Question: Why the value disparity in 250GTOs? | FerrariChat

Question: Why the value disparity in 250GTOs?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by James_Woods, Dec 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was watching a Chasing Classic Cars (Wayne Carini) marathon this holiday weekend.

One episode dealt with a 250GTO which went up for auction in Monterrey.

It sold for a record 9.5 million dollars.

However, in a reputed private sale - another 250GTO changed hands for FIFTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS.

It set me to thinking - why such disparity? Both cars were immaculately restored.

Carini commented that the 9.5 million dollar car had a "stigma" because a former driver of it was killed in a crash and that it was then restored. I am skeptical of this.

After all, probably a majority of the GTOs left have been wrecked at some time - some seriously.

Am I missing something here? After all - 50+ million is a LOT more than 9+ million.

2. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Might have been 39M or another century...

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Have a look:

Bonhams : Ferrari 250 Gto Achieves $38,115,000 (£22,843,633)A New World Auction Record At Bonhams Quail Lodge Sale

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't think a real GTO has sold that cheaply since the '80's... Are you sure it was a GTO?

5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Agree with other posters.
    late 80s - prices climbed from 1 mil to 10 million plus
    early 90s - crashed to 3 - 5 million
    late 90s - back to 5 - 10 million
    early 00s - rise to 10 - 15 million
    late 00s - rise to 15 - 30 million
    Now - 30 - 60 million
    2020 - who would know......... but might double again.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    S. McQueen's 275 went for $9+M, the GTO went for $38+M.

Regards,

Art S.

7. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Could the Wayne Carini episode have been a re-run from a few years ago? Some of the episodes of his show on my cable network are from a while back. Also, could the $9.5mm GTO be the same car at sold at auction this year for $38mm?

8. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    The GTO sold for $38M+ at Monterey was Violati's, 3851GT. Steve McQueen's 275 GTB/4 sold for $9.5M, hence the confusion.
    There appears to be a hierarchy among the 36 GTO's with some perceived as more valuable than others. Race provenance seems to rate high, a rebody or a re-rebody may have some influence on price. Series I versus Series II also seems to play a role.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    People can correct me if I am wrong... but I do not believe any other GTOs have been sold at Monterrey besides the Bonhams car for 39 million (and there is argument that this car didn't actually sell and the house bought it, but thats a rumor I heard months ago and didnt ever care to follow up)

I can say with certainty that there has not been any other GTO sold during Monterrey while wayne carini has been filming.

I am going to go out on a limb and say you have either mistaken the price or the car.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

just to be clear, james was watching a recent re-run and the gto was described as having a bit of a dark cloud hanging over it due to the crash history. it was the reason it only sold for $39MM.

that was what carini was speaking off and James was referring to.

11. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    The car actually did sell,,,in addition it was a no reserve sale!
    And the under bidder was in the room even if the winning bid was on the phone.
    True that the car history includes the deadly accident of Henri Oreiller, an Olympic ski champion turned car champion pairing with Lucien Bianchi ( actually of same family as Jules B the F1 driver accidented in Suzuka) . Question was if after this accident the car was repaired or Ferrari built a brand new one and gave it same identity, so in a way all the previous race history of this chassis ( before the accident) is more nominal than real. So all those elements plus probably some issues regarding the engine, most of Violati's car did not have a matching engine, can or should explain this relatively average performance. Saying it was a surprise is not correct , it was only a surprise for those who are not close to this market!

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

So you are confirming that this car 100% changed hands at the auction to the phone bidder? Feel free to PM if you would like