raikonen signed up thru 2010? what a mistake (spoiler) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

raikonen signed up thru 2010? what a mistake (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ross, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Mclarens have been superior on most tracks this year. But Kimi should be beating Massa at least...

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Problem is: By the time he gets that pressure, the race is already lost...

3. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    In all fairness, in the end, Hamilton was P7 to Kimi's P9. The end result isn't that much better for Hami (but yes, Kimi drove poorly for most of it).

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. It is a bit annoying to see him pull out these laps: He shows that he has the speed to run everybody into the ground, but he just doesn't have the will do to so. How bizarre and what a waste of an immense talent.

I so wanted to see him this season drive circles around everybody, yet for some reason he chose not to do that. Pitty.

5. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I am really surprised at the venom directed towards Kimi. I am not happy at his performance, but I can not believe that Kimi does not want to win and is on cruise control. Maybe there is just something not working between him and the team. What ever it is, Ferrari needs to fix it, the team needs him if they are to win the WCC. I am still holding out hope for Kimi that he and team will figure out what is wrong and he can help Massa win the WDC.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Kimi lost me today as a fan and supporter. I think he should just get $h!t-canned and get someone in there who has the motivation to win.

Why?

Well, before the race today, the drivers did their "parade" which consisted of them all on the back of a flat bed truck going round the track slowly being interviewed. Just about every driver was very nice, had some nice words for their fans. Webber thanked the fans that came from Oz to see him. Alonso thanked the Spanish fans. Massa spoke a bit in Italian much to the fans delight - he got a laugh when the interviewer asked "whats the best thing about you being able to have changed out your engine" and Massa smiled and said "uhhh, having a new engine". Lewis thanked the fans for coming (to a huge roar of boos and hisses). Trulli was very nice, so was Vettel, so were all the drivers - they all had something NICE to say to the fans at the track and to their home-country fans. Except Kimi.

When asked what he was going to do, he said about 20 words that the car was OK but they missed the boat in qualifying and "it will be a hard race but we will try but it is very cold so it will be hard". The interviewer tried to pry something else out of him and asked if he will dice it up with Lewis... Kimi just repeated that it will be a hard race and it's cold and he will try to get a good result. When confronted with something like "A good turnout for Ferrari at this race, isn't it?" Kimi just said "yes always there is a lot of people at Monza". He coulda said "yes thanks everyone for coming - I will try to do my best for you". Or he could have at least *acknowledged* the fans that came to the track. Or maybe he could have acknowledged some of the many many many Finnish flags around the track?

What a jackass.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that he should get sacked and replaced by Vettel or Alonso, but I still like the guy a lot. Just because he is so against the grain and against the PR machine that F1 has become. F1 needs its rebels in my book. Having said that, however if you are a slooooow rebel, then it ain't much fun anymore...

Speaking of flags: I saw a bunch of white flags with a green 6 star in them during the podium celebrations. What the heck were those? They looked like something from a peace or greenpeace movement, but I'm sure they weren't. Any ideas?

8. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Strange Greenpeace-like symbols at a F1 race -> has to be a new Honda marketing idea

9. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    And he's still crap at qualifying.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#35 DF1, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    Is that true? Florian LH is now saying in the press had it kept raining, he would have won. He now blames the weather for his loss. Not cooking his tires or anything at the end.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Turn off the salary then and let's see how motivated he is. So far, even with the big $, he's under-performed. He inherited the title last season when LH shot himself in the foot. This season, he's only half turned up. If winning the WDC is so important, why isn't he showing up? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if he has the speed, he needs to get on with the job. Otherwise, his compensation is just taking resources away from other areas of development.

CW

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    IIRC, yes. There was a period of rain, before the first pit stops I think, when Massa was constantly driving the fastest laps yet. I can be wrong though, maybe someone can confirm my observation.

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank

I was told all this stuff about him before he came to Ferrari and I tried to tell everyone here that he would not work out and now we have seen it. He is one of those guys that cannot get enough excitement out of anything. Ill bet he would fall asleep doing a base jump. I also believe that he gets depressed easily and therefor starts drinking and partying. No better place to party than F1 weekends all around the world. I feel pretty safe in saying that he more than likely will not be here in 2010 and a small chance he will leave for next season or part way in. Sad for the Ferrari fans as the WCC hangs on him.
    Hope your having fun Mike.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    yes, on extreme wets at the first 10-15 laps i think, Massa was the fastest driver. then came Hammi, and Kimi finally, with 5 laps to go as usual..

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Thanks for chiming in, Brian. So Hamilton was the fastest in wet-but-not-that-wet-conditions, rendering his talk about winning if the rain had started again at least questionable.

16. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Very entertaining thread guys! I believe there were a few similar threads to this one concerning Kimi's attitude, driving and motivation last season too. :D :D

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes but that includes hamilton going into an extra pitstop to change to inters....otherwise he would have been 2nd or 3rd !

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I think Kimis main problem is that he doesnt play well with others.
    He almost forced his team-mate, who is leading his team in the WDC, off at Spa.
    At Monza he did OK till being passed by Hamster then he took his ball ( talent ) and went home.
    Only to come out later and show us who's the king of the schoolyard and and set fast lap.

Such a waste of talent.
    A Prima Donna.

19. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This is absolutely hilarious. Wasn't so long ago when you could insert "Massa" into every anti Kimi post here. Maybe adjust it a little as Massa was never blamed for a lack of interest or drinking.

Vettel wins one race more for strategy than anything else and everyone wants him in a Ferrari already? For sure the guys a big talent and everyone recognized that the moment he stepped in for Kubica last year. I personally was bummed when he didn't get to keep the seat. He is not however anything close to Schumacher. The closest today was LH who like him or not sliced and diced his way up from the back of the grid to 2nd before pitting. Had he taken the gamble to go to intermediates he would've been higher in the finishing and quite frankly I have no doubt he'd have made quick work of Vettel. Given how the gambling bit them in the arse in qualifying I can forgive them not wanting to repeat the mistake during the race.

Anyway, I'm not anti Kimi at this point and I'd rather Vettel not move to Ferrari just yet either. A couple wrong moves and you savages will be all over him forgetting all your sunshine posts today. I say let him develop a bit more elsewhere for now. Lastly, I feel badly for Bourdais at the start. I really think he could have shown for a good finish today.

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I have to agree with you about Kimi and Vettel. Apparently the powers at Ferrari understand there is a problem with Kimi not apparent to those of us watching the TV, that they would extend his contract.

I do thin though in 2011 you will see the possibilty of a Massa/Vettel match, assuming those same powers do not blow it with Massa chasing him off to a team like Toyota.

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Maybe. Or, it's possible that LdM can't disassociate himself from his first driver pick and admit he's been a disappointment? Now, KR IS the reigning WDC, so the pick "appears" good in retrospect. But, all throughout last season, we saw the same lackadaisical performances for the most part. KR trailed LH by a roughly similar margin at the same time. So, it's not like KR was the overwhelming odds-on-favorite for WDC. In fact, it literally took until the last race (and LH's mistakes in the previous two rounds and failure to lock it up numerically) to declare KR the come-from-behind winner. So, I simply don't see KR as the Champion driver that he is by title. I give him credit for winning it, but he won it due to LH's losing it. Not to say KR is a bad driver. He's proven that he can be the best driver on track when he gets the car working to suit him and the right conditions. However, car set-up is part of the overall driver package. If he's no good at it, it's a weakness. Strategy is a team decision. And, the development and fabrication of the car is the team's, too, but ultimately it boils down to the manufacturer. Did Kimi pick the Carbon Industry brakes over the Brembos? Don't know, but whoever did, if they were a factor, may have made the wrong call for the conditions. So, this is extraordinarily complex, but to dump KR now would also be the equivalent of LdM's admitting that dumping MS in '06 was a mistake. That's two, IMO.

CW

22. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'd have to agree with you. They certainly love you when you're on top, but the minute you makes a few mistakes, or hit a rough patch, they turn on you QUICKLY. I've always liked Kimi, and still do. His performance at Spa was indicative that he still has the drive to win.

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #48 ross, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
    yes we might be beating up on kimi when he is down....but it is in such contrast to what we can all remember from schumi's days at the helm...he never gave up, he didnt fade in the middle of the race, adversity was a challenge, there was no bad car or bad day that he didnt fight like crazy to get to the front. i saw it in person in monaco in 96 when he dragged that POS that he had just inherited onto pole position. i saw it in barcelona in the same year - worst car on the grid, stuck in 6th gear and he finished first.

here we have a starting point better than hamilton's and a far less succesful day. same car as massa, meaning he can set it up like massa if he wants and since everyone considers him a better driver he should have done better than massa. failure all round. why? i dunno, but its pretty disappointing for somebody who has talent and is paid a fortune.

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good post, I call it band wagon jumping.

25. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL...:D hehe slowwww mumbling rebel..;)