Radio wiring install | FerrariChat

Radio wiring install

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, Aug 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Good morning to all! The 90's era radio/CD player in my 87 seems to have reached its expiration date, and I plan on replacing it with something more modern. Does anyone have the factory harness wire colors for the power leads, and is it safe to assume that the black in the harness is ground? Looks like there was some creative wiring used when this one was hooked up, so tracing back may be risky.
    Also, does any part of the under dash half of the console come out, or is the console all one piece? Thank you!

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    From the drawings it shows the following
    The drawing shows a radio cassette connected to a 2x20 watt amplifier.
    The amp has 5 wires coming from it- brown/white, brown/green, black,green,grey.
    The brown/ white has 2 outlets on the same terminal on the amp and one wire goes to the radio where it splits into 2- this will be a common supply. You can pull the fuse to work on it
    Both the amp and radio have earth connections
    Also one big wire( no colour indicated) connects amp to radio
    Radio has aerial imput
    Brown/white is the supply
    The brown/green, black,green and grey are shown as speaker wires to left and right.
    I would think the radio will just pull out if you have the correct radio pick tools

3. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thanks for the quick reply. That is a big help.
    Yeah, I can get the radio out the front (Using the tried and true 2 butter knife operation!) but the existing wiring seems to be connected deep in the console, almost to the bulkhead, so not easy to get to. Thanks again!

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You should only have to disconnect the power and aerial wires from the radio, i dont know what the other wire is on the diagram, the wires going into the console should be going to the amp and you dont need to remove if a simple radio swap

5. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    OK. The radio I'm removing is aftermarket with an aftermarket spliced in harness, so I wasn't aware of an amp being there at all, though I do see two large RCA plugs coming off the back of the radio and disappearing into the darkness. It didn't occur to me that the power antenna would be connected to the radio any way other than by the usual antenna plug, so will have to explore that as well.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It maybe the amp has been taken out if the radio has its own, be sure you dont damage the speakers with too much power.

7. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    My Mondial also has an aftermarket radio when I got it. A POS and it didn’t work. I could not make heads from tails and brought it to a car audio shop. The shop said I had a decent AMP under the passenger seat. I did not need to hook up the AMP because the deck has a decent amp built in. ...you may want to check if you still have the AMP too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Will do on the amp search. Whoever put this radio in went right around the factory speakers and put others in, luckily without doing major damage. I might attempt to hook up the originals while doing this just to see how or if they work. After 32 years, probably not much hope for them.

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Greatscott I have this radio in my car, probably only a couple of years old and I am replacing it if you’d like to buy it. Has a remote and seems to be pretty modern. The only catch is I can’t sell it till I have it removed to put my new one in.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x799/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I'm removing a Kenwood, so that may make things easier. Price? I'm in no hurry since I will be away from the car for about a month.

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I don’t know man. What’s it worth?

12. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    No idea. I'll do some looking on the interwebs and see if I can figure it out!

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009