Question for the dental experts | FerrariChat

Question for the dental experts

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by crazy canuck, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I've developed some sensitivity that I'm told by my dentist is along my gum line on the side

He has suggested something called buckles or what I understand to be the placement of tooth like material along the gums.

I've also heard of people who have tissue from other parts of their mouth grafted on their gums. Which is better from a performance longevity and cost points of view ?

Thanks

2. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I assume that what you have is some exposed root surface where your gum may have receded a little- So long as the gums are healthy this in itself this is not particularly an issue.
    the problem often leads to sensitivity as this area don't have the hard enamel covering that the crown of your tooth has.
    The long term problems are
    1) tooth wear ( abrasion cavities) when, as the exposed root is relatively soft incorrect brushing technique will wear a groove in the surface, increasing sensitivity and weakening the tooth.
    Make sure your dentist/hygienist goes through with you correct brushing technique so as to not make the problem worse
    These cavities can be restored by bonding composite resin on the buccal (root) surface- it forms a barrier to stop the cold getting through and prevents you wearing the tooth structure-if you are heavy handed with your brushing you may wear the composite over time but this doesn't matter as it can be redone.
    If you don't have abrasion cavities but just exposed ,sensitive cementum you can just apply desensitisers to the surface which is a cheaper option than placing restorations.
    fwiw We charge approx £55 per restoration at our practice in the uk but have no idea on cost in USA- I guess considerably higher !!

cheers,Bob

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @crazy, what your dentist is recommending is buccal fillings. meaning, a filling facing the cheeks. most likely a white composite filling.
    if the gum recession is minimal and the abrasion areas(known as abfraction lesions) are minimal, just try desentizing toothpaste.
    the cause is likely due to bruxism(teeth grinding.....stress?). if so, consider getting a night guard.
    if severe recession, consider gum grafting.
    if large grooves in teeth, consider fillings. however, some of these fills will pop out if you are a heavy duty grinder. night guard will help this too.
    btw, im not a dentist, but i did stay at a holiday in last night. :)
    ed

4. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Thanks for the info

Wow is that 55 quid per tooth ?i think I might have to move to the uk!

So it sounds like a good idea to get them done then.

5. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Interesting. Being a non- dentist, I can't quite tell how bad the abrasions are but he has told me that they are likely from an incorrect brushing technique.

I tried an electric toothbrush, but it just tickles too much. Maybe they'll invent one that doesn't soon !

I have thought about the mouth guard, but it seems like a pain to use every day. Do they have a way to definitively tell whether you're grinding your teeth while you sleep vs just wear - which could be just normal chewing wear ?

6. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    In US such a bonded filling is between 150 and 200 USD, depending on size.

I can recommend that you switch to a low abrading toothpaste, one that contains Baking Soda as an abrasive.
    Shallow laesions will get better if you use Sensodyne tooth paste. Not only when you brush, but also to apply as an "ointment" after brushing before you go to bed.
    It is a good idea not to rinse your mounth after brushing, as the Fluoride in the tooth paste will act for longer.

Deep lesions usually need to be filled / covered. Not only are you having the sensitivity, in extreme cases the nerve can get damaged. Then you need a rootcanal treatment. There you are talking 500 to 1200 US, minimum. I have seen cases where even the tooth snaps off at the gum line, but those are rare.

A product calked Tooth Mousse is fery useful in remineralising the exposed root surfaces too.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    While I understand the rationale behind this suggestion, I believe this has the potential to cause serious health problems. Fluorine is a highly toxic substance.

"Fluoride competes for the receptor sites on the thyroid gland which respond to TSH; so that this hormone reaches the thyroid gland and so fewer hormone is manufactured"... this is a direct quote from a 2014 SpringerPlus (Springer-Verlag) research paper on fluoride ingestion levels. Fluorine prevents the thyroid from producing thyroid hormone.

It is not a good idea to ingest fluoride, even accidentally. Make sure you do not end up ingesting the toothpaste.

I have over the years noticed an alarming increase in thyroid dysfunction amongst all ages of adults, including young people. I think a lot of that is due to low iodine intake and possibly fluorine toxicity induced by fluorinated water, toothpaste along with continual removal of iodine from people's diets. Not many people make sure they get sufficient iodine. Chronically low iodine intake results in inflammation of the thyroid glands, which can lead to cancer amongst other problems. This is just the effects of fluorine toxicity on the thyroids. If you want to learn more about fluorine toxicity this Internet link The Effects Of Fluoride On The Thyroid Gland mentions other health concerns.