"Raikkonen says he should be on top" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Raikkonen says he should be on top"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 62 250 GTO, Apr 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    We criticize Alonso for whining because he blames every mishap on someone elses mistake and never acknowlages it might be his own fault. Nowhere in this quote does Kimi put his misfortune on someone else's fault. He is simply stating that there is still work to be done, and I don't think there is any argument that this isn't true (Transmission and cooling issues).

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

3. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Didn't he pass him as smoke was billowing out of Shumi's motor? I thought this happened after he popped it?

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    thats was 2006, they were discussing about 2005.

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Oh, I see. I didn't know he worked alone... :rolleyes:

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

In no way did I say Alonzo's stats were crap or didn't matter, you said that and it's false. And putting words in my mouth doesn't work to win your argument either. Just read the posts.

If MS raced back in the days with Senna, Clark and Fangio he may not have won as many titles but I'm sure he would have been competitive.

Your answers are totally based on half truths. You dislike Michael Schumacher and that's well known, so any talk about him will be twisted.

Alonzo entered a decent car in F1 when Schumacher was already years past his prime and the oldest driver on the grid. He and David C. are the two old coots and everyone else of importance is basically in their immediate prime.

You used the word experienced instead of old when you compared Alonzo to beating Schumacher. And now you claim that Michael Schumacher never beat Senna on the track??? You twist and twist everything until it breaks I see.

MS's first full year was in 92, that gave him 2 seasons to learn and compete. Senna was still active and very competitive, in '94 who won the first two races of the season? Was it MS? Didn't he win the first four?

So while the time on track with both drivers saw brief, MS in fact did beat Senna.

And again with the twisting of basic info, In Alonzo's first F1 championship it didn't matter if MS was at his peak or not he was what 36-37 years old? How is that the height of a career? A year left before retirement, come on!

Besides the Bridgestone tires were total crap and that's why FA won his first championship. 2004 it was the tires that kept MS from winning and back in '99 the broken leg kept him from winning, back in '97 that collision kept him from winning. So if you could tack on an extra 3 championships, how would Alonzo fair? It's not exactly a fair discussion when things are twisted are they?

And as for "little reason" there IS little reason why FA would race into his late 30's... not many drivers can.

Seriously, just know the facts and live by them like everyone else.

And yeah yeah 97 and Damon Hill! Whoo hoo! Big stories, just racing stories. Facts are facts no matter which side you stand on.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You have to always show the bad light for the ones you don't like even if there isn't a bad light.

Kimi stated the car isn't where he wants it and after a few test sessions everything will work out and you consider this complaining?

Remember when FA was getting his blaming list ready in case he lost the Championship? Oh the FIA and Ferrari are teaming up against me, Bernie won't help me more by writing rules to put Ferrari at a disadvantage anymore, my car is unreliable, my team mate is badmouthing me in the press, if I lose the year, you all now know why...

Give me a break! Alonzo is a JuanM Cry baby when you don't win but a total playboy hotshot, king of the world when you do win.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    '99 broken leg was MS's fault. He drove like a bloody idiot after a very poor start and tried to pass Irvine when it was never going to happen. I do not care what Ferrari said afterwards, MS was never going to make that corner. Watch the tape again, it was crazy driving.

'97 again was MS's fault for showing off. He did not need to pass DC, he was already miles ahead. He showed a massive lack of WDC maturity again.

Don't get me wrong, MS is very, very fast and DID mature into a WDC winning driver, but he is a better race winner than a WDC winner.

'94 he won because he bullied Hill out, after loosing control of his car. On any other track MS would have been out, retired due to damaging his car. On this track luckily he was able to smash into Hill and take Hill out.

'95 car was miles superior, a walk over.

'2000 to '2005 car was usually miles superior and he had his team mate acting as blocker.

If you want to praise MS, talk individual races, especially the miracle ones from '94 to '2000 ... one of the greatest drivers I have ever seen, but by far not the best WDC driver we have ever seen, that was Prost.

Prost in even cars with great team mates drove ALWAYS for the WDC and thus won 44 (I think) races when he had multiple WDC's on the grid.

Oh and that '94 season, MS did not beat Senna in a fair fight, ie. Senna did not finish any race of that season (if my memory is right) either due to mechanical issues or spinning off. A fair fight to me is both cars finishing. MS though was going to beat him, but unfortunately we never got to see that properly ... Imola was shaping up to be a cracker of a race. If the accident had not happened I bet Senna and MS would have lapped the entire field multiple times and we would still be talking about it like we talk about Fangio's 57 German GP race.

Pete

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So Alonzo's first Championship was won with the Bridgestone Ferrari seconds per lap behind each race and championship number two wouldn't have happened either because MS's motor blew up while leading losing the 10 points and he only lost the Championship by 5 points.

So if everything is all lollipops and iced cream, MS would have 12 Championships!

Yeah twisting and manipulating can sure work to your advantage alright!

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Tell me that this season isn't going to be an interesting one. You got Alonso in his prime with a new team and always in the hunt. You got Kimi and Massa in a surprize switch in position. Once Kimi gets his car and his team relationships working you will have a top contender. And then there's Hamilton. What a shock - a star rookie. Well, not a shock I guess to Ron Denis who has been cultivating this little "ringer" for 8 years. And lastly, there's the possibility that BMW is getting their act together in F1.

This is gonna be a great year! I'm hoping that no one or team gets in the rhythm of winning so we can finally have the show we've wanted for the past 10 years! I liked Shuey and Mika and Senna and Prost, but this year looks to be more entertaining.

11. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    It always amazes when people argue against Schumacher being the best by sayinig that the number of WDC's, wins, etc dont really matter because they are stats and dont tell the whole story, but then use WDC's to argue that Alonso is better. If you cant use stats for one, you cant use it for the other.

Also, have we all fogotten about Alonso's whining towards the end of last year, accusing Renault sabotaging his championship because he was leaving the team? Accusing his own team of sabotaging his season when he had a small bad streak? AFAIAC he is a moron, and I have yet to meet one Spaniard who actually likes him. Those I know feel he is an embarrasment because of his comments and actions.

However, he is a very good F1 driver and nobody can take that away. I guess he feels he can act like an idiot.

BTW, people who say Kimi hasnt earned being a WDC because he only has 10 wins. How many wins did Alonso have before winning the title? What had he accomplished?

Ernesto

12. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Ferrari has said that they have some new developments coming in to be tested in Barcelona, and then used in the race. They seemed pretty optimistic, so this might play out quite well for us.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I meant race fight, and yes unfortunately these are numerous variables so we hardly ever see it ... but it is great when we do.

I will always only credit MS with maybe 5 championships, not the 7 ...
    Pete

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    to me, FA is a good driver, hell...he's a heck of driver given for his age. but also, he's not a team player and big whiner when everything doesn't turn out right for him. there's where i lose respect for him.

15. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Before any WDC won his Championship, he technically hadn't achieved much. But the fact is, Alonso DID win the WDC...TWICE...while competing against Schumacher in a Ferrari. The only other driver who can say that is Mika.

Not bad company to have, I would think...

16. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Or none at all, if you want to pursue that line of argument.

Had Senna not died at Imola, he would almost certainly have won several more championships and countless GPs. Schumacher would almost certainly not have gone to Ferrari. He might have finsihed his career with no championships while Senna would have won 8 or 10 potentially and won over 100 GPs.

This line of speculation is meaningless, what matters is what happened, not what might have happened. What happened is that MS took advantage of the opportunities he had (maybe cheated a bit in the process) and won 7 WDCs. Alonso also took advantage of the opportunities he had and beat Schumacher to the last two titles. Everything is else is meaningless speculation.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would agree with you, maybe only 4 of those MS chmpionships were in competitive years. Four is still incredible.

Using the same reasoning, that is why I only credit Alonso with earning one of his championships.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I can see that logic, but if applied, F1 throws a bunch of its champions out of the hall of fame. To name a few examples:

Phil Hill on the 156, Emerson on the ground breaking Lotus, Andretti on the first car with skirts, Rosberg lucking into 82 cause everybody else was gone, Mansell in the electronic Williams, Villeneuve and Hill and on and on and on.

And these are just a few that come to my mind, I bet the history is full of others. At the same token there are drivers (e.g. Moss, Villeneuve) who never got the title, but should have.

About the only thing I can say for sure is that a good indicator for a truly great driver is when he has won multiple championships.

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    +1 Well put.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1.

Well put

21. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +1
    I also agree. If this season continues in it's very competitive nature and FA wins the WDC...then I will begin to respect him as a truly great driver. IMHO FA has not "earned" the truly great driver status yet. He is a very talented and impressive driver and like I said, if he wins the WDC this season, it will be very hard to deny him the truly great driver status.
    IMHO.

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1000

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Had I started racing go-carts at 5, had a rich dad who could hire me the best trainer and track times, had the skill to win every race and got hired by Ferrari, McLaren or Williams then I would have certainly won several championships....if a frog did not hop it would not bump its butt at the time...

25. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Sorry Ernesto but I have a very hard time believing this. If this were true and you indeed hold the pulse of Spain's opinion then why, oh why has this year’s race sold out? And why have the last several years sold out? I mean if everyone there feels he's an idiot and an embarrassment why fill the seats? Because they like F1? Hardly. Before FA Motor Cycle racing was king in Spain and F1 took second seat. Attendance numbers at the Spanish GP were no where near what they are now that FA is racing.

I'm willing to bet that this year the majority of the stands will be filled with people wearing and showing McLaren colors supporting FA as they have been the past several years.

Everyone screams about how bad it is for FA to open up his mouth and let it fly. But, if he didn't what else would we be talking about for the next several weeks? :)