question for any lawyers | FerrariChat

question for any lawyers

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by yesod, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My wife has been a nurse fo almost years. She has worked in mostly high risk areas. She has beenin healthcare for about 14 years.She has decided to go to law school. She wants to focus on healthcare law. Do you think she will be pretty marketable when she gets out of school? Is farly easy to get a position in this field?

2. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry about the mistakes. Wireless keyboard is acting up on me. She has been a nurse for 10 years.

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Almost nothing worthwhile is easy. (Well, Paris Hilton may just prove my point). We have a substantial healthcare practice, and while i am not involved in it, it seems to require little actual knowledge of health care, per se, but alot of labor law issues, policy making and the like. I'm sure, if you were talking about medical malpractice litigation, knowing the actual working of a hospital would be key, as would knowledge about treatment regimes, and the like. But, this is info that skilled trial lawyers learn on the job. And, hire experts to opine on, for juries and judges. So, i'm not sure having experience in a field makes you a better lawyer in that field, absurd as that sounds. Can't hurt, though.

4. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    whart,

how's the gt2? last time i spoke with you, you were still getting used to it. And by the way, thanks again for taking the time to speak with me about ip/entertainment law.

~ larmer

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

Depends on what she plans on doing in the legal world. If some of the recent legislation is passed, there may not be a lot of work in that field, since they are attempting to restrict a patient's right to compensatoin for health care torts. Their calling this "tort reform", but the bottom line is restricting victim's rights to compensaton.

As things stand now, your wife would be in demand, depending upon the jurisdiciton that she would practice in. In California, we have tort reform, called MICRA (Medical Insurance Reform Act) which restricts the compensation lawyers can obtain from these types of cases, the amount of damages that an injuried patient can receive, etc. That has drastically cut into the quantity of these types of cases. By the way, we passed our legislation in 1976 under Government Jerry Brown whose chief of staff pushed it: Grey Davis.

Art