458 - Radio not working, TPMS wont calibrate, No Nav, & other problems | FerrariChat

458 Radio not working, TPMS wont calibrate, No Nav, & other problems

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darkostoj, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Dealer isn't taking work until september, and there are no other shops around here I have had luck with. I now try to fix everything I can on my own and have had good success with it. However, this one has me stumped.

The car runs and drives normally

Here are the things that I noticed are malfunctioning
    1. TPMS light on and not calibrating
    2. Right screen only on speedometer, no nav, no radio etc
    3. Right side controls do not work and the backlights for them are not even on (radio, nav controls)
    4. Seat heater error on dash

I had a scanner clear all fault codes and it didn't make any change.

I read that a battery could cause these problems? But it has the biggest antigravity lithium ion battery they make.

Any ideas?

2. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Also, passenger window goes all the way down whenever the door is opened.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I would have said battery, even if new/big.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    try the battery. i have had similar problems (albeit not as extensive) and it was the battery.

5. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Ok, I feel dumb. I didn't realize the radio/nav screen had to be turned on by holding the on button. That is working.

So, an updated problem list.

1. Left seat heater malfunction
    2. Tire pressure sensors won't calibrate
    3. Rear license plate light error (has new bulbs)
    4. Passenger windows goes all the way down when door is opened

6. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Car sat for a week and the battery was at 13.5 volts before I tried starting it also

7. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Passenger window limit switch seems like it is not working properly based on what the scan tool says.

I can use the scan tool to activate the license plate lights, so from my reading it seems the bulbs/computers are sensitive to voltage. I will try another bulb set and see if it makes a difference.

Will update those two problems. Still working on the TPMS & LH seat heater error

8. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    I would be tempted to disconnect the live terminal on the battery for 30min, reconnect and then go through the full restart procedure It is one here or in the owners manual). There are a number of key calibrations to be reset including the window sensors.

9. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Swapped out different bulb's and housings. That fixed that problem.

I don't think any of my problems are due to the battery.

I can see the window limit switch is not triggered on my scan tool. My left door works properly and when it is up in the closed position it triggers the switch. Doesn't do it on the passenger side. I will need to take the panel off an inspect.

I am going to order a TPMS tool to check battery life and see if the sensors are bad and go from there.

Still haven't got anywhere with the LH seat heater warning light yet.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    TPMS won’t calibrate of the tire pressures are too far off. When the car is cold make sure the tires are close to the book values for pressure by using a good outboard gauge.

Bad TPMS batteries will also prevent calibration. How old is your car?

Not sure why you are seeing a lot individual errors tho. When did you replace your battery and is this when the problems started?

SV

11. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    I got the TPMS working, How? I don't know. These Italian cars man....

Today was a productive day. Got a lot fixed.

Tomorrow going to tear into the passenger door and see what's going on there.

Also have a set of Yellow calipers I am planning on swapping for my black ones. May try and knock that out too.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Stupid question but you did drive your car so the TPMS WOULD RECALIBRATE ?

The seat heater error , well I got that and it was the battery. Replaced , gone

13. darkostoj

darkostoj Rookie

Aug 30, 2016
    Yes, would try and recalibrate many times while driving with no luck.

Battery has been rock solid so far. Very happy with it.

14. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Does like the errors are not related. Did they all happen at once? That may help us diagnose.

Surprised that your scan tool picked up the window limit switch; most only do P-codes.

I have the seat-heater indication as well (but the right-hand side). I never really dug into it

15. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I get the seat heater indication occasionally, both right and left. No rhyme or reason. Comes on, then just goes off. I think she just wants attention. She just needs to know you are thinking about her!