raikonen signed up thru 2010? what a mistake (spoiler) | FerrariChat

raikonen signed up thru 2010? what a mistake (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ross, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    todays performance was abysmal. a straight fight with equal chances to hamilton. result = failure.

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I just wanted to create exactly this thread. Kimi sucked BIG TIME today. How big has LdM's ego to be to extend Kimis contract for 2 years?!!! Fire Kimi and bring Vettel in NOW....

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    FASTEST LAP LAST 5 LAPS!

Give him that :p

4. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Too little , too late!!! Kimi sucks big time! No motivation whatsoever!

5. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They may have signed him to the end of 2010 but Im sure he wont be here. Im guessing Vettel will be in that seat along side Massa in 2010 and if Kimi does nothing in the last 4 races this year....then there is an outside slim chance that he will be gone for 2009. I thought he was coming to life on Friday but it is very obvious now that he is done like toast.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #6 CornersWell, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    So, do you think he'll quit of his own accord or SpA will terminate his contract (which they've just extended) and pay him (very handsomely, I'm sure) for the breach? The more I see of SpA's decision making, the less I like of it. I think they should have kept him on pins and needles until the VERY last possible second. It's what the Old Man would have done.

Previously I said I like KR at $5MM per year, but he was a joke at $50MM. Can I amend that? I'm not sure he's even worth $1MM at the moment. '07 WDC or not.

CW

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It was a mistake. They should have hired Vettel instead.

They did it for the same reason, they extended Massa's contract last year: To buy his support for the team mate in the remaining races. That worked well last year, but I doubt it'll have any effect this year.

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Lest we not forget that Kimi can still retire any time he wants. I wouldn't be at all surprised if calls it quits at the end of this year or next.

9. LUV 4REZS

LUV 4REZS Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Leonard P
    I just don't understand why at the last few laps that he starts to drive like a bat out of hell? I had said before that he may be starting the race with a heavy load of fuel and a dry setting for the car, now I can't believe that. The car usually starts the race in better condition than at the end of the race, tires, that's a different story, I really don't believe that had anything to do with it either. He got another year added to his contract and I am sure that he is making huge amounts of money driving with Ferrari, I just don't understand why he can't even seam to buy a win now. I am sure that he was happy that Ferrari extended his contract, I just can't put 2 and 2 together with him anymore.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It takes a while to sober up.

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I think it's rather obvious that the car sucked with the full wets and didn't come to life until he got some laps on the inters. The car and/or the setup they had just doesn't respond in the really wet stuff.

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sure, why not? He's made $100MM or so. He's set for life.

Seriously, what motivation does he have left? Carrot and the stick!

CW

13. LUV 4REZS

LUV 4REZS Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Leonard P
    lol...lol...maybe he should stop putting his wants before his needs or it may come back to haunt him like it is starting to do right now.

14. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Massa was the fastest on the grid with full wets. It was the driver, not the car.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Yeah he'd be great at Time Attacks

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to make an excuse for Kimi, but I seriously doubt that Massa's car had the same setup as Kimi's. Kimi's was set up for dry conditions, which is why he struggled in qualifying (unlike Hami who lost Q1 because of the tire screw up).

17. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #17 355, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    Ahhh Vettel's car was set up for dry as well. Kimi has no excuses. Each driver set up the car to his own likeing. Its very hard to set up a car with a hangover.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. I wasn't making an excuse for Kimi, just argueing the fact that the two Ferraris had the same setup. I don't believe that. Not that it matters. :)

19. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Point taken! Didn't think of that.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Kimi today was the Kimi in Mclaren 2006. not putting any fight, just a failure.

i can't believe his performance today. Monza was his last ever chance to be WDC this year, whatever it's left of it. pathetic, shameful performance. to think Hammi started behind him and finished 7th is like rubbing salt into the wound.

Ferrari apparently still has faith in Kimi tho, hence the renewal.

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I don't believe Kimi really is that bad. There's something wrong with the car. Even Massa is strugling. Last year it was the wheel base. This year it seems they can't get it to work in cold/wet conditions. That said Kimi isn't really proving his number one status or paycheck. I hope he has finally given up hope to win the WDC this year and starts supporting Massa. But he has to do a better job than today to be able to help Massa!

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i agree. but then, it wasn't just in the wet when Kimi proved to be a wrong driver choice. he's been sleeping this whole year.

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm so disgusted with KR I'd even bring Montoya back to F1 and he can have KR's seat...now that is really low low low!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The renewal was to get his support for the remaining races.

25. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Kimi was making around $28 million at McLaren, he was far from poor before he came to Ferrari, so even at the beginning money wasn't the motive. I think his #1 motivation was winning the WDC, he came so close twice at McLaren, then and finally did it with the prestige of being at Ferrari----the ultimate way to win the WDC. As if there wasn't already enough pressure on him, I guess Kimi needs the pressure of thinking he's about the lose the race to get his fire going!!! I know it's apparently a trait of Finns to be very cool headed, but he really needs to get angry or passionate or something if he wants to keep his seat at Ferrari. If he could show the speed in quali and the beginning, he'd be at P1 right now....