Question about internal gas tank filter... | FerrariChat

Question about internal gas tank filter...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Sep 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 davemqv, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Hi All,

I need to find a filter that goes inside the gas tank (who knew?!). The part number is 116404. Anyone have any idea where to find one, or if there is a suitable substitute? Or if this filter is needed at all for the car to operate correctly? I'm assuming most people never change the filter inside their gas tank and on 20-35 year old cars they must all be rotted out by now anyway?

Edit: Apparently the filter was replaced with part number 136594. Any leads appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Google 116404 fuel filter- u get parts supplier plus ref to Lancia parts so might be worth seeing if used in Lancia. Uk suppliers not showing as stock item.

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I don't believe that filter was designed as a maintenance item like the Bosch filter. Worst case if you had a lot of varnish in the tank, it might clog. I would take the filter out and spray it with carb cleaner, and drain the tank.

If you use Techron regularly, it will disolve any varnish in the fuel system. Great stuff.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks
    Dave[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the Techron. As it stand I have rust in my tanks. I have no idea how rust accumulated in aluminum tanks, but it's been a bear trying to get it all out. On the upside I think we've found a filter.

Thanks, Dave

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A full tank won't rust. This creates something of a quagmire for cars that aren't daily drivers. The gas will go bad if let sit for long enough. I guess the best thing to do is keep the tank full, and drain the gas along with the other fluids once a year.

I have heard of filling the tank with E85 ethanol to clean out rot. Never tried that myself.

6. MR DENNIS MCGUIRE

Feb 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    sagedm

Good to know about the Techron. As it stand I have rust in my tanks. I have no idea how rust accumulated in aluminum tanks, but it's been a bear trying to get it all out. On the upside I think we've found a filter.

Thanks, Dave[/QUOTE]

I am also looking for a source for the 116404 filter. Where did you find it?

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am also looking for a source for the 116404 filter. Where did you find it?[/QUOTE]
    Now pt 136594, if u can find one