Reading Concours D'elegance | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reading Concours D'elegance

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by bjferrari, Feb 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Hello Frank, I hope you can make. Its a nice Ferrari day to learn about judging and meet FCA members and other Ferrari owners.

8:00 Field opens
    9:00 Judges meeting
    10:00 All Ferraris must be on the field judging begins, mercoto opens
    12:00 Judging complete
    1:30 Awards luncheon begins

2. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Barry, what is the cost/ticket situation for spectators only? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

I have a previous engagement to attend in the afternoon but I may be able to stop by for a short time in the morning.

3. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Hello Eric,
    Thanks for your interest. We don't really encourage spectators. It is a judged event and the country isn't open to the public. The best way to come is register in advance. We are not set up to sell tickets the day of the event, sorry.

Barry

4. cmbeal317

cmbeal317 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Dillsburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Darn, I was really looking forward to this.

Chris

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I can't recall a time when Pietro didn't extend a welcome to me, even during the times I didn't own a Ferrari. There were others as well.

On a couple of occasions I purchased extra tickets for a friend or two who wanted to attend, again, no problem.

Where, exactly, is the harm in admitting a few spectators who are Ferrari fans and willing to pay the admission fee?

Don't tell me there's not enough room? Or maybe parking is tight? Barry, honestly, this is the attitude of the FCA Pa/NJ? The official policy of the club?

D

6. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave,
    Long time no talk I hope all is well!? I just want to say that Pietro was very kind to me over the years by allowing us to buy spectator tickets... Maybe that is one reason why my Dad now owns a Stradale (disregard my name on here I'm a far way from a teenager). While I agree with a lot of people that the Simeone Museum was not the same type of location Reading is, it was nice to be able to just show up and buy tickets.

It's not my place, but if someone wants to drive to reading and pay to walk the show grounds, I can't imagine the site will be overrun with people. Please don't take this too harshly as I think it's great the show is returning to Reading and if our schedule would have allowed it would have been great to show our Stradale. I just don't want some father and son missing out on the memories I enjoyed.

I remember one very wet Reading and helping Labcars dry his 275GTS, meeting Dave M. after he created the Fchat poster, having an F50 pass us on the road, etc etc.

Erik

7. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey

This kind of event (where no spectators are allowed) reflects a 'closed community' philosophy that I believe becomes hard to sustain over time.

For example, Shaker communities (which many considered to be closed groups) tried to sustain or grow their numbers through acceptance of like-minded individuals and orphaned/unwanted children, rather than marriage/reproduction. For a time, this practice sustained the number of communities as new members replenished deaths and out-migration. But even with outsiders welcomed to some extent, ultimately, the model failed as populations and interest declined, and there is now only one small Shaker community left in this country (in Maine).

Closed Ferrari events like the Reading concours remind me that the exclusion of outsiders (spectators) can similarly impair the vitality and sustainability of the Ferrari community and, in the long run, the value of their cars. That would be sad for such a proud marque.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Guys,

I don't want to start a giant grumble fest over this.

I just wanted my opinion known.

D

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Until Pietro's death, my firm helped sponsor the event. Under the current apparent exclusionary policy, not only would my firm not even consider doing so, but I would not even be eligible to attend as I no longer own a Ferrari!

When Pietro was alive, the concourse was a welcoming event and I routinely invited friends to introduce them to the marque... I don't think the current policy would be one Pietro would support.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Wait. You sold your Testarossa???? And didn't buy another F-car?

Well, I say pffffft. The Zagato is Italian, right? I remember seeing the occasional Lamborghini at Reading, and maybe a Fiat or two, so . . .

And besides, you could have your own booth showing stages of restoration on them with all the Zagatos you have now.

D

11. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    First, let's give Barry credit for picking up the mantle and carrying on this event. It is a ton of work, and he is doing it for us. I appreciate that he has listened to the feedback from last year and is moving the event back to Reading.

I also want to take a moment to share my first experience at the Reading concours. The first year I attended I had read about the event in Forza. This would have been in the late 90's or early 00's. I remember it clearly because I showed up on the wrong day (Saturday instead of Sunday), but I was not deterred and made the trip twice. I did not have a Ferrari at the time and drove a Honda Civic to the show. That day I had the chance to see many great cars and chat with owners. I remember how much I enjoyed that experience and how much I learned. It certainly contributed to my appreciation of the mark, and eventual ownership of my own Ferrari. I hope that young people today might be able to have a similar experience.

I realize that this issue seems to surface every year. I know that this is a club event and that a balance must be made, but I think it is important to allow enthusiasts (aka future owners) to understand what it is all about. When I first attended I was ignorant to the fact that it was a closed event, but thankfully no one chased me away. I think it is important that young fans feel welcome.

12. SM Photography

SM Photography Karting

Oct 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Spencer M.
    I've been looking forward to this event for a while now, so if I have to pay $115 to not be kicked out then so be it, but where can I go to buy these tickets if they are not being offered at the show? Confused.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sadly, it appears you now have to be an owner to attend. Spectators are no longer permitted. The first page of the thread contains info on contacting Barry for further information

14. SM Photography

SM Photography Karting

Oct 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Spencer M.

Wow. That's a shame. Have heard so many great stories about this event from before my time and had always wanted to really see what it was like.

15. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I get the impression from Barry's comments that the no-spectators problem is the price we pay for the luxury of returning to the Reading Country Club. It does seem a shame though. Maybe if you showed up in bright green pants and tasseled shows you would be able to slip in...
    Kudos to Barry for getting back on grass and all his efforts at the club!

16. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Just an FYI to everyone, the NO Spectators policy has always been the policy of the Reading Country Club. Doing the event there for so many years, Pietro was able to bend that rule a bit, and the County Club looked the other way.

If it ever got out of hand Captain Renault would have been "Shocked to Learn that Gambling was taking place in this establishment!"

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting. So the RCC sets a policy that just happens to fit perfectly with the attitude of the old guard at the FCA PA/NJ.

How convenient.

And, seems counter intuitive. They have a large concession stand, and are certainly making money on the event. More spectators=more money. OF course to the limits of the capacity of the facility, I suppose.

Oh well, I guess Reading and no outsiders it is, then.

D

18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Hey Guys,

If you see a 328 GTB on display, can you get the serial number, a photo and perhaps a contact? I believe a 328 GTB has been shown in the past at the Reading Concours and if it shows up again I want to make sure it's on the US 328 GTB Registry.

Thanks and have a great show.

-F

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is a sure fired way to get your ass in a sling at the FCA PA/NJ. If no visitors are allowed, how well do you think a serial number inquisition would be accepted? :D

D

20. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Prior to being an owner I was shot down quite quickly and sternly by Pietro. After I signed up as an owner, I couldn't get him off the phone. 😃 Our very own dm_n_stuff hooked me up with tickets as a spectator. This was 2007 and I talked with a gentleman who had 612 and 575SA at the show. He welcomed me as part of "the family." That guy's complete acceptance of me as a non-owner nobody really stuck with me. It was cool to see his car on the cover of Forza later on.

I have seen many in non-Ferraris paying at the gate to spectate. It seems the rules of the event changed hourly.

21. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Sounds like you are talking about Jeff Grossman.
    Jeff is a great guy, a true Ferrari aficionado and loves to talk Ferraris

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Tell them you are on a mission from God, or Enzo. A mission from Enzo to find all two hundred and whatever number 328 GTB imported into the United States. Do it for America and Ferrari and for the Ferrari Club of America.

Aww screw those guys, do it for FerrariChat. :)

-F

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh great, now they're gonna post my photo at the gate with, "DO NOT ADMIT" under it.

BTW, when I got those tickets, I explained to Pietro what they were for and he had ZERO problem with it. I guess he just liked me. I miss the FCA PA/NJ here in Florida, and I damn sure miss Pietro. Let's not lose sight of the greater mission here. Having an annual car event that remembers where it came from, and who helped get it there, while working to grow and expand the interests of the club.

A club that sadly, I no longer belong to.

D

24. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I registered 2 cars for this event. Now weather report looks like rain storms all weekend. Does anyone know if there is a "rain date" or will the show go on if the forecast is correct?

25. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Right now Weather.com shows 20% chance of rain for Sunday, which ain't bad. Thank heavens the event isn't Saturday, which sounds a bit damp.