R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta | Page 2 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bernardo66, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Yup!! That's classic Luigi.

2. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    An owner was going to pick up his newly acquired car. Just as he was about to sit inside, Luigi looks at him in horror and tells him not to get in the car. Luigi goes into his office, comes back with a pair of scissors and cuts off the buttons on the owner's back pants pockets.

"Now is OK" he then said! :D

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    he sold a car to a customer of mine back in the day, he picked up the car and paid by cheque. The new owner hops in the car like Boe Duke and drives to a near by gas station to fill the car with gas. Luigi watching his antics runs out waving the cheque in hand and said give me the car back, here's your cheque. After an hour of small talk Luigi relented and sold the car to him.

4. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I walked into his shop in 98 with the wife. He looks at me, looks at my wife and tells her: "tell him to lose 20 pounds, and I'll sell him a car".

5. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    one winter many years ago a customer of ours went to see Luigi, he walks in and left snow on his floor. Luigi points him to the door and tells him to clean his boots and not to enter his home (shop) with snow .

6. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    did you lose the twenty pounds?

7. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Oh yeah!!! You NEVER walked in with your dirty boots.

What about those that had their cars cleaned before taking it to him? ;)

8. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    LOL!!!! No.

The next time I went to see him, as I left, he turns to me and says: "Hold on, let me open both doors".

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I think that was the last time Bernie went back :D

10. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    He must of had a great sense of humor.

11. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I doubt that Vasco Bernie must have been a welcome customer,

Luigi had a sense of humour, while the grim reaper has none.

12. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Truthfully, the last time I went was about 3 years ago with the wife, to say hello. He kept us waiting outside for about 30 minutes, only to tell me to come back tomorrow, as (according to him) he was on his way out to pick up some parts.

By then I was already on the board of the FCA (after refusing twice to join his club), and I just wasn't up to facing his good-natured abuse. ;)

A few of his club members did tell me to go see him, as he would occasionally ask about me.

Oh well, too late for me. :(

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My wife does this the night before the cleaning lady comes....I don't get this.

Good stories though

14. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    LOL don't go there.

15. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    His abuse was always delivered with a half a smile. :) Rock, truth be told, I never was his customer. I never wound up buying a car from him, nor did he service it.

I was just a Ferrari family member. ;)

16. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    So who services your car?

17. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Vergonia!

18. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    you should take your wifes example and clean your car before you bring it in for service.

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Never gonna happen, get used to it :D

20. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco

We had many Montreal customers before ferrari que opened. We still have some but its a five hour drive.

21. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #46 Peter, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been a while since I've checked F'Chat or my facebook account, but when I was on FB last night and checking out the Ferrari Club of America page, I came across the notice that Bernardo posted on there...

I was deeply saddened to read about this. Like I mentioned on FB, Mr Luigi really nurtured and encouraged my interest in Ferraris. I started visiting his showroom when I was around 12 years old and would make a visit to his place about once a year. He always took the time to show me around the shop, let me take pictures of the cars, and on rare occasions, would let me sit in them. He would even give a little gift once in a while (like a Testarossa brochure, or my most treasured item, a key chain).

I dug up some photos earlier I had stashed away and scanned them this evening. It was from my last visit to his place, back in September 1996, just before I moved out to B.C., when he was still the franchised dealer on Vanden Abeele Street. He wished me success in my new life out west. Funny that only four years after these photos were taken, I would actually buy a Ferrari. It's too bad I couldn't get to show it to him, although, I'm sure he'd be proud...

RIP Mr. Luigi

:(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    How awesome is that...sweet !!

Love the first pic , looks like my parents house in the city....love the Italian home flair.

23. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Awesome story and pics Peter. Did you stay in touch? I see that you didnt show him your car but did you tell him you bought it?

24. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Like previously mentioned in this thread, he would have been the one who had planted and took care of that garden in front. Which really made the place stand out as those who remember where this dealership was located (just east of Dorval - now named Pierre Trudeau - Airport), was pure, nondescript industrial buildings. All concrete and ashphalt. I think the place next door was some sort of computer parts supplier. And here was his place with a lush garden out front.

I was always amazed at how immaculate the showroom and garage was inside. You could literally eat off the floor.

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Indirectly. When my parents (who now live out west too) went back to Montreal for visiting family, I had asked them to visit him and tell him about my purchase. By this time he was at his new location. This would have been around 2007.

When they stopped by he remembered them and invited them in (the shop was closed but he was there anyways). So they told him and showed him pictures of my 308. They said he simply smiled and almost shed a tear.

I know I have more photos stashed away of his place, so I'll try to find those and scan them and post them too.