Racing Simulators | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Racing Simulators

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by early93viper, Dec 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Any idea for a cheaper seat to use for a cockpit? I'm planning on building a setup in the next few weeks and want to try and keep it on the cheaper side.

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Good cheap seats are available from Summit Racing, Speedway and a number of the circle track and track track suppliers. You don't need an FIA rated seat to do this stuff (hehe) and what you can do is make runners that hold the seat, the pad for the pedal box and then above that, the steering wheel mount out of wood or metal stock (steel or aluminum). Use a TV or monitor away from you (or projection or flatscreen) at an angle that won't give you neck spasms.

The Targa mod will be cool. I agree, I was always disappointed in the mods with the newer cars, because I had a tremendous amout of experience driving Alfa GTA's, Cortinas. 26R's and bigger stuff like FIA Fairlanes and Holman's GT40 and nothing ever felt the right "slippy/slidey" in the sims I used, duplicating the real feel of old cars on treaded tires. The kind where you can carry 18-25 degrees of slip angle and not slow down! <very big grin>

Until GT Legends came along... Fantastic!

Yes, some people think you can waste away your life here <grin>, but sims can be worse and racing, well... racing... we won't go there...

Richard, you're a gem! Thanks!

-Peter

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  4. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    I usually check here every now and again with a search for TARGA

http://forum.rscnet.org/search.php?searchid=805916

Summer 2007 will be 2 years development! but worth the wait however long it takes.

The GPL/Papy 15 mile limit had to be hacked in GPL to allow tracks longer than the Nord, so same will have to be done to Nascar to allow it I imagine.

My fav GPL non-standard tracks are Solitude, Clerment Ferrand, Crystal Palace (excellent to learn on with a 45 second lap) and Bremgarten is just scary :) - not got 65 and 69 mods to work yet, need to spend time on those...

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The easiest is to just get a regular racing seat from Summit and bolt it to a big 8x6 board. That's how I started. But don't paint yourself into a corner as eventually you like to be able to adjust the seat for comfort or different drivers. So brackets might be the next thing.

6. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Dont you just love it when your mates take the p**s :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrSkQLbtxM

It's me that locks up, excuse - only did 8 laps before race to learn circuit and missed braking point at end of lap 1, "cadence braking" i hear myself thinking :D and all after I made up 6 places off the grid!

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good thing is virtual only. I see about 3 dead people.

8. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Does that mean I am Virtually Dead then?

9. Colorado S14

Colorado S14 Rookie

May 2, 2006
    For those who have asked about cheaper seats, or perhaps taking some cost off of this here is my updated list with what I feel is more accurate to market pricing.

$2500--Dell XPS 700, no monitor.
    $300---Logitech G25 steering wheel and pedals
    $200---5.1 surround sound. (Logitech, Creative)
    $1000--42" plasma display or LCD projector and screen
    $2000--SimConMOTION
    $250---Sparco Sprint
    $200---Software

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    LOL!!! Its always funny to see people following the initial car off the track, I mean you were off the racing line, they only had to go around u haha.

11. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    You have just perfectly highlighted a fact that never ceases to amaze me, (not having a go at you) but most of the people I know who "play with sims" complain about the cost of software. When everyone wanted Papyrus to correct the GPL tyre model issue I suggested will all pay them $200 each as then it would be commercially viable for them to do it, and considering how much money we all spent on hardware it wasnt really an issue. They came back with "I'm not spending more than $60 on a game" etc...

Which bit of the list is the most important! ;) ratio is 31:1 hardware,software.

12. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C

Hey, you're in the same location as me - hello :D

13. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I ended up with the 35 dollar summit racing seat, hopefully I don't get in a crash with it lol. I built a frame for my wheel and pedals and bolted the seat on. It took about a day of driving and then readjusting everything until it was all comfortable, and I'm not nice enough to make it adjustable for everyone else lol. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, altho I didn't build a cockpit around it it's still alot better than sitting at the desk with the wheel. (I have the materials but I dunno if I want to go all out with a shell around it :))

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Amen to that.

Ever since a company in Texas came out with a really nice Space Shuttle sim for about 100k I'm happy if I get software for merely a couple hundred of bucks. BTW: They ended up selling that system to museums. Or not. Have only seen it in a couple real installations. Priced right outside of the market.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and no. As much as the impact and the following impacts would have killed you, I doubt in real life anybody would be so stupid as to put that wall right there and make it out of concrete. It would be a safer or tire barrier giving way or not even be there. I remember similar chicanes in the old Hockenheim and they were made out of styrofoam.

16. Colorado S14

Colorado S14 Rookie

May 2, 2006

Not sure what you are saying about my list, when I talk of software I am talking just the racing games I play. I bought GTR2 for $39 which includes GT Legends now in the same price, add R Factor for another $39, then maybe some of the F1 games and I cannot think of how to push it over the $200 mark on commercially available games. Now if you decide you want some of the classics that are not produced anymore you can go over $200 easy getting those on eBay.

17. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    I just meant that I know loads of people who dont appreciate that creating a computer silmulation costs a lot of money to develop and hence they need to sell a lot of copies at $50 a shot to make it economical. The problem is that the more realistic a sim is the less people are interested in it - so its a vicious circle. If people were willing to spend as much for the software as they are willing to spend on hardware then the sims would be higher quality. I have a friend who thinks paying more for software is outrageous but he spends hours each day "practising" using sims and one real race he did last year cost $200,000!

Your list simply highlighted my thoughts.

18. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Now I'm confused, suppose I had better be more careful in the future - might have to create a virtual will just incase I guess.