Real racing footage in "Grand Prix"? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Real racing footage in "Grand Prix"?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I don't think they could do a modern remake Grand Prix movie,F1 racing in the 60s was so much different and risky than today, Frankenheimer also did Ronin which had some excellent driving scenes also.

I think it was A.Sabato(who has a son now A Sabato Jr) who was the real chicken in real life, he was such a bad driver they had to mount a camera to the front of his car and tow him around the track, the looks of fear on his face were real, Garner went to Bondurant and another driving school and the pros such as Hill where actually comfortable with his driving skills.
    The scene with the Sarti (aka Surtees) character flat out in the Ferrari in the rain was one of my favorites.

Driven was a terrible movie, worth watching if you have never seen it but the movie was insulting to anyone's intelligence for its fakeness.

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I wish too, and I'm sure quite a few of you do as well. Quite a while back when I checked amazon for it, it directed me to leave my email and by doing so I would be voting for its release. I had the idea of getting a rally on the board and hopefully raising votes for the cause. For some reason, I never did. But, I am now. I dunno if it'll work, but its worth a try I guess.

quote from amazon:
    The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title.

follow this link to vote for Grand Prix... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JKGB/qid=1071650773/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-9138219-5716823?v=glance&s=dvd

Maybe we should try to get the general section on this too.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bill, thanks for your words. Not so much because you seem to feel the same way with regards to "Le Mans", but more importantly for your very well phrased and to the point analysis of what went wrong in this movie. The book "Cars in Films" compares Mc Queen's acting in this movie to a cardboard figure...

As far as Driven goes, I seem to remain its only supporter (wouldn't want to use the word fan either).

4. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    I LOVE both Le Mans and Grand Prix but have to agree the plots are pretty lame.

Both are out on DVD, at least here in Europe.

I know a guy in Italy that had been involved in all the Grand Prix shooting done at Monza at the time.

He still smiles when he tells stories about it.

The cars used in the movie are actually F2 cars, no F1 cars involved at all and to make them look somewhat like F1's, wooden mock-ups of cylinder blocks and valve covers were made and glued (!) onto the cars.

If you remember the sequence where Yves Montant / Sarti flies over the railing at the banked turn at Monza and gets killed, watch it again with the knowledge that a kind of "canon" was fabricated that actually shot the car through the railing... Interested in acquiring a piece of movie / racing memorabilia that is truely unique? He still has the canon, it has been sitting in his yard since the shooting and it IS for sale...

He has TONS of pictures taken during the shooting, probably more than enough to make a similar book like "A French kiss with death" that was done on the shooting of Le Mans.

What I like best about both movies is that they give you some view on how racing was back then and how different racing is nowadays.

Just my € 0.02.

Jack

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

Driven lasted about 20 minutes, and I had to leave. I don't much like Stallone anyway, and that movie just reinforced my dislike. Le Mans however:

1. The opening with the time and pulse. Reality!

2. Fact: last 1 hour of the race: McQueen's car had the lead, with Mario behind him. Direct quote: Mario Andretti, after setting new lap record after new lap record chasing the Porsche of McQueen down to win at the end: There was no f*ckin' way I was letting that movie actor win"

3. The plot wasn't so good, but the reality of racing came through in spades.

Art