RC30 | FerrariChat

RC30

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by skelly, Jan 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    #1 skelly, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was just thinking about how much I'd like to have a RC-30. What do you know? There's one on eBay.

Honda Other | eBay

I wonder what it'll eventually go for. As far as I'm concerned this is a seriously collectible machine. Do you think it will go on to more race victories? Or will it find its way into somebody's personal museum?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    SERIOUSLY collectible and quite nice to ride...

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    During 1990, I could have purchased one of the 'regular' non-race RC.

4. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My favorite bike of all time..

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

roger Mandeville had one or may still have it...I was trying to sell it to me 12 years ago. it was less than 2k miles and wanted $9k. should have bought it.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I am always surprised what someone is willing to pay for these. Bids are up to $27k now.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have had one off and on since 1997. Small, compact and potent. Jim Granger is considered to be the local guru (So California).

I sold mine a year ago to help fund a Ferrari. The Ebay bird you mention has a ton of uber rare parts from the HRC kit IIRC. I prefer bone stock.

PM me if you have any specific questions because I dont visit this area of Fchat very often.

If you do get one, check the front rotors. They are thin and prone to warp. Pick up a set of aftermarket rotors for daily use and shelf the originals.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Awesome. I also liked its little brother the NC-30 (wish I could get one in the States, or the similar ZXR400, CBR400RR, etc).

9. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Back in 1992 my old dealer/shop had one up on a large shelf almost touching the ceiling. It was breathtaking. I stopped in several times just to look at it. What are they going for these days?

10. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #10 kiesan, Jan 21, 2014
    Blue chip collectible. Exquisite, sublime, superb... insert whatever superlative you can think of. More "hand built" and "Italian-esque" than almost any Ducati. And I'm a Ducati guy.

The last one I had sold for $36k. One owner 49 state US model with 3k miles and lots of kit parts. The top of the range but that's what they go for.

11. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Damn. Honda got that right!

12. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    #12 chopperdr, Jan 22, 2014
    lear60man, do you have a contact for jim granger, i need to get mine refreshed and i want someone who has knowledge of the bike.
    thanks in advance
    cal

13. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    It's up to $32,600 with a day to go.

That bike certainly has its place in my dream garage. But I don't think it'll find a space in my real one just yet.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Now at 32.6
    If you think about it thats dirt cheap.
    It was the F-40 of motorcycles in its day so if you were deep into bikes for 33k or so you could have the best of the best dream machine.
    It wasnt my cup of tea. That would be the Bimota Tuatara. Too old and fat now :(

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Among Japanese production bikes it probably is the most collectable of them all, no real argument from me. It checks all the boxes: hand built in limited numbers, very attractive, relatively exotic engine, lots of race history. My VF1000R occupied the same place in Honda's heirarchy and pre-dates the RC30 by four years but never had success on the track, hence it is largely forgotten while the 30 is an icon.

I just remember only a few short years ago you could buy a nice RC30 for the mid-teens or even less sometimes.

This particular bike has lots of HRC unobtanium on it and extensive race history, so its value might be a bit higher than a run-of-the-mill example. But I have to wonder if all of them now would sell for more than $20-25k.

At $15k, the RC30 represents a very cool old bike an owner could use and enjoy, but double that price (for me at least) and I wouldn't enjoy flogging the bike for fear of destroying it, or more to the point I would always be considering how many bikes I could buy with that $30k ('91 ZX-7R, Bimota SB6, Ducati 998, and CBX for that same money).

But as they say, to each his own...

16. Forza Nero

Forza Nero Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    I remember walking past an RC30 in the Montgomery Cycle Center Show room when they were in their old building...I fell in love with it at first sight. Sadly I was just a kid in college at the time and didn't have the money.

17. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    Winning bid: $38,600.

18. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    #18 B R, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    I saw Jim last Sun @ the Rock Store.

EDIT:

Please send a PM or email to chopperdr for what may be Jim's phone number.

Let's not publish personal phone numbers on the board, guys.

Thanks,

Mike

19. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    ChopperDR, I sent you a PM with his business phone numbers.

Mike, Jim G. has a motorcycle / car restoration business easily found with google. I dont think posting a business number will do anything but generate business:)

Little story. I bought mine in 1997 for $11,000, sold it for $9,500 in 1999. Tracked it down (It never left LA) and bought it back in 2005 in better condition for $14K. I needed cash when purchasing my current home last year so the motorcycle collection had to go. I ended up with enough to pay cash for my current TR. The sale of the 30 was a large portion of that.

Now I only have a Rothmans replica RC51. I dont want to say how much I sold the RC30 for....but they do appreciate! I think they might slow down for a while. The main driving factor for their spike was eligibility in vintage class racing in the UK. That combined with a weak dollar.....cheap unstoppable track weapon.

20. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #20 starboy444, Jan 31, 2014
  21. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Beautiful - brings back memories of Joey Dunlop on the island.

22. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    #22 Dan Kyle, Mar 29, 2014
  23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Awesome, iconic bike of the 90s

24. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I always wanted one to. This bike came out back in my motorcycle racing days and it was as close to a factory racebike as possible. Anyhow I always wanted one to put in my house. Mancave so to speak.

Anyhow I have been watching them the last 5 years or so and have seen some nice low mile examles sell in the $12-15K range.

25. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh