RB and why he is off this year ... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

RB and why he is off this year ...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PSk, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Everyone will remeber how Rubens second place finishes with Schumachers 1st place finished gave Ferrari domination over the world championship. Everyone will remember is great driving abilities and outstanding consistent performances. Every F1 book that I have talks about the second place challenger to the title. Also who is to say Rubens will not be champion after MS retires.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Me :D :D :D :D :D :D

Please don't reply to that, I'm just having fun ... We will have to wait and see, but my money won't be on RB.

Pete

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Once MS retires DC will win the title. That's a given. I know so for a fact, because his mother told me.

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    :D

5. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I personally think that after MS wins his 7th title this year, the whole team should put Rubens out front and MS should help to make sure RB wins the title in '05. He has always been there for the team and for MS. They should reward him with his own championship.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a load of rubbish, this is supposed to be racing. RB needs to show that he is deserving of a championship before he can get one on a plate. While RB may have helped MS win a few times (like Austria) the fact of the matter is that MS would and could usually slaughter RB on the track and the team only play these games to stop wearing their cars out and racing each other. You would to if you were running a multi-million dollar team.

The thing that you guys keep forgetting is that MS constantly shows in testing and every single lap he does that he is bloody fast and deserving to be the champion. RB doesn't. Now when testing there are NO team orders, and this is where RB needs to stand up to MS and show the team that he is BETTER than MS and then the team will change their focus.

Remember Ferrari is a racing team and if RB suddenly was faster and keener than MS ... guess what, very very quickly the team will focus on RB. Racing is like that, as soon as MS slows or is not the fastest the team will quickly turn their back on him and focus on the faster guy (or girl) that is the life blood of motor racing ... speed. They only love you while you are the fast man. Just like any sport ... once you are no longer the man, you are GONE.

The reason Ferrari run RB like a number 2 is that he demonstrates only the ability they require for a number 2. That is HIS problem, not MS's or anybody elses. You only get to the top in life if you are fncken good, and constantly beat down your oponents. Thus RB still has a chance, he is on the best team, he needs to win over Todt and Brawn by simply beating MS.

Even if he changes team he still will have to beat MS. I over the years of watching RB's career, as fast as he is and as tidy as he is, have never, ever seen him step up to any of his team mates and basically clearly show the F1 world that he is the man. RB can only blame himself for not impressing the F1 world and getting the number 1 job in a team.

F1 is not some sentimental BS tiddliwinks, as soon as Ferrari tried to play those poofter games another team will get their act together and Ferrari will look like fools.

I say again there are plenty of opportunities for all the Ferrari drivers to upstage MS and get the teams attention. Even if Luca Badoer showed in testing that he had what it takes ... very quickly he would be racing for Ferrari.

An example of why the team loves MS: When the F2002 was first ready for testing, MS interrupted his holiday and turned up at the Ferrari test track and put in a few laps. He was not asked to, this was volunteery, he just could not wait to see the new car. This is dedication and shows passion for racing ... where was RB and the others? ... could not be bothered. This simply shows the team which driver loves and has the passion burning the hardest ...

Pete

7. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    WOW! Ummm. I didn't mean to imply that RB was in any way MS's equal. I must inform you that I have travelled half way around the world on more than one occasion to see MS put foot to ass on race day.

I believe without adoubt the best driver in F1 ever, period. Not Senna, Fangio, or Moss but Michael.

I just thought thr gesture would be nice for Rubens. There is no doubt that the best team in F1 could put him there. I believe with anyone else on the track on any day, except Mr. Schumacher.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think you misunderstood my reply. I'm saying that RB needs to make himself worthy of the WC, not just be gifted it.

What's all this nice stuff ... this is motor racing not a girl's tea party ;)

It would make a mockery of the sport if MS puttered around and ensured that his team mate won an undeserving WC. Even RB would not want the team to do that. I'm sure he would rather beat MS (or whoever) fair and square. It definitely would be a hollow victory, and one that I could not stomach if I was in RB's shoes.

Pete

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I have got to disagree...Even despite the fact that being in a great car like Ferrari helps RB, he is still one of the top notch drivers in my book. He is just about a better driver than any of us on Fchat so I dont know if we are really in a position to criticize him :)

It is easy to point fingers and name mistakes, but every driver makes them...

10. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Extremely valid; Point taken

11. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I blame American auto racing. You know; racing where I can sit on my a**, eat hot dogs, drink beer and watch racing like a tennis match.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds just like Aussie auto racing :D ... saying that I would love to see an Indy 500 live. One of the worlds big races.

Pete

13. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    V8 Supercars? At least they don't drive in circles. Even still, I don't get much of a thrill out of seeing bloated Australian family cars going around a track slower than 250cc Super Karts.

Formula 4000 is the way to go in Aus. Basically Formula 3000 with less powerful engines. I'd love to see then put 2.4 litre V8s in them revving to 15,000rpm and generating 600hp but alas the costs wouldn't allow it. :(

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree. For costs and safety reasons they set the weight limit at 1350kg's which is bloody heavy and rediculous. Because both cars are so identical the racing is very, very processional and the only passing involves somebody punting the other car off. Absolute crap racing ... but they do sound good.

There actually has been talk recently of creating something like Formula 4000 like the old Formula 5000 days which was fantastic. The problem for Australia and New Zealand is cost, and the carbon chassis' while very safe cost too much. Thus I think we need a space frame chassis with near standard v8's or something. This would increase the grids ... man I would think of dusting off my racing license ;).

Pete

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    One thing I noticed while watching the cars at Mallala a few weeks ago was the lack of any great sounding engine, and how they're fairly slow to accelerate. I wouldn't call a 3.8 litre V6 Commodore engine extremely sophisticated! In fact I think it's kind of ironic that a Formula 3000 car is fitted with an American pushrod engine using technology from the 60's.

It's a shame that there are such great budgetary contraints in Australian auto racing and that the series can't be more in line with Formula 3000. That way I think we'd see more drivers moving to top class open wheel catagories instead of turning into V8 supercar drivers and to other closed wheel catagories.

EDIT: I just read something about there possibly being a new international series for 2005 to get closer to F1's engine power, as F3000 is still way off the mark in that regard. I also read that the Holden V8's used in F4000 output 350hp; So I guess you can make up your own minds whether that is powerful enough.

16. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    Ruben is off every year. Nuthin new.

17. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Dont you think most current drivers would give their left n*t for that spot?
    I dont think its sad for Rubens, if MS had a succession of dnfs (could happen) he would have a great chance for a wc. Woudnt be true if he was on any other team.
    Matt

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Continued here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20523

Pete

19. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I agree, this is off?

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep. You obviously do not understand F1 and that currently the Ferrari is miles ahead of all other cars (and driver combinations). The only teams that can push Ferrari are Renault and BAR. Both Renault and BAR teams have drivers with not much winning experience in them. RB has been around for a long time thus SHOULD be miles better than those 4 other drivers.

Thus 2nd for RB should be a walk in the park ... thus what happened in the 3 races where he did not finish 2nd ... ?

Now when Williams and McLaren were firing it was a different story because we had experienced racers driving pretty good cars ... now we have F1 winning virgins against a 6 time world champ and RB. Pretty onesided IMO ;)

Pete

ps: You guys can keep judging RB as brilliant, that is fine and cool, but you are puting him way up on a pedistal that IMO he does not deserve. If Ferrari had not wanted a NON-threatening 2nd driver RB would never have got a good car and thus the results. He demonstrated bugger all in all other cars except for ocassionally good performances. That is cool but to be better than average you have to be good every race IMO.

Also think about why Ferrari chose him ... ie. non-threatening, a perfect number 2. That in a nut shell relegates him to an average driver IMO.

They did not select RB (no matter what he likes to think) as the next WC after MS ... no no they did not. Italians do not think ahead like that ... ;)