R6 preview: 180mph at Daytona | FerrariChat

R6 preview: 180mph at Daytona

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by johnhoughtaling, Oct 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    If you've yet to register for Daytona, do so ASAP. It will be a blast

Check out this video Joe Rubbo found,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmNxxOnXfEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

The year I won at Daytona, (one of my last wins I'm afraid) I had excellent coaching by Guy Cosmo. This is Guy on a lap. The telemetry showed that Jerome, Guy and I were doing 178-180mph going into turn 1.

Here is Guy on a lap at 180mph

2. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

3. AC9

AC9 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    NYC
    NICE!
    B-)

4. AC9

AC9 Rookie

Apr 12, 2011
    NYC
    You think he flat-spotted his tires? ;)
    Fortunately no walls came into play :)

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Try it on a bike. The last year I ran there, we were going about 170 - 175 through the traps before turn one. You'd try to hold the breaking until the 2 marker, but sometimes you'd pop up and brake at the 3 marker. The wide world of sports shot (thrill of victory agony of defeat) with the bike going down is Daytona at the 200 in I believe 73 74, or 75 someone missed their breaking point going into turn one, and got off as the video shows. The lap times in 89 on the bikes were similar to the 1:53 that some of the cars are now doing.

Art

6. Paul430c

Paul430c Karting

May 26, 2004
    Virginia
    With regard to that spin at Daytona

HOLY CRAP!

The adult diapers I ordered better get here before I leave for FCRA at Daytona!

7. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I believe I remember seeing it. It was before one of our preliminary races when the FCRA was under development. I think his tire blew (Pirelli)

I caught a glimpse of it. You are going so crazy fast here in the banking. Total distruction if you hit the wall here.

Bringing my big boy pants to Daytona. :)

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    where is Guy?

9. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #10 johnhoughtaling, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    He has been very busy racing the Patron 458GT and many of our race dates in '11 conflicted. But he has been helping behind the scenes with the FCRA. He was very instrumental in helping me get things off the ground. He helped arrange things with HSR and Daytona and will see him there. Guy is one of the best coaches I've ever had.

10. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I had a lengthy converstaion with the Goodyear engineers when I worked on the 348LM team Shelton had at Daytona in 1993. In order to bring tires up to their optimum operating temperature some people lower tire pressures.
    The enginners told me that you can not get away with this at Daytona due to the excessive loading while on the banking. It is not uncommon to blow out a side wall due to overheating of that section of the tire. I always ran what the engineers recommended.

11. JFatigati

JFatigati Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    John Fatigati
    It definitely sounds like a tire came apart. This is before they repaved though, so I wonder if it will be any easier on the tires?

12. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Not sure if the paving played a part or not. When we ran the 333SPs the cars wanted to climb the banking and were "squirelly" at speed so 11 or 12 degrees of caster was the cure, so much so power steering was added to the cars to reduce driver fatigue.
    Goodyear called for 22 psi front and 24 rear. By dropping pressures to 17 or 18 the cars felt more stable (similar to adding caster) but put stress (read heat) on sidewalls.
    By comparison Ferrari calls for 6 degrees caster on a 360 Challenge Car. Just my 2 cents.

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Were the 333's understeering on the flat corners before you put in the 11 deg of caster? I had the same experience with the Audi TT/Quattro which had P/S. We resolved it by taking off the front sway bar.

14. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    The car would do what the Drivres called "hunt". It would not track in a straight line and on the banking caused a lot of effort to keep the car from drifting to the upper part of the bank. Caster increases the King Pin angle and keeps the wheels straight (so does low tire pressure) but with a small diameter steering wheel makes slow speed turns require enormous arm strength.

15. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    A link on the Challenge car thread led me to Hoosier's technical specs page for their Challenge tires and interestingly they also recommend an increase of 2 psi front and rear for banked ovals! They also recommend a decrease in negative camber!