355 - Rear side markers reflectors on 355 bumper signal? | FerrariChat

355 Rear side markers reflectors on 355 bumper signal?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ruey220, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Has anyone noticed when you turn on the left or right turn signal, does ths side marker on the rear bumper flash for the corresponding direction you turn on? I noticed on my 355 both flash regardless of the left or right selected.

I'm trying to troubleshoot if this is only my car or if all 355s does this. I discovered this because I removed my reflectors on my rear bumper as I installed a euro bumper and removing both reflectors created a separate issue which caused me to connect the bulbs back to trouble shoot the case. And I noticed both reflectors flash regardless if only the left or right turn signal is turned on.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This is not normal. The wiring for the Euro car is different. I'll post some diagrams shortly. I have recently acquired a set of F355 USA paper workshop manuals with black and white wiring diagrams, but I forgot to update my coloured diagrams for the USA car.

Which car do you have? 2.7 or 5.2?
    Most likely, you will have to cut a wire for the turn signals somewhere and put a splice in the marker light wiring. I had a problem with brake lights flashing with my turn signals, a grounding issue, but yours is a different problem.

Cheers
    Ian.

WATSON and ruey220 like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019

When you installed the Euro bumper was it a 5.2 bumper or 2.7 bumper and did that include the tail lights? Did you then install illuminated side markers in the Euro bumper?

I didn't realise the early USA cars didn't have side markers.

WATSON likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    By early, I mean '94. The '95 model introduced side markers, changed the tail lights and removed the side turn repeaters. Or did no '94 models make it to the USA?

WATSON and ruey220 like this.
  5. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

You are correct Ian that the Euro wiring is different. I looked into this briefly trying to troubleshoot the issue. I have a 5.2, and I believe it is the opposite perhaps from what you're thinking with my issue. I had the US bumpers on my car which has the reflectors on the bumper. I think only the US cars had reflectors and side markers on the bumpers for safety reasons, and I do not like them so I disconnected them and got the Euro bumpers that do not have the reflectors and holes for them. It is blank on the Euro bumper. Removing them is what caused issues with my front parking lights when the turn signals are activated.

6. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    it is a 2.7 Euro bumper I acquired, and it has no tail lights. I don't believe any of the euro bumpers have a tail light. All of the US cars had side markers.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Sorry, I'd better start from scratch... I was thinking you fitted the whole rear of the car, not just the bumper.

Strange. The manuals I bought were supposedly for the American market and all '94 cars had no side markers.

I didn't realise the US cars had reflectors as well as illuminating side markers. Or do you mean the reflectors in the centre element of the outboard red rings?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Perhaps it is an earthing issue. Do you know where the earths are for the rear lights and side markers? Have you double checked the lamps are correct for the outer red rings? i.e. dual element and that they are all working?

WATSON and 308 GTB like this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I think Ian is correct when he says it mat be a grounding problem. Speaking from experience, though not on a 355, a bad ground to a tail light or some other indicator light can cause all types of havoc. Most recently I had a bad ground to a brake light on my Toyota ruck. Every time I stepped on the brake the 4 way flashers would start going. If I put on the left turn signal the brake lights would go on.

The thing is, so many of these things are connected to a common ground that main ground fails current will find another path to ground through other circuits.

ruey220 likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There are earths on either side of the car for the respective L/R clusters. The diagram above is labelled incorrectly. I meant to say the grounds are slightly above the upper support bolt on each radiator.

Anyway, here are the diagrams for the earlier cars...

Euro Lighting Diagram (2.7)

USA Lighting Diagram

WATSON likes this.
  10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There is no such thing as a MY 94 355 in the US. They started coming to the US In 94 as MY 95 and with everything required by DOT and EPA to be sold in the US. Marker lights, airbags, etc.

ruey220 and Qavion like this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ruey220 and WATSON like this.
  12. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Thanks so much for the help. What doesnt make sense about my issue is when I put a bulb in place the signals work fine except now the issue I mentioned where both sides flash when the turn signal is pressed.

Nobody still has responded whether they noticed if their cars do the same.

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Qavion said it in post #2, this is absolutely not normal. Only the side in which you are signaling should flash.

ruey220 likes this.
  14. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Thanks for the confirmation. I believe it was a misunderstanding bec he was thinking when I say rear side markers I'm talking about the rear tail lights. I thought only the US cars have reflectors in the bumpers and being he is from Australia were talking about two different parts.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ugh.. Now I'm confused (again). I thought the US rear marker/turn lights would have bulbs with dual (separate) elements and the circuits would be isolated (other than common earths).

I still don't know what you mean by "reflectors". A reflector to me is a bit of plastic or glass which catches light. It is unpowered. Although all lenses on the F355 reflect to some degree, I would only classify the white centre of the rear outboard rings on US cars as "reflectors" as they don't have bulbs in them. (o)(o)____(o)(o)

I know the US cars have small rectangular orange "marker" lights on the sides, front and back, but I assumed they were just steady lights and didn't flash at all.

Perhaps our resident guru, Miro, can explain why the rectangular lights flash at all. Of course, having both rectangular side markers flash is abnormal. It would confuse everyone.

I was going to recheck the behaviour of my Euro/Australian lights, but found I had a flat battery... :rolleyes:

16. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    This is the light I'm talking about Image Unavailable, Please Login

It lights up with the parking lights when lights are turned on. When you turn the signal on, it flashes by turning off when the standard turn signal flashes on and lights when the signal flashes off. Basically alternating the light pattern. When parking lights are off, then it flashes with the signal.

I was told this behavior on other cars is setup using a floating circuit, basically getting the ground using the positive from the turn signal, so when the turn signal gets power, a ground source from the side marker is lost, causing it to no longer illuminate thus alternating with the turn signal. When the parking lights are off, the lead from the parking light positive which is connected to the side marker becomes the ground source which allows the signal to flash with the turn signal simultaneously.

So if this is in theory how the side markers are wired, how is it possible then that both side markers flash regardless of the direction selected, and why when both are missing a bulb now the front parking lights end up flashing? Somehow the rear side markers then are connected in this floating circuit concept with the parking lights but done incorrectly.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This thread is driving me nuts. Simple question that no one seems to have bothered to check. So I tested my car. 95 US version. Already knew the answer. The side markers, front and rear, left and right DO NOT FLASH UNDER ANY CONDITIONS. They come on with parking lights and head lights and remain on STEADY, whether the turn signals are activated of not.

THE END!!!!!!

Qavion and ruey220 like this.
  18. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Thanks for answering the question. Bottom line I been trying to find out all along so I can troubleshoot the problem. ;)

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #19 johnk..., Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    This is a clear indication of a bad ground or other wiring problem. I bet if you look closely, then the parking lights are on, the side marker is not turning off but just becoming very dim when the turn signal flashes on, because the current is finding a lower resistance path to ground.

[edit] there are some other scenarios to, but hared to explain in type.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks John! I was starting to doubt my electrical theory.

Back to basics. Ruey, are your side markers (front and back) flashing or just the ones at the back)? For the sake of conformity, let's call them "side markers", not reflectors ;)

If there are single element bulbs in your tail turn/marker lights, and there are supposed to be dual element bulbs, I can see how the side markers might dim when the turn lights are flashing. Ruey, if you have time, can you check your rear outboard (red ring) lamp _holders_ to see if there are two contacts (not including the earth). If so, do your lamps have two contacts on their bases?

Sorry, I don't know the part number of the lamps or if they are coloured on US cars, but for those who don't know, dual element lamps are like this:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/20925/how-does-a-lightbulb-with-two-filaments-know-which-one-to-light-up

If someone has a part number, I can add it to my wiring diagram.
    Supposedly, the offset locating pins on the lamps should stop you fitting the wrong type.

Did you find the earths at the front corners of the engine compartment, above the radiators? The left side is much easier to find on my 5.2 spider. The right side you have to feel around for.

21. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, after rereading some of the posts between tail lights, “reflectors”, and side marker lights I was a little confused on what we were talking about when I answered too.

22. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I called them reflectors only bec on most cars in the US they are placed as reflectors as a minimum requirement to having a reflector on the rear quarter panels and the front corners as well. Some manufacturers chose to put a light bulb in them but it is my knowledge early on in this requirement they didnt need to be illuminated.

Side markers for the international markets were just that, the ones on the front fenders.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah, ok. I wasn't familiar with US history ;) I was using the terminology in the USA Ferrari Workshop Manual

ruey220 likes this.