R.I.P: Marco Simoncelli (Moto GP) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

R.I.P: Marco Simoncelli (Moto GP)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4rePhill, Oct 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I apologise for that most profoundly!, and I apologise to anyone who is upset by the footage in the link I supplied.

I questioned Myself as to whether I should post it or not and in the end decided that I would as it explains a bit more about what happened and might help some come to terms with the whole horrific incident.

I have only watched it a couple of times and I doubt I'll watch it ever again as it is more devastating to Me than when I watched the live coverage of the race.

All I can say is that I am quite amazed at how this has upset Me, considering that I did not know Marco at all: it's almost as if I have lost a friend!.

MotoGP will never be the same again for Me I suspect. :(

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very very sad. :(:(

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack

Look at it from this point. This thread obviously is a sensitive topic. Many has expressed true emotions from this incident. I'm just curious where the notion since another wears AGV that they need to be released from their contract. The statement could have been warranted if the helmets defect was the cause of the death.

And another memener posted, "yeah he needs to be released from AGV if it was the helmet." Well unfortunately it is too late for Simo.

Don't know why but I am truely upset to know of his passing. I am a huge motorcycle racing fan and to see the accident so vividly will haunt me forever. Will not speak for Rossi and Collins but I know I would personally consider very much to retire. I have personally never had a bad spill on the track, just on the street and I was considering another street bike but it will be awhile if I do.

Sorry for using the word "stupid." Just was feeling emotional.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    bought a copy of BIKE (UK) today, there's a eerily prescient article on Simoncelli in the October 2011 issue.

would post a link but I can't find one online.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

He apparently wore a helmet a size larger then he needed to accommodate his hair. That poor fit would most likely allow it to pop off easier. Judging by his technique it sounds like he tried to right the low side and as someone said earlier it caused the tires to catch and him veer in front of the other riders. Sounds like his wild riding style caught up to him? RIP.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No apology necessary, I watched prior to your post and watched again after. Part of me wants to grasp how it happened, and I try to remove the emotion - it's just hard knowing that he's here one moment, and then tragically gone the next.

7. Godfather

Godfather Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Fiorano
  8. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    I appreciate that...trust me, I'm a little emotional about this as well. As a former track hound I hung out with Spies, Colin, & Schwantz many times at Texas World Speedway and this whole episode has me twisted up. I saw Marco as a future superstar not only because of his talent, but also because of his glowing excitement he brought back to the sport that has been away for a while. I could have probably worded my expression a little differently, and not so quickly, but we're all human. I guess what I was thinking more about Rossi's commitment to AGV was the stigma that will follow him emotionally. He will probably always second guess the reliability of the product if it turns out that the helmet was in fact defective. This was a freak accident and so many lives has been affected because of it. I'm hoping that the league gives a proper tribute of his life at the next race in Valencia.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2011/gresini+team+to+attend+valencia+gp

9. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    2nd that.....

It has been 3 days and still I feel bad for all motorsport fans.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm extremely saddened by his death. I became a fan of him last year, probably because of his personality, always a big grin on his face.

Ciao super Sic...

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Paolo Simoncelli pays his respects to a 'special, honest and pure' son

(From: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668 ):

Paolo arrived at the scene of the crash as Marco was being lifted onto a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. He says he had called to his son, but Marco was already dead. He says he also bears no ill will to the bearers, who fumbled the stretcher on their way to the ambulance.

"I was thereabouts, but Marco was dead already. I was 10 metres away, but Marco was already dead, it changed nothing.

"I helped them: when they got back up and passed the stretcher over to my side of the guard rail I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.

"There was nothing that could be done. Nothing would have changed in that case. As for the rest, maybe more (attention) is needed, but these people try to do their best, so it's useless... But in our case Marco died on impact".

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..a beautifully sad farewell.

I'm glad he issued that statement.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Was at Sepang on the weekend and could not believe my eyes. My wife and I have had the pleasure of dinner with Marco at Gresini's hospitality suite at Aragon last year and again this year at Sachsenring. Utterly fantastic guy, we cannot believe what has happened. MotoGP is a small family and this is such a loss.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Wow...his dad was at the scene? and helped to lift the stretcher? That's so painful...

15. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #90 Ney, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    Yes. If you watch the video in post 82, the individual that rides up to the scene on the scooter and drops it and helps with the stretcher is his father. I cannot think of much that would be worse than that experience.

Much has been written about whether it is appropriate to post video or still photos of the incident and no doubt there are those that do not want to see them. I find the photos of the mother, father and girlfriend in their grief harder to accept. They are not public figures, but individuals there to support a public figure and the photos do not provide additional information to the circumstance. Did we not know that they were upset? It feels to me that those photos are somehow more voyeuristic than photos of the crash itself.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have not seen those, and did not go looking for them.

While I agree with what you post, IMO the family and lovers "know what they risk" when one takes this up as a vocation (or even in my case, as a "hobby")..

You flip a coin, look at it, and put it back into your pocket.

His Dad stated that the prerace exchange between them was as all the others, of the past....

17. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    #92 burner42, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    I roadraced for a few years... Marco started to lowside, he lost his front wheel, as the bike was sliding out and falling to the inside Marco was hanging off the inside of the bike, waiting for the bike to completely lose grip and slide out at which time he would seperate from the bike, unfortunately the front tire gained grip and somewhat stood up and turned to the inside line of the track while Marco was still somewhat on the bike. He could not get off at that point and was simply a passenger.

This happens quite often, it happened to Jamie Hacking in AMA a few years ago (cant remember race), Jamie had actually crashed and was 80% off the bike and the bike was on its side, the bike slid gained traction, popped up again while Jamie was still somewhat on the bike and he saved it! It was incredible, luckily during the save the ame thing that happened to Marco did not happen to Jamie, as he was all over the track!

The quotes from his father are gutwrenching... he said he took Marcos hand as he was being loaded into the ambulance and said Ciao Marco... heartbreaking, makes me cry.

RIP # 58

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Because if you get the bike back upright during the slide then it's not an accident, it's a great save and you're still in the race.

You have to remember that these are guys who race with broken collar bones; broken legs; broken fingers; broken pelvis'; etc., etc. They will do anything they can to stay racing, it's in their blood.

Here's a clip of Colin Edwards doing exactly what I believe Marco was attempting to do:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ac4Ak8EfxA&feature=related[/ame]

I honestly believe Marco was deliberately trying to get the bike upright again (in the style of Edwards above), and Marco's Father seems to think the same way based on this quote:

"On top of that he was a warrior, and maybe that's why he died. Had he let the bike go...but last Sunday he wanted to win. He was again the Marco we had at the beginning of the season, but now he knew what to do, he knew everything."

19. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #94 pingi3, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    cool pics. remember the good times, I guess....

always amusing to see the MotoGP and F1 guys going through America as normal tourists, as nobody knows who the are...

21. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    The article is in superbikeplanet.com

Hope they do retire his number "58"

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Pics are tough to see. However, looks like they enjoyed life together as a family, something not everyone gets to do.

23. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm with you and his dad. He was trying to get the bike back up. As for the dad in general, what a champion. What he has said, about his son already being dead, and about not being upset about the stretcher, I think that helps a lot of fans. It lets them know what they probably already knew, but wont get from most mainstream media. Everything that could go wrong already had, Marco was already gone, and there's no need to try find someone to blame.

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Marco Simoncelli's father calls for 'minute of noise' in tribute to his son

From: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95826 :

"Next Sunday during the Valencia GP, instead of there being a minute's silence to honour Marco, I would prefer that there was a minute of total chaos with all the engines of the bikes of MotoGP, Moto2 and 125 all on and roaring together," Gazzetto dello Sport quotes Paolo Simoncelli as saying during an interview on television programme Domenica Cinque.

I hope he gets his wish! :)

25. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    Me too! I think that would be a great tribute to him.