Re-wiring tail lights | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Re-wiring tail lights

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by GNALUZU, Feb 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Someone on this thread should have said thank you to you for your thoughtful research and advice.

Take a look at my thread about how to add functionality and see what you think

chas348 likes this.
  2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    for sure.

Its a matter of time before someone comes out with a kit...

having attended SEMA last year I can assure you there is no shortage of keenly minded aftermarket LED head and tail light companies who will see this opportunity.

DVL66 likes this.
  3. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for the comment, MalibuGuy and you're welcome. As can be seen, I tend to drill down into specifics to know things for certain, and not abide by the mythology (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I responded on your other string re LED's replacing the incandescent bulbs, also (great reading hahahahha). Regards, Bob H

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #54 4th_gear, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    I suspect the reasons why the two Enzo-style lights aren't functional are:

- a car must have at least 2 fixed brake lights... AND
    - there's a maximum limit of 3 brake lights that can be displayed

WHY?
    The Cali already has a centre light strip on its trunk so that rules out a blanket restriction on brakes lights that are not fixed... but it does not rule out a possible reason that you can only have a maximum of 3 brake lights.

A further reason why Ferrari did not put a SINGLE fixed brake light lower down where the current 2 brake lights are, may be because it would look weird and interfere with the placement of the license plate OR maybe a car must have at least 2 FIXED brake lights and the single centre light strip is just an option.

Just guessing... if regulations did allow 4 brake lights, I think Ferrari would have opted to make the 2 Enzo lights functional instead of using the centre light strip.

Michael

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I think the centre light has to be at a minimum height, certainly for Europe it is referred to as the high level brake light

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Is there really a problem at all with the rear lighting.

The Cali's third brake light is centrally located ,at eye level , and quite long and bright too.

It is about three feet wide!

I don't think there is a problem unless cali's are getting rear ended more that other cars.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    "Hey Buddy, your brake lights are out" ... Drive a Cali and you will hear it, not regularly but you will hear it.

Rick

8. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yup, I hear it. Not every time I drive the car, but enough to make me start this thread.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The driver who tells you that probably saw your third brake light and stopped safely.
    He noticed that the trunk lid did not light up and so thought your regular brake lights were out.

Next time someone tells you this ask him if he almost rear ended you? Was the center third brake light effective?

But I do think my idea of using the third brake light for power to cannibalized LEDs from a separate third brake light would work perfectly.

If you are good with your hands and can open a light you can do it.
    I used to own a 360 and the head lamps would get condensation inside.
    A bunch of us learned how to open the 'sealed' light by baking it at a low temp and then opening a seam with a sharp knife. Search for threads in 360 forum and there is some great info with pictures.

I also replaced my third brake light on my 360 all by myself. So I have. Little experience in this area.

10. has an solution been found for this?

11. res1afbe

res1afbe Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Yes. I just finished up the rewire this weekend is it works exactly as Ferrari originally intended. Shout out to Todd McGaughey who documented the steps.

12. RogerBileau

RogerBileau Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Where can I find this ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. res1afbe

res1afbe Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
  14. LouPianta

LouPianta Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Louie P
    Hello guys, just to share what I did sometime ago with a brilliant guy near London who made it happen. He is a retired engineer and does these kind of works. Very neat and clean. Cali has a much better look, safer and it works perfectly. You can put it back as it was in literally 2 minutes.
    Video attached:
    1) I put lights on
    2) Foot on brakes - finally proper brake lights
    3) I turn the back fog light on
    4) Reversing lights on
    He also did a couple of more works for me including the emblems coloured in black.
    What do you think?
    Lou

Attached Files:

richkh likes this.
  15. chas348

chas348 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
  16. richkh

richkh Rookie

Jul 25, 2023
    UK
    Full Name:
    R H
    Hi Lou,

Do you have the details of the modification or can you put us in touch with the engineer? I live in the UK.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app