been so prevalent over the years that the vintage Ferrari community commonly uses the term "rebody" to refer to cars that have fallen victim to this practice. The fact is that the number of vintage Ferraris that have been rebodied into replicas of other models is far greater than the number of vintage Ferraris that have received entirely new bodies in their original style. As a result, if one member of this community points to a car and says, "That GTO over there is a rebody," a lay person such as Paul's grandmother*, or even a member of the broader automotive community, may simply understand that the car's original body has been replaced, but members of this community will interpret the statement to mean: "Though the car in question appears to be a 250 GTO, it is in fact a less desireable Ferrari model (most commonly a PF Coupe, GTE, or 330 GT) that has been rebodied into a 250 GTO replica."

*I don't know if Paul's grandmother would consider herself a member of the automotive historian/car collector community, and more specifically, the vintage Ferrari community, but I'm assuming she would not.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I think its probably unfair to have this discussion on this thread and maybe it should be chopped out and placed in the subforum as a separate debate?

When I questioned the term after seeing that this GTO had received significant new panels I did not expect a big debate to spring up. It is in no way meant to be derogatory to this particular car.

Peter if you read my words again I defined "reshell" as associated with a unibody and a "rebody" as associated with a chassis based car i.e the chassis remains original in such, only the body is replaced.

The different distinctions between use of the word rebody and restoration depending on the actual car in question is very much historic Ferrari based I have found in my experience....and my grans :)

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I was thinking the same, and so I've now split the discussion off into a separate thread.

:)

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks Wayne and apologies for the hassle of having to separate into another thread.

The usual suspects are taking the view that a modern rebody of a Ferrari is not a rebody (dictionary defined term) but a restoration (fchat defined term) when it is carried out on an original car.

They and I have put our interpretations in writing, it would be interesting to hear the silent majority's take on things now......over to you if interested.

I have a feeling this thread will sink into oblivion! but I got it off my chest :)

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hahaha! we agree on something...

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I can this being a discussion that allows a long list of examples to make whatever point someone is wishing to make at that time.

Was the resurrection of the ex-Teague 250 Pf Cab after the wildfire a rebody or a restoration? I say a restoration. The car was bodied back to what it had been.

Is the Breadvan a rebody in period? Yes. Would returning it back to a regular SWB be anything but a sacrilege? Anyone thinking of returning the car to the SWB needs to be communing with a rope and a tall tree. This gets into the historical significance of the non-orginal body - see also the Nembo spyders.

Is taking a race car that was mangled and returning it to its correct shape a rebody or a restoration? If the original body has been retained but is hopelessly misshapen through the years then I again would see that the replacement body that is correctly shaped is a restoration.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sure.

The fact that the noun "rebody" is absent from Collins, Oxford, and Merriam-Webster tells us that it's a specialized term with no widely used definition. As I explained in my earlier post, while there's usually a dictionary definition of a given term, this definition often differs from the customary meanings of that term within specific trades, communities, or groups. But in this case, where no dictionary definition exists, one can only look to the specific trade, community, or group for the intended meaning.

The noun "rebody" is commonly used in this community to refer to a Ferrari that has been rebodied (the verb in the Collins definition) in the style of a more desireable Ferrari model. In other words, it's a replica based on a donor Ferrari chassis.

And this is not an "fchat defined term", as you put it. As I explained in my earlier post, the practice of rebodying less valuable Ferraris into replica GTOs, TRs, etc. has been prevalent for so long that the number of these "rebodies" far exceeds the number of Ferraris that have received entirely new bodies in their original style. So, for decades, the noun "rebody" has been used and understood to refer to these Ferrari-based replicas by most people who are active within the vintage Ferrari community--collectors, dealers, restorers, historians, enthusiasts, etc.--both conversationally as well as in print.

That said, I do consider Rob's use of the term "recreations" in the title of this subforum to be an F-Chat-defined term. The Ferrari community, and the automotive community in general, are splintered on the use of terms such as recreation, replica, reconstruction, tribute, etc., when it comes to dsescribing a car which appears to be something it is not.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    haha, semantics same antics

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    This car was originally built as the pure competition car it was intended to be. I am also sure no two of any of these cars were ever built exactly the same.I also now there were small modifications made to satisfy in this case the Day family so to be registered and allow the car to be fit for road use, touring and from what I understand for occasional trips to the grocery store. For a Ferrari to be classified as truly original it would require every last part to have been created for this particular car or of the type originally used on other cars of the same type.Though this standard would be virtually impossible to achieve the best that can be said for it is is how near to this standard a restoration can come without looking like a spectacular Hollywood recreation fit for a Donald Trump beauty contest. tonga's crew

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    What do you mean? As in replacing an entire body? A respray and upholstery? Repairing a broken turn signal stalk? Or just wiping it really clean - like with a cloth or something? :)

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    well not everything is rebody

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name: