Racism row threatens Spanish races | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Racism row threatens Spanish races

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Feb 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    on Autoweek this morning - if ten peope behaved unacceptably and only two were kicked out, why didn't they all go??? sounds like "he's not doing everything he can"

Barcelona boss downplays racism

Circuit de Catalunya boss Ramon Padreras believes that Formula One's racism row has been blown out of all proportion - and thinks his circuit did everything they could to resolve the situation when it first happened over the weekend.

With the FIA awaiting a report from the Spanish motorsport authorities about what they plan to do to prevent a repeat of the scenes of abuse aimed at Lewis Hamilton, Padreras has moved to play down the mounting controversy.

He has also made it clear that he will do everything he can to ensure there is no repeat of the events in the future.

In an interview with Spanish newspaper AS, he said: "Last Friday, ten people with a megaphone behaved in a unacceptable way against the British driver.

"Right away, we kicked two of them out, we cleared the stands right in front of McLaren's garage and we decided to take measures for Saturday, closing up the terrace right above them. The problem was solved then.

"In no way can the behaviour of ten fans represent the 55,000 who enjoyed the three days and knew how to behave.

"I think that in some cases the behaviour of some 10 or 15 people has been taken out of context, and we are in complete disagreement with that information.

"We are against any racist or xenophobic demonstration, even if it's from a few, and we are not going to allow a repeat of this in the future."

Despite Padreras' comments, the scenes of abuse still remain a big news story in the UK, with Sports Minister Gerry Minister saying he plans to write to the FIA to ask what action the governing body is going to take.

"I was shocked by those sickening images," said Sutcliffe. "How on Earth were fans dressed like this allowed into the circuit? Racism should not be tolerated and this isn't the first time British sportsmen have been racially abused in Spain.

"This brings into question whether the Grand Prix should be held at this track. I am going to write to the FIA to ask what action they are going to take in response to this. I am also going to write to the Spanish sports minister to express our ongoing concern about racism suffered by our sportsmen."

England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand was also widely quoted in the British newspapers on Tuesday, after being asked about the Hamilton affair in a press conference.

"I'm very disappointed," he said. "The T-shirts, the slogans on the shirts, the face painting. What's going to happen to the people involved? I'm intrigued to see the reaction from the governing bodies.

"There should be no room for that kind of stupidity and ignorance, not just in sport but in society. If there are punishments to be handed out I hope they're severe enough to deter people from going to stadiums or out in public going on like that."

Carol

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Agreed. Unfortunately a non-statement by Alonso will become interpreted all on its own as a nod of approval. While the reality is, he probably wants no association with this issue and hopes to remain uninvolved, he's firmly attached in name and should denounce the actions of these clowns immediately. The more time that passes, the less genuine any response of his will be received.

3. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    ..umm.. really? This is happening in Spain, not in one of the 3rd world countries you speak of. BTW, I was born and raised in the 3rd world and I am a big fan of F1.

I won't agree/disagree with your comment, since I have no first-hand experience living in Europe. However, I have many friends and relatives in Europe, who are living there happily as highly-educated hard-working professionals. I have heard a few accounts of racism, but for the most part, it's best to ignore that and move on and just succeed in life.

... apologize for what?

~shahedc

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I thought this was an interesting quote. I'm intrigued to know what happened to the other eight.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You don't have to apologize for making a comment made from your apparently unbiased view. You took a risk to point out your observations.
    Sometimes the truth hurts.
    Anyone who confuses this event with nationalism isn't looking hard enough or is just fooling themself.

6. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    +1
    this sort of thing "might" start out like that, but its gone waaaaaaay past it now.

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    how in god's name someone (or at least track officials) wouldn't ban those morons from that and all further GPs is insane. I've found spanish and south americans (which are basically the same thing) to be among the most racist against african americans. I have A LOT of spanish and south american friends and they even say the same thing.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    bahaha kinda sad but true.

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I thought they announced that Indy was the highest attendance race of the season.

(Except maybe '07, after the Michelin fiasco in '06.)

It just looked a bit empty, because the stadium has much higher capacity than most F1 races pull.

(Maybe that's what honked Bernie off -- that Indy can fill that stadium, but F1 can't.
    But then, the Indy 500 is even older than F1. In the past, Indy was counted towards F1 points.)

10. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
  11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

in that clip, look at 4:08 mins. it says something about just a few individuals thats spoiling the sport.

14. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
    even if it just a few, the fact that this type of behavior is tolerated makes the crowd as a whole look very bad!

15. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    This was on the Top Gear site:
    [email protected]

16. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    This is a complete out of proportion thread. See, I am Spaniard, and I have lived in the US, in Orange County CA and LA areas for quite a while. And it is funny that I never felt so much about racism as when I was living over there. I acn not talk of the whole US, but I can talk about Southern California area that I have experienced. People lives segregated in neighborhoods (not call some them gethos), asians, afro-americans, spanish, caucassin, all live in their own little worlds, they do not mix because of fears.

Where I live there is racial tensions from time to time, but not to the extent I saw that happening in the US. Hell, when I was there if I said I was Spanish I was treated completly different than if I said I was European or Spaniard.

And you guys are accussing others of racism. You should look closely to your ouw country before you throw such accusations. But don't restrict your search into the sports, look futher on how your society is built and how people actually deals with it.

You should have learned by now that the media interest is sensionatlism to generate more news and exploit them. There are idiots and racist all over the place in this world and the fact a bunch of idiots were caught on camera on an event does not turn a country into a racist one. Examples like this unfortunate ones are all over the media contiously, not only in Spain, but all over the place, and the US is no exception, I personally experienced some after a hockey event in Anaheim, but I guess this is bad press in the news, or too frequent, therefore no news, so it died there.

- Julio

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    But Spain is the one that got caught this time. Plus, with Spain cowering down to the Islamic-fascist like a bunch of panty waist girls a few years ago after the train bombing, they don't deserve an F1 race anyway...even the French have more courage...

18. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #68 wetpet, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Yes ask the French about racism, specially the people in Paris and the events past year. As I said there are cases of racism spread all over the world and you are judging a country based on a media blowout case.

Regarding where we deserve or no an F1 event, I have no comment. However we fill the events with people, so I guess, F1 goes where there is bussiness. When you can fill an F1 venue like the bussines demands then you might get more of it.

- Julio.

BTW Parkerfe, I am not a bull and I am not going to charge against the red cloth. ;)

20. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    ... now, now, let's not blame a country for the actions of a few.. !

... oh, wait a sec, so you do understand that you can't blame a country for the actions of a few...

As I said earlier... ignore them if there's nothing else to be done... then move on. That still makes you the better person. :)

~shahedc

21. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Julio, what is more important is how a society responds to such racial insults. In my country, when someone makes a racist remark on television or radio they are immediately suspended or fired. There is no "next time". No second chance. Just like the Golf Channel reporter who was immediately suspended for 2 weeks after making a remark about Tiger Woods.

In Spain's case, the track has stated they will not allow this to happen again. If they are true to their word then there will be no further problems. A few stupid fans won't ruin it for your entire country. But if nothing is done to stop this unacceptable behavior then don't cry about your race being cancelled when it happens.

And on a related note, where is Alonso? It would be nice if he made a public statement denouncing these retards. The longer he stays silent the more it appears he has no problem with what is happening.

22. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    That might happen with TV or radio, but it certainly does not happen everywhere else, not in the day to day life. I won't say the same happens here on TV, becuse I don't remember a similar case. But i get your point, that this kind of atitude set an example. The thing is that that happens in the US, becuse you have learn over the years how to del with it. In europe (with the exception of UK maybe), compared to the US these kind o shame behaiviour is quite recent. And authorities and event organizers are still learning how to deal with them, and set examples.

And I agree, the organization and authorities have to take this as an example and put in place the measures so this does not repeat. Although I honestly don't think any organization of such large event as F1 can be fully controlled. Past years Montmelo F1 GP had an atendance on excess of 150.000. However the organization must put meassures in place, so if something similar happens, it is inmediatelly stopped, and the people involved is taken to the authorities.

On the Alonso comment, I also agree with you, I think he has to get his head out and say publicly where does he stand on this issue, and I hope is on clearly rejecting these racist attitudes. And the longer he waits the worst for his image, not that I have a very good impression of him as an individual anyway. My only respect for him on his driver talent.

But, it is very sad to read how people is setting up statments on how a nation is, based on such short knowledge of the reality of it. That only shows that they know nothing about the reality of country. I do not consider the US or any other country I know racist, but I have found racist people in most countries in Europe and America where I have been in long enough.

- Julio

BTW: This is my last comment on the issue in this media, as I don't find written forums the right place to discuss these matters, and this has nothing to do with cars anyway.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's OK to be race-ist. It's not OK to be racist. ;)

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Alonso defends Spain amidst racism row
    Thursday 21st February 2008

Fernando Alonso has defended Spain's Formula One fans, saying the recent abuse of Lewis Hamilton was an "isolated thing."

Hamilton was subjected to racial abuse from a few spectators during a pre-season test at Barcelona earlier this month.

The incident led to widespread condemnation as well as the FIA threatening to axe both Spanish GPs.

However, Alonso, who hails from Oviedo, Spain, has defended his compatriots, saying it was an isolated incident and that Spain's F1 fans shouldn't be branded racist based on it.

"This is not a racist country," Alonso told AP. "This was an isolated thing.

"The less we talk about what happened 15 days ago the better, because that's a completely isolated case from someone who was celebrating carnival. I haven't seen any video or recording of the alleged insults."

He added: "Last year they called me a dog in a few races. Niki Lauda said those things about me and no one came to me to show me their support."

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    so what? it's only Niki Lauda.