430 - Question on Installers avoiding certain header brands | FerrariChat

430 Question on Installers avoiding certain header brands

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Aug 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

So my time has come to address the exhaust manifolds (headers). I'm considering installing it with my dad's help as a project, but I'm getting quotes since I've been strapped for time lately and it may be worth having someone else do it.

The person who diagnosed the issue refused to install anything other than OEM because he's concerned other brands won't pass inspection, and he doesn't want to be held liable (he's had a bad experience before). I can understand that.

I then called another local installer asking for a quote to do the labor for Fabspeed, and he immediately says he won't install those. Says there's fitment issues enough times that he's not comfortable dealing with them. However, advises he can install Capristo or Tubi. Both great brands obviously. I'm waiting on a quote to see what that will run me.

Is there something us DIY people don't know about the other brands. Headers are pretty straight forward, I can't imagine that with so many others being installed there can be enough issues that an installer would avoid certain brands. Much less once that appears to be popular for the F430. Any thoughts?

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

i put on agency powers and they bolted rite on,,,no issues

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Brands definitely vary in quality, fit, and finish. The first shop is correct in that changing them out for street use is officially a Federal crime; that is true no matter who does them. If you are set on replacing them DIY there are a bunch of thread on here about doing them, many with pics. There are even more threads discussing the resulting CEL and efforts to get rid of the CEL.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I just replaced my factory headers on my 360 with Fabspeed. Fitment was perfect. Removal of the factory manifolds is more difficult than the installation of the new headers. I have installed engines, headers, etc on my other vehicles, which were muscle cars. You run into the exact same issues. Some bolts you can remove with one tool, and it takes you 39 seconds, and the next bolt takes you 45 minutes and a mix of 4 different sockets, wrenches, a bit of cursing and some scrapes and bruised knuckles. The big difference for me was metric sizes compared to imerial sixes.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I appreciate the feedback guys, I've yet to read of any major issues with AP or Fabspeed. As much as I would love Capristo's, there's just to big of a cost spread between getting a Capristo installed, and DIY Fabspeed to splurge on someone else doing the work. Honestly, I'm not balking at the labor costs, just doesn't seem like the more reputable Ferrari indy shops are interested in installing a set of Fabspeed.

Once I get a price from the Turbosource guys for customizing an inconel shield, I'm going to go with Fabspeed on the headers. Trying to figure out whether to get the shield or buy the blanket that Fabspeed matches to it.

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Where is this the case? If you don't disturb the emissions systems.....I don't believe the Federal government cares. States like Kalifornia are a different matter.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    IF I were to go down that path, it would be an inconel shield all the way.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The 360 and I believe the 430 both have precats in the headers to meet cold start emissions. There are also air rails but you can get aftermaket with air rails. SO, it is messing with the emissions system.

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a fitment issue with the Fabspeed header. It developed a leak at the gasket where the header mounts to the engine. Installer called Fabspeed and they said that it was within their manufacturing tolerance. I was a little upset that they did not step up. Installer had to mill the mount flat and reinstall.

10. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Our headers for the 430 are made out of and shielded/shelled with inconel because of the heat issue.
    Italian made so quality can speak for itself!

Just some background into how the shells/shields are made.
    When shops make shells/shields for certain products the the manufacturer of the shell/shield actually makes a casting of the product. This represents sort of a jig as you can say that they make the parts from. The reason I mention this is the cost that goes into this step can and will be very expensive. I've seen stainsteel shells/shields cost anywhere from 5-10 thousand dollars just to create this jig for production.

cavlino, shifter and VAF84 like this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the input Mike. Would be happy to entertain a quote for a set if you want to PM me. Still working on making a final decision on it.

Ridege55 - Thanks for sharing your experience, helpful in making a decision.

Skidskid - Would like to go the inconel route, I got the idea from another thread discussing header options where one of the members with an F355 got it done. I tried to call them today, but no answer and left a message. If it’s a couple of thousand or more, then I’ll pass, but if it’s less expensive than the blanket, it will certainly be an option.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It will be more $ than blankets but it works better and doesn't break down over time.

VAF84 likes this.
  13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Im not an exhaust expert but while working as a commercial aircraft mechanic inconel was the common ducting. This was done to save weight and for tens of thousand of hours of guaranteed operation where failure meant bad things.
    On a street car that is only occationally used it seems an over expense.
    IMO a high quality stainless one will save you big bucks.
    On the other hand TUBI is the unofficial accepted aftermarket brand.
    Check out their sale here.

SAFE4NOW and VAF84 like this.
  14. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Well, I just got a good deal with Fabspeed, so I went with the headers and blankets. Originally I planned to keep the car, and I would have been split between Tubi/Capristo, but with the potential for going back to school, it looks like I'll have to sell in the near future. Since I'm likely to sell it towards bottom of market price, I'll never make back the difference. I don't feel like I'll be sacrificing on quality and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. That said, I've probably left some performance capability on the table that I could have gained with the other two, but I'm happy with the F430's current abilities so it's not something I nor the future owner will miss.

LightGuy likes this.
  15. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    VAF84 likes this.
  16. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Ridege55, as I mentioned above, I'm hesitant to continue adding aftermarket parts since there's a good chance I'm selling in the near future. However, I originally wanted to get an x-pipe for the car. Shoot me a PM with what you want for them and I'll think it over just in case.

17. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ridge55,

Pm me the price. I'm interested.
    Thanks.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the warranty transferable ?
    Unless you are racing the car professionally the difference in one brands HP rate over anothers is only usefull in water cooler conversations. Or the internet. ;)

one4torque likes this.
  19. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Depending on the brand and part, some well known companies don't subtract as much value from the vehicle.
    Most Ferrari owners do not have an issue with an aftermarket Tubi exhaust on their car. ;)

cavlino, SAFE4NOW and Skidkid like this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Ditto in red.... They pretty much sell and run.

f355spider and Shark01 like this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1
    If you haven't heard of issues with Fabspeed products and especially customer service you haven't even done a simple search in this forum

Rifledriver and f355spider like this.
  22. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Full disclosure in that we sell Tubi products at our dealer but we've never had any issues with them; customer service, product, or otherwise.

cavlino and Tubi Sales like this.
  23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    tubi has been good to me wrt ferrari and lambo parts going back to 2002!

cavlino and Tubi Sales like this.
  24. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    You might want to have a machine shop check the mating surfaces of the headers before you install them to make sure they are perfectly planed. I've read about a couple of people having an issue with this, and it's a lot less trouble to check for it up front. The good news is that it's no big deal to have them milled if they're not flat.

one4torque likes this.
  25. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Always have a machine shop or someone who has experience, measure the flatness of the manifold flange. It’s too easy to do and too much work to address once they are on.

I have Tubi, and beyond the inconel advantage, they look like stock manifolds with the metal heat shield.

I did have to cut and weld a cap on the air rails as I didn’t want the cover plate and screws to leak or show in the engine compartment, and had to touch up a couple welds, but other than that they appear very well made.

I haven’t had time to install mine yet, probably never will. I need to look for a local place to do it for me one day.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tubi Sales likes this.