Radiator foam strip | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Radiator foam strip

Discussion in '308/328' started by jersey308gtb, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I thought it'd be for sound proofing more than anything. Is it really for airflow to the rad? Does it have markings on it when new??

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes....No

3. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

I got mine when I got my car cover a few months ago when MCP out of stock for the pieces around the radiator already. I must be lucky to get the last bits from Eurospares if MCP was their supplier.

Had a discount at the time but still hefty amount and they are not exact sizes and needed trimming. Suits me lazy bones and I thought it should be done together with the replacing of the FIM radiator with the correct Puma type.

I think you can still get the hood cover pieces still but not those 3 pieces around the radiator from MCP.

4. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
    I'm looking to replace mine and have found a company that will supply a 1000mm x 30mm x30mm strip for £2.10! Is the foam very firm, firm or soft, etc? Mine is none existent.

5. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Great good work! I had a look today (while I was supposed to be working) and couldn't find anyone that could do 30mm thick.

The foam should be heat tolerant, open cell (so it mobile well around things).

Can you share the details of the supplier?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I vote 'soft' Thickness of 30mm should be o.k., but width of 30mm might be too narrow.

Best
    Martin

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Get 50x50mm, soft

8. jersey308gtb

jersey308gtb Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex Heynes

Great good work! I had a look today (while I was supposed to be working) and couldn't find anyone that could do 30mm thick.

The foam should be heat tolerant, open cell (so it mobile well around things).

Can you share the details of the supplier?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
  10. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Have you tried anyone in the Upholstery business? There are a number of Foam Suppliers there... Everyone uses different types of Foam for Seat Padding, comfort foam layers, and even in the Domestic Furniture sector. Hard to believe that 1 meter of foam costs 10 quid and the wrong thickness to boot...?

11. Crafter

Crafter Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alex Craft
    I've used this place before they do cut to size foam.

12. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Eric at GTO Engineering Los Angeles was selling the precut foam pieces at a LA Carmeet several years ago. Don't know if he's still there or not.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Those of you using the OEM open cell foam are replacing a problem: It can hold and retain water.

I keep Armaflex around all the time, a closed cell, skinned sheeting that comes in a variety of thicknesses and easily cut with a bread knife.
    The 308 radiator should have bottom, side, and the top seal against the hood, and there are even some oddly shaped "Corner Blocks" at each top corner.

Having all of that in place deos indeed route air firmly thru the radiator, increasing it's performance.

But I would not pay big money for any of those open cell pieces.
    Go to an HVAC Supply and find what I am using.

They insulated Chillers and other thermal equipment in it....

14. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm replacing the foam on either side of my radiator. I bought this at Lowe's:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

When others have mentioned foam they bought at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. is this what they're talking about? Will this stand up to the heat next to the radiator? As for the foam under the bonnet, I bought the really expensive stuff through Ferrari Parts UK (I know, stupid expensive but oh well...).

waymar likes this.
  15. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Used the Home Depot stuff. Works great and held up for 3 years now - I put 15k miles on the lady this year...... did make an improvement.

miketuason, jferazzi and thorn like this.
  16. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is the stuff you used the same as what I bought?

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm pretty certain that's exactly the foam I bought and used. It has worked great.

jferazzi likes this.
  18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I also have the Foam from Home Depot, it has been eight or nine years now and still holding strong.

waymar likes this.
  19. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Yes/ I glued two strips side by side worked and fit great. Also put thinner strips on side of radiator when I pulled it to recore it.

20. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    miketuason and jferazzi like this.
  21. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    FWIW, GT parts has correctly shaped and color foam strips. I prefer things to be as original looking as possible, but thats just me.

Doug

22. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  23. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The radiator seal doesn't have the correct shape, the original was trapezoid shape. Does it matter for function? Not all all, what you have will work fine.
    Doug

waymar likes this.
  24. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I picked up the cheap A/C insulation foam at Lowe’s and ordered the expensive stuff from Maranello Parts (mainly just the two pieces that are most visible under the bonnet). It arrived today and, yep, it’s just foam, lol! Not that I expected anything different... I think I was just more curious than anything. But at least it’s already cut to size. And the piece that will press up against the top of the radiator already has an adhesive on the one side. So I got that going for me...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan