Racism row threatens Spanish races | FerrariChat

Racism row threatens Spanish races

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Feb 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Just read this on Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64973

Here's part of the story -

Spain's motorsport chiefs have been asked to submit a full report to the FIA on what action they plan to take to prevent a repeat of the racism that marred last weekend's Barcelona Formula One test, with the future of the country's two Grands Prix now hanging in the balance.

The FIA has reacted in the strictest possible way to the events of the test, where fans hurled racial abuse at Lewis Hamilton.

It has demanded a full explanation from Spain's national motorsport association about what happened - and especially what will be done to prevent it occurring again.

The Real Federacion Espanola de Automovilismo (RFEA) must now prepare its response to show that it too is taking the matter seriously.

Although it is not thought that the RFEA has been told what action will be taken if its answers are not satisfactory, it is understood that the situation is being treated gravely by the FIA.

Sources close to the FIA have told autosport.com that this year's Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona and the European Grand Prix at Valencia are now under threat because of what has happened, so keen are the FIA to ensure that racism is not tolerated in motorsport.

As I said in a prior thread, to pull the plug on the races would be the thing to do. I really don't see how the Spanish Motorsport Association can prevent it from occurring again . . .the demonstrators don't have to be F1 followers/fans - they can be just a bunch of folks that want to cause trouble. I don't think I'd be taking the train to the race from Sants to Montmelo and walking to the track to the race wearing McLaren/Lewis team gear . . . that type of situation would really suck if it actually came to fruition. The FIA had best get a good grip on this situation.

Carol

2. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I really think the FIA are going to have to stamp hard on this. If there are any similar incidents they should pull the race. Look at the picture on http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33858 I cannot believe that they managed to get away with that. I don't understand why nobody challenged them or at least moved away so they were isolated and perhaps they'd then realise that their actions were not condoned by the rest of the crowd. The Spanish authorities must know that pictures like this will not help ticket sales at all.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    IMO, they should either ban the spanish races this season, or bar all fans for entering the track. will be a good punishment.

4. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Absolutely disgusting.

They should pull the races - right now. There is no need to wait and see what they do to try and prevent it in the future - the fact is they should have stopped it as it was happening.

The fact that they didn't shows they approve.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Next thing you know English fans will be fighting in the stands in Barcelona like its a football match. This is not good.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I thought this whole sport was built on divisiveness. Don't we always hear about "the Indian driver" or the "Spanish driver" or ....

So they don't like the "English" driver and they're vocal about it. That's what F1 has been promoting for decades, why is it a problem now that the "English" driver is black? I guarantee that those fans would attack anyone who had acted as Hamilton/Dennis had over the past year.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    no disrespect to fellow Spanish Fchatters here, but generally, spanish people are racists.

8. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte

It's not a problem that they don't like him. Did you look at those pictures? Did you read what the people are yelling?

Not "I hate Hamilton".

They are saying "fcking black" and "black sh*t". I think there is a difference here.

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My first instinct is to say 'f-em... pull the plug on the races' but that would be punishing hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of a very few.

Why not just hire a lot of security, and if anyone puts up a racist sign, throws something, does some racially charged chant or anything else like that, they get *very* forcibly removed from the track. Zero tolerance.

It would be a real d*ckk move for them to cancel the whole event just because of a few a-holes. Weren't we complaining about just that for the Dakar a few weeks back?

10. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Exactly. Schumacher used to be booed at Silverstone by some people when he was racing against Hill. I see no problem with that. I have shouted at Hakkinen and I was amongst the loudest to cheer when he crashed at the the 1st chicane at Monza in '99 and ended up crying in the bushes. It's all part of the game and part of sport. Rascism should not be tolerated though.

I like the idea of running the race with no spectators. That's a measure that was used in the UK back in the days when there were problems with football violence and it has been used more recently in other countries that still have a problem.

11. Anthony_Ferrari

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
  12. 4re4lem

4re4lem Karting

Nov 3, 2003

Alonso, no matter what he says can not possibly cover the institution of racism that is so pervasive to the orangutan mentality of these few morons. The squeaky wheel got the grease and this may cause two of the more prolific F1 events to suffer an ignominious demise. I think that sanctions against this type of behavior should be severe enough, to send the most surreal message to everyone everywhere. This type of conduct toward any driver, or team member, can not be tolerated.

F1 fans are supposed to be the most sophisticated sporting audience on the planet. This bigotry has an effect on us all....

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Alonso needs to say something quickly to appeal to those retards if he has any sense.

The ironic thing is LH has a said he likes testing in Spain and likes Spanish people. I hope the few don't change his mind.

Catalunya circuit guess what I'am giving it a miss, Spa-Francorchamps from now.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well, as they will find out you can't legislate against stupidity. But you can certainly ram it in the teeth with a good set of boots or a baton. Make it perfectly clear to the fans planning to attend that there will be a zero-tolerance policy in effect with severe repercussions for anyone hoping to show up and get themselves on television. The last thing most fans want is to have their race weekend disrupted by hooligans.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Brian, I think you have just described much of the world's population. Even your comment was racist. We all want to believe we are open minded, but consider how a westerner gets today when they see someone that is obviously Muslim. It's automatic that they must be a terrorist. I see the reaction of numerous whites when they see a mixed couple, even on the genderless streets of South Beach. There is a definite negative feeling against those of the Jewish persuation by much of the Latin community. Late at night, walking alone, a white comes up to a black. The initial reaction of most whites is to assume that the black is going to pull out a gun or a knife and rob him.

Racism is based on fear. I consider it to be similar to homophobia. You are homophobic because of your own fears about being gay, I think the same applies to racisim. You have your own self doubts so someone has to be worse than you, lower on the food chain.

I do not think what we read about in Barcelona is the vocal majority. I would not punish all the fans because of the action of a few. And Alonso needs to say something soon.

I was brought up in a separatist environment, all white until I was 18. Then in college one of my best friends was black, two were Iranian, one was as gay as they come. All I knew was we all loved to listen to "Black Magic Woman" by Santana.

I still absolutely hate rap and bebop and all of the performers. I guess that makes me racist? But I facinate about Halle Berry, dear God I wish it was me that got her pregnant. I guess that makes me a confused racist.

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 kraftwerk, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL just for you Ron I agree although I'am not confused..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #17 JOEV, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These idiots and their friends/family should be truly ashamed. This crap is happening in 2008?

I know that there are soccer "fans" who still throw bananas and make monkey noises but I thought F1 would attract a better class of people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Posting that photo was so very cruel of you. Now the rest of the day will be in a cloud and my pants won't fit properly.

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I have been trying to make this point for years to those that criticize NASCAR fans. F1 has their element of white trash, trailer trash if you will, as much as any other form of racing, sport for that matter.

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL......whoops......................:D

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    F1 will see pulling the races as a last resort. However, if they have bad experience at the two Spanish races this year, they will probably be pulled. Hope it does not come to this as it would not be good PR for the sport.

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Since when have "the Spanish" been a race?

And "racism" is the inherent belief that one race is superior to another based purely on race. We are confusing racist and prejudiced quite a lot these days, to the point that if someone says "hey whats the guys name on that TV show - you know the black guy?" that's suddenly a "racist" comment when it obviously is not.

We are waaaay to PC these days. A lot of people in Europe are pretty prejudiced and many of them are racist too. Spanish people are no exception and have quite a rep for being a pretty racist populace.

But to point that out is in no way a "racist" comment.

23. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is in my local paper, so it's getting press beyond Internet car sites.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Mike, when you are fillilng out a form, even for government business, there is usually something to distinguish between White/Caucasion, and Spanish/Latino. My only explantion is that in many Spanish speaking countries, some of the population is of mixed heritage, not always caucasion. You are correct pointing out a difference between being racist and being prejudiced, because prejudice theorhetically does not take race into account, but the two have many overlapping similarities.

You have to be prejudiced to be racist, and I would think that if you are racist you are prejudiced.

Question, Pele was loved in South America, how was he viewed in Europe, specifically Spain?

25. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    That's totally unacceptable. Pathetic.