Racing an E55 AMG in the mile | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Racing an E55 AMG in the mile

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    wh have 6 inches of snow on the ground from last night, forecast doesn't look any better for this week, then after we have a good rain and the salt gets washed off the roads you will get your video. Stop being impatient, its our well beings that come before your entertainment.

2. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    That being a little selfish don't you think? :)

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    One month and 13 pages later........It f*&%n snows?

Killing me here guys....killing me..,

Craig

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    #254 C. Losito, Mar 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    What kind of modifications to a C class would render an >12 QM?

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And it can wipe the rain and mud off its headlights. Amazing!!! :D

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    wow a merceedes doing the 1/4 @ 120 mph! want a video of a c5 vette trapping in the high 140's?? I'm not seeing the point. I like merceedes amg's but when you get into the world of "real fast" they aren't there

8. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    5.5 engine, Kleemann supercharged.
    Custom boost kit, twin turbo throttle body, custom exhaust, custom cold air box and filter, porting, custom chip work, closed diff.

Here's a link with some more pics:
    http://www.mbautowerks.com/1103drag/1103drag.htm

Look at the vette guy get defensive real fast. Got something to worry about? ;)

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti

No, thats the funny thing, everyone is asking about the outcome of the race...I'll tell you right now you dont need the video to know it will be ugly! I will win, by a lot. But my car is modified so thats gonna be everyone's excuse when they see me beat the amg by 30 car lengths. Stock for stock I may have lost, but there is no comparison between the two cars now, especially in a mile acceleration run!

10. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I know you're gonna win, Rob. So does everyone else.

I think the car I posted is quite an accomplishment for the builder(s). Plus I wanted to, you know, stir the pot a little. :D

11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
  12. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    That was a C43 for 4.3l V8 that's NA. What you're racing is an E55 5.5l V8 SC. The vids I posted above is a stock E55 vs 457@THW Cobra... Good Luck and hope he doesn't have any mods.

13. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Those vids were all the rage not long ago on all the 'Stang boards. I mean that in a bad way. :D

Seriously, those new supercharged (390 hp) Cobras are nothing to sneeze at, and the E55 doesn't even look like it's breaking a sweat.

*edit* My mistake, I forgot the Cobra in the video was modded. Makes the kill that much sweeter!

14. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    heh, the mustang got it handed to 'em in those vids. but it's not modded C5. from what i read so far, it's going to be an interesting match up. but i'll save the predictions and wait for the race.

15. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Rob
    What's the status of the much vaunted race?
    I'm looking forward to the results, given your best 1/4 mile of just under 11.6 using 3.73 gears, 4K high stall converter etc, it's not going to be the walk in the park you suggest, even against a stock E55, not over a 1 mile race, unless the Benz still has the speed limiter.

16. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Was over at www.beyondthequartermile.com today and spotted this thread from a cool vette owner Billy. Thought I'd post it on this thread I spotted today here as well.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:46 pm Post subject: Raced a 2004 AMG E55 - 469hp!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was driving down I95 through Fairfield Saturday night and came behind a brand new AMG E55. It was black and looked brand new. Very sweet car. For those that don't know, this is the E series Mercedes with a supercharger and 469hp. Well, I pulled next to him and blipped the throttle... he took the bait and floored it. We had to work through some traffic, then traffic cleared and we had all three lanes clear as far as we could see. I'm in the left lane, he pulls into the middle lane and slows down. Since I'm not racing anymore, I've taken the Cartek banner off my rear window, so he probably assumes he's about to race a stock Z06 or C5. He's probably beaten several stock Vettes and is ready to make another kill. He slows to about 50mph and has a very confident look on his face. I do the three honks... beep... beep... beep... I let him get the jump, then roll into the throttle in 2nd gear, by the time I bang 3rd I'm even with him and reeling him in HARD, by the time I hit 4th I'm probably 2 car lengths ahead... I let off the gas at about 120mph, and am at least 3 car lenghts ahead.

After the race the guy wouldn't even look at me! He seemed pretty pissed about the whole thing, lol. Guess his $90,000 4-door Corvette killer isn't as fast as he thinks.
    10.99 @ 125mph in the 1/4
    185mph and more to come beyond the 1/4

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

All well and good for the Vette driver...but least he forget he was racing a STOCK big 4 door SEDAN that weighs more then most cars in it's class and it still gave him a run for his money. Ha if I was the guy in the Vette I still would be embarassed.

18. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My point exactly, by his own account a heavily worked 10 sec 1/4 mile 'Vette beat a stock E55 in a roll on to 120mph by three car lengths.

19. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Damn! If you would swap the BMW for an SL55 you would have been pretty much been dead on accurate for my idea of the perfect garage! Do you race the Duck or have another bike as well? Very cool collection there!

-ag

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Guys..I was drawn into the thread hear out of curiosity...read 14 pages..of nothing..

I happen to see a thread about a race with a 1999 Corvette with a 5 to 6 grand older Cartek heads and cam package.. run up against a MB AMG E55and you guys are saying that..? Would you rather just bench race? Don't get me wrong..

The AMG E55 is my personal favorite for sports sedans..The cars got it all.

They ran the car from a roll. Billy in the Vette gave the guy the jump and he smoked him. End of story..

As an owner of a Vette? Did I get a laugh out of Billy's account? Honestly yes..but that doesn't take away from the fact the E55 is one killer machine..

And the MB SL65 is even more insane..

MB is on its game right now..

Have a good one and I hope you can appreciate the final answer to what this looooong thread was about.

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have a race bike and a road bike.
    http://www.ipn.com.au/mbworld/ipnduc3.jpg

22. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Not really.
    Rob who has a mid-late 11 sec 'Vette has implied his car will smoke a W211 E55 in a mile race.
    Given that he is using 3.73 gears and a 4K stall converter to get these numbers and a std 2.65 rear end 1500rpm stall 4000lb E55 runs a mid 12, I don't see him winning the race.
    There's been lots of talk, but no action so far.
    For some further facts here is a cut and paste from the german AMG site:

Local mag arranged a great test of 0~1000m, the weather is around 21 C, not hot

480 rwhp(580 ps) E55AMG rocks ! Following is the 1000m (V_final) of a few famous models
    the one dyno 370 rwhp, fixed his water pump & put MKB stage-1 kits on, is now a happy 550 ps owner.

(1) E55AMG / 580 ps ..........245 Km/hr
    (2) E55AMG / 550 ps ......... 241 Km/hr (MKB stage-1)
    (3) Brabus CL600 T12 .......237 Km/hr 570 ps claims by Brabus,brand new car
    (4) 996TT / 420 ps ............233 Km/hr
    (5) 996GT3/ 360 ps............229 Km/hr
    (6) RS4 / 420 ps ................228 Km/hr
    (7) C32AMG /420 ps ...........224 Km/hr Boost-up 1.5 bar
    ( Carlsson CM32K/400 ps....221 Km/hr
    (9) F360/F1 .......................215 Km/hr
    (10) E46M3 / 420 ps .............212 Km/hr Hi-cam, Intake, ecu, full exhaust....

The 550ps MKB stage 1 is marketed in the US as a Renntech kit.

This is over 1000m, Rob wants to run one over 1600metres (1 mile) and smugly believes the E55 doesn't have a chance.
    The way Rob was posting I assumed he had a 10 sec car, then I saw that his best time was an 11.55 with at least 0.5 secs of that having to come from his hi-stall converter and rear end.
    I'm not saying he can't win, I'd be really interested to see the results of Rob running a derestricted E55, because it certainly wouldn't be the walk in the park he makes it out to be, particulalry if done from a rolling start, thus denying him his greatest advantage. I wish I had the opportunity to race him myself.

23. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You say in this thread that you have a Gallardo that you wish to get rid of. With all the talk on this site about how wonderful they are, may I ask why?

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    On the advice of a friend, I bought the 550. I can't drive the Gallardo into my driveway at home or work without major scraping, the steering has none of the feel of the Ferrari, nor does the chassis for that matter. It may be faster around a track, but it does not have the nuance of the 550. That may sound corny, but that's how it is. We currently have a regular house with a single garage. My son is getting his licence this year, so between the race bikes, go karts, Vito van, station wagon, Beemer convertible, E55, 550 and Gallardo something has to go. I'm actually getting rid of the station wagon too, but that will be replaced with a new car for Jeremy.
    I've promised she who must be obeyed a new house by June, what she doesn't know is I'm actually just looking for a huge garage with attached living quarters.

25. BlackOnBlack346

Dec 28, 2003
    Stephens :

The guy just posted a slip of his E55 at the TRACK running 12.4s. How then could it run 12.4s on the street?

My 300hp 3900+ lb Camaro Z28 Auto ran a 13.2 @ 106
    Add over sixty hp at the wheels
    Subtract about EIGHT HUNDRED pounds
    Improve the aerodynamics
    Widen the tires
    Add a M12 6 speed tranny

The Z06 will easily, easily run low 12s. 12.8 is what I would run with Nittos and and headers.

"""""I just pulled out the car and Driver Super Tuner Challenge for both 2001 and 2002. On both counts, my chipped and pulleyed E55 beats every car there including the Hennesy Twin Turbo and Apex Vipers, Lingenfelter twin turbo, Mallet and Z06 Corvettes. The more I research this subject, the more I realise you guys simply don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    Unlike you guys I am not bench racing, I own the car, have had it on the drag strip and have made 500+HP LS1's and LS6's eat humble """"

Your chipped and pulleyed E55 "beats" every car there? In what? Going slower? You realize that the supertuner challange is not only a 1/4 mile race, but a roadcourse, braking, etc contest, where your E55 would be raped. If those cars wanted to be set up for the 1/4 mile, they could easily be and would humiliate you.

I seriously want to see you "beat" a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Corvette. Maybe a purple elephant will fly across the sky and I'll learn Mandarin Chinese that day also.

You said you've made 500+ hp LS1's and LS6's "eat humble" on the strip.

556 hp - 10.56 @ 129.88 http://www.cartek.net/peteyellowc5.html
    474 hp - 10.80 @ 127.44 http://www.cartek.net/ramos99m6c5.html
    463 hp - 10.59 @ 129 (10.72 @ 130 on radials) http://www.cartek.net/brentx.html
    407 hp - 10.98 @ 122.01 http://www.cartek.net/dd99ta.html

This is what you are dealing with.
    http://ws6transam01.hypermart.net/[email protected]

I dont see your E55 running sub 11s, sorry. If you beat a 500+hp Ls1, you beat the driver.