R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta | Page 4 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bernardo66, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Yeah well... Not exactly how I wanted to subscribe.... If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The younger artisans are still out there. They're just a little harder to find.

3. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Rookie

Feb 24, 2012
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #78 PopsiclePete, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    The original building is not there now. There was a gas station (I don't remember the brand) with a 3 or 4 level garage. Luigi was on the 2nd floor. On the south side of St Catherine, around Avenue Victoria, maybe the 4800 block. You would never imagine so many fabulous cars pulling into the same gas station!

4. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    When they moved to Vanden-Abeele, Nicola's initial reaction was "who the hell is going to find us here??"

Luigi's reasoning was that people will always want Ferraris, no matter where you're located.

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Thanks for the location. That must have been quite the sight indeed!

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    It worked for him, but for us out here in Vancouver, we're all glad they moved out of their previous location to their new place on Burrard St!

7. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    What was wrong with the old location?

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    In a rough part of town...

Plus, the building was really small, so not much room to display, park and work on the cars. New place is way better.

9. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Three Classic Luigi stories that were forwarded to me from a friend.

"If you had a car at Luigi's shop - you knew it would be secure.

Story 1: My friend and fellow Ferraristi, Eric Lister, and I had occasion to drop into Vanden Abelee. There was a new 348 in the show room area. Eric (who once owned a 330 GTC and still has a 328 GTS and who was, at the relevant time, the person in charge of vehicle importation at Transport Canada) dared to open the driver's side door of the 348 without asking for permission to touch the car. OMG can you imagine! There was a another customer in the showroom at the time who appeared to have a relationship with Luigi and he intervened on behalf of Eric.

Story 2: My son and I traveled to Luigi's to drop off my car for servicing. My son drove the family car which was our shuttle vehicle. My son (clean cut and conservative) sat in the show room for at least 30 minutes waiting for me while I was in Luigi's inner sanctum. Nicola dropped his tools and watched my son for the entire time!

So the first time I took my car to Luigi’s – he called me the day after I dropped off my car and gave me **** since my car had dripped a few drops of oil on his workshop floor. This did not bother me since I was prepared for and recognized the primitive behavior and assumed the submissive role with the proprietor of the closest Ferrari dealership."

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Great. Thanks for posting that...

11. ilrglen

ilrglen Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2005
    Yorkton, SK, Canada
    Full Name:
    Glen Kohut
    I remember this garage. I met Luigi here in the mid 80's and I thought the place was fabulous. He was very nice to my friend and I who were two teenagers out on a road trip from Winnipeg one winter. We had a great visit. He will be missed. Sad to hear.

12. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    A big THANK YOU to Rob for making this "Thread of the Month" :)

13. Rocket machine

Nov 28, 2007
    Vancouver B.C.
    Full Name:
    Aldo
    When i purchased my Ferrari in Montreal the dealership told me the car was a Luigi car (possibly one of the last of his cars September 98) and after reading these wonderful threads on the history of this man i can see why the dealer stated: a Luigi car is worth 10% more than any other Ferrari!

14. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #89 bernardo66, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed!! Back then, I saw people willingly pay hefty premiums (30%) for a Luigi car. Today, it's a different reality. Although a Luigi car was well cared for when he still had a hand in servicing them, you have to consider that he was no longer "actively" servicing cars for a few years prior to his passing. However, his philosophy was passed on to his close clientele. With that in mind, yes, Luigi cars generally are in better condition than most. But, these cars don't change hands too often.

I was once sitting in his office and he pulled out a "Luigi" window decal and said that at one time, some unscrupulous people would offer him up to 5K per sticker to affix on their car. Obviously he refused.

Some stickers did wind up on non-Luigi cars. But given how the F-Car community is small, in Montreal we KNOW which cars were REALLY maintained by Luigi. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    BTW, just a quick edit/correction regarding dates. Luigi Della Grotta officially incorporated himself in 1960 and was the official dealer until December 31st, 1999.

Sometimes dates vary depending on who you speak to. :rolleyes:

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    B, just curious, what are the plans for his shop....is it still open, who has taken over the day to day.

17. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #92 bernardo66, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    At the moment, the shop is closed. During these last years, his shop was more of a clubhouse than a garage, so it doesn't affect the club members with regards to servicing. The day to day consisted of Luigi arriving at 12 and leaving at 6. People would go by to say hi and hang around. FYI, his mechanic had already set up shop not far away from there.

The family is currently evaluating all of the inventory of parts, tools and memorabilia. And trust me, they know exactly what they are sitting on. They won't get taken for a ride when they'll sell.

The 2 cars (92 Testarossa/3200 kms and 98 355 Berlinetta/87 kms....that's right!!!) that were in his showroom will also be sold.

The items (swag, promo goodies, memorabilia) belonging to the club will go to the club directors, and they'll decide how to split it.

It was confirmed to me that in short, the family wants NOTHING to remind them of Luigi's involvement with Ferrari. Their reasons for that are their own. But those of us close to that circle, sadly, aren't too surprised.

In a nutshell, the shop will become part of Montreal's Ferrari history/folklore.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    B is the 355b red/blk a six speed ?......if so I would be interested in it .... Pm me the details if you don't mind....thanks.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I would be proud to own something from his shop......

20. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I guess you're talking about Ralph M. in St-Laurent....right?

21. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Nope. Red & Tan. Details to follow.. ;)

True dat. It's a piece of history. :)

Oui.

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thanks B - but I have to pass on that color combo.

23. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    B- since Red is passing on the 355 due to the colour combo, please keep me posted when the family is ready to let it go.

24. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I'll keep folks posted. :)

25. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    My car is going to Ralph this friday for some final prep work including a new exhaust before I can call the restoration complete.

I believe Ralph has purchased all the tools from Luigi's garage since he knows the inventory better than anyone else.

I look forward to having Ralph work on my car...so far it's been a pleasure dealing with him.