"Raikkonen says he should be on top" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Raikkonen says he should be on top"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 62 250 GTO, Apr 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    On a different note: Is it just me or does this thread title sound kinda dirty?

2. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Only if Kimi is hanging out with Ralf these days... :D

3. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I gotta agree, it is a bit odd.

4. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I dont think so. Many more of us like Kimi because he is a cool guy. We make fun of his antics, ie. getting drunk and not talking. We don't like Alonso because of his character, ie. whining/blaming others. You can change your behaviors but you can never change your character.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You're a Moderator, change the title to

"Kimi says competitors should be on their knees."

6. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    The FIA changed many rules to make Ferrari & Schumacher less dominant. The cars did the talking for his first WDC, where the reliable Renault beat out the better McLaren. This last year, the Renault was the better car for the first half, but Schumacher in the second half was the dominant driver. Schumacher fought to make a uncompetitive work, Alonso on the other hand has always had the better car.

7. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Kimi says that he is not good at qualifying which leads to "bad" race results. Alonso blames light fixtures on uncompetitiveness. BIG DIFFERENCE.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL

Yeah right, that would take out the ambiguity. Nott...

9. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Oh come on, you cannot compare Damon to Fernando. If Mclaren wasn't that competitive this year, and Felipe had a rookie teammate and then breezed to the WC, then that would be an example of a Damon Hill kind of guy. Fernando on the other hand, is a proven talent, and he's beaten Michael on track a number of times. There is a reason he's driving for Mclaren, they only want the best, you think Ron Dennis would hire Massa? HAH!

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In both cases Alonso showed maturity way beyond his years and drove very consistently to maintain his championship lead. He had everything to lose, thus drove for points.

If MS had done that at his early years for Ferrari then he would have bagged a Ferrari WDC a few years earlier than he did ... instead (wet Spa for example) he went all out for the win or was showing off.

Alonso proved he 100% is the real deal at Suzuka when the WDC was wrapped up by passing MS around the outside on the fastest corner of the whole season!
    Pete

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    And yet Fisi was nowhere to be found in the driver's rankings at the end of the year? How is that possible if the Renault was such a great car? And if the McLaren was a better car, why did neither driver win the WDC or the team the WCC?

So Schumacher didn't earn any of his titles from 1999 to 2004 because the Ferrari was the dominant car?!?

Actually Jensen Button outscored both of them the last 7 races of the season, if I am not mistaken.

By the way, how is it that when Alonso wins, it is the car but when Schumacher wins, it is his talent?

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    not according to his own fan club.......

13. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Guys, I think tifosiron was being sarcastic. He said "this is a Ferrari site, in that light...."

Alonso is a great talent, but for guys like that parker guy to say he is far better that Schumi is laughable. Parker, you should stick to peddling CD ponzi schemes and telling us about how great your M5 is. Leave the commenting on F1 to the less bitter towards the true greatest driver.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You just better hope Damon Hill never meets you in a dark alley. With a lead pipe. And something to stand on.

15. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    LOL!
    Damon was actually tall for an F1 driver though, like 5'11, so I don't get the "something to stand on" comment.

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    So, you do realize that Alonso - at his age is better than those drivers, right?

17. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    I disagree because it could never happen. Alonso could never make a statement as professional as that. FA's statement would once again be filled with some rediculous excuse and would probably sound something like this..."a huge light fell on my car"...(implying that his engineers were not smart enough to fix it)..."so that's why I wasn't fast".

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

That tells you right there how BAD the 'racing' is today: If you are not in the first two rows - if you are not in a Ferrari or a McLaren, you have no chance at all. Sad deal.

19. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Huh?

A late 30's Schumacher is/was still better than a young 20's Alonso. I can't imagine comparing a mid 20's Schumi with mid-20's Alonso. It wouldn't be pretty.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    At the same age, Schumacher had yet to win his first WDC, Alonso already has two. The point is that Alonso has achieved more than Schumacher did when he was the same age.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I am not bitter toward MS or anyone else for that matter. And I agree that MS was good. But, I pull for the F1 driver, not necessarily the team...and I like Alonso. And, in case you haven't noticed, Alonso has in fact won more WDCs than MS or anyone else for that matter had at the same age...and he hasn't ever been caught or been accused of cheating like your hero MS... and I have no idea what you mean by a "...CD ponzi..." scheme? Unless you are referring to the Burnlounge project my wife was involved in, but it was music downloads via the internet, not CDs. Finally, there are a lot more people out there that agree that M5s are great cars...I think you would too if you drove one...Love, Frankie xxx ooo

22. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I enjoyed my 2000 BMW M5 but I can't stand the new Chris Bangle design nor that ridiculous I-drive system. Don't even get me started on that damn SMG.

That's why I just bought myself an E63... :D

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yeah but we are talking many, many years apart. The cars were harder to drive back then, you could actually make up time on the leaders back then and you could pass back then. If a driver could copy a career from an F1 driver, who wouldn't want to be the best in the record books?

And in no way could Alonzo ever come close the to amount of wins or the amount of Championships that MS has.

And you compare Alonzo to Schumacher winning two championships when he's young. Can he win four when he's "old"?

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    So what you are saying then is that MS's achievements pale in comparison to Senna's, Clark's, and Fangio's, since the cars were progressively more difficult to drive as you go back in time??? If the cars were harder to drive back then, should Schumacher not be that much more able to defeat a driver like Alonso since he was so good in those more difficult cars???

By your logic, since a young Alonso was able to beat an experienced Schumacher but a young Schumacher was unable to beat an experienced Senna, then Senna must be a better driver than Schumacher...

I would say Alonso's achievements, defeating Schumacher while driving an inferior car at the height of Schumacher's career, is as noteworthy an achievement as any.

We won't know the answer to that until Alonso retires. There is little reason to believe that if he remains with top teams and races until he is in his late 30's that he can't.

Perhaps.

But he did beat Schumacher when Michael was as experienced as he was ever going to be.

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You should have given it a chance. The I-drive is the best system control I have ever seen in any car...and very simple to use...even my 9 year old picked up on how to use it in less than an hour or so while riding with me down the road. These magazine writers must just be idiots to claim it is difficult to use as it is very simple. It is a great way to control the numerous functions of a BMW without having so many buttons, knobs, switches and/or dials all over the dash...looked at a Porsche dash lately...yuck! As far as SMG is concerned, I too was against it at first after driven my e39 M5 for 117K virtually trouble free miles. But, after driving my e60 M5 22k+ miles so far, I would never go back to an antiquated foot clutch/stick shift system for my daily driver. I have had zero issues with the SMG and it just suits the luxury sports sedan nature of the M5 IMHO...I have even driven it at Road Atlanta and found it to be a blast on the track too. It does take a few weeks to learn to use it good enough to get smooth shifts though. But, then again it took me longer than that to learn to use a foot clutch/stick shift system smoothly too...back when I was 15! The next M5 will likely have a dual clutch system which is supposedly even better.