Question about 308 radio install | FerrariChat

Question about 308 radio install

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, Apr 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OK, I am told 308s did not come with a radio from the factory. My 308 came with a bigger CD unit that unfolded like a Transformer when you turned it on. Turns out it was causing an electrical draw so I wanted to replace it.

I was told many were fitted with a Blaupunkt (I forget the model number) in 1979 and I found one NOS in the box. It looks like the hole that was cut in the dash Is for the bigger stereo ? My question is, does anyone have a photo of the original dash opening of the stock configuration? Dimensions would be even better, lol.

This is what’s coming out of mine now. Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Unfortunately I cant help you with a pic of an unmolested dashboard, but when mine was out of the car I could clearly see the fiberglass had been cut to suit the single DIN CD player that was in the car when I bought it. Rather than go to the trouble of re-glassing the dash to suit the original pin style radios of the era, I found that the 80's Alpine cassette deck I was fitting was a perfect fit into the metal mounting sleeveof the DIN CD player. All I had to do was secure the cassette deck into the sleeve at the right depth for the pins to sit correctly out of the dash once the face plate was fitted> The one in your pic appears to be standard single DIN size , so it may be an option in your situation as well Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Crowndog likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you want to be absolutely spot on and cool, you want a Blaupunkt CR 2001.

That was model installed by the dealer in (one of) the 1979 308 used on the first season of Magnum.

FrannyB and Ferraritalian like this.
  4. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

Well, this is what I bought NOS in the box to go in the car...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Where did you find that still new in the box?

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I was researching radios last year, I found that the CR2001 was the model I needed. I did a search on eBay and this was sitting there. There were a bunch of other units, all in different states of disrepair. Frankly, I was a little thrown by the fact it was so easy, but I knew if I hesitated I’d probably never find another one so I hit the Buy it Now button.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I did the same back in about 2000 with a Blaupunkt 3001 which was the one I saw, almost without exception, on all the 2V injected cars I came across back pre 1983 when I was a kid. I found one absolutely so pristine that I don't think the box had even been opened. I HAD to have it. I don't remember what I paid but I am sure it didn't come cheap.

Unfortunately I had to pull it out last year after nearly two decades. I have an Alpine CD changer wired in it (display is in that little coin place where your clock and oil temp are and the changer is on the spare tire). It plugs into the antenna and you set the radio to a particular station. For some reason that particular Blaupunkt just couldn't stay in stereo mode when I was only playing a CD. It would sound fine for about the first 15 minutes then it would start getting weird, dropping channels etc. The little light that lit up on the display indicating it was in stereo mode would cut on and off. That unit has a stereo/mono button so I would end up putting it on mono where for some reason it did fine. It also never dropped stereo when listening to the radio. But mono isn't stereo and I have a four channel amplified component speaker system so mono sucked. I tried EVERYTHING, I even swapped out 3001's (I have about 4 but that one was just mint) and they ALL did it.

Mine is an 84 and the dealer, FAF, installed a Blaupunkt Aspen originally (I have the invoice). The Aspen doesn't have the stereo/mono switch option and it works just fine playing CD's. I hate that I had to lose that 1981 look but I get a great sound now, something I really never had for after much expense and effort for twenty years.

9. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #10 Ferraritalian, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Apparently I need the ‘’box” or sleeve or radio holder or whatever it is called for this install. Anyone know of where they are sold and what they are correctly called?

NOTE, I see an old post calling it a ‘’shaft radio housing?”

In this diagram, I don’t see it. I don’t believe it’s #7, isn’t that what people cut up to fit it in?

Attached Files:

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #7 is just part of the dash where the radio fits.

You need a little metal sleeve that holds on to that and extends about half way over the radio body to hold it still. There is really nothing for it to sit on back in there. Without one it would just flop around

I'll post a pic of what you need.

Ferraritalian likes this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  12. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you, that’s very helpful. I’ve seen those before, but I assumed it was some special weird ass primitive vintage Ferrari thing. I saw a post here from 2004 of a member offering the “original box’ part he was taking out while installing a CD unit.

Thanks again for your help.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  13. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

Better? Definitely more Magnum, lol.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I haven't, but I'm seriously interested in it.

16. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    It arrives in a week and then I need to find time to tinker around with the install. Assuming I don’t break anything else in the process I’ll let you know how it goes !

thorn and Ferraritalian like this.
  17. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, post up How it works out.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Same

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So you got a new unit installed??

The old face of the dash was a rectangular opening and then two holes on either thru the dash for the knobs.
    What any older car guy would call "radio mounting" but of course it does not allow for a CD inserted.

The later units, that use the "box sleeve" that Tommy posted I would call a "modern mounting" as those side slots let you unclip the whole unit.

The stock units on our cars were supported by the two shafts thru the holes.
    Once you take a deep breath and "saw the dash" I guess riveting in an older metal plate would be the way "backward"???

20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I seem to remember the units had a bolt end sticking out the back that allowed you to mount a hanger. The hanger was just a metal strip with holes in it the whole length.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, the knobs at the front and a rear strap to "something".....

When I wanted a CD player I went to a detachable face Blaupunkt.
    But it does have constant power needs, the timer and presets, I have not had any problems with that..

Lit up it looks like a juke box so I can understand wanting a more low key display.
    An Aux In or a trunk changer maybe, but I am "good" where I am and truthfully do not use it much..

I think "The Greatest HITS of Southern Rock" is the Cd currently jammed in there....

Crowndog likes this.
  22. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ

So just an update, the new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 did arrive and it looks like it will fit the opening without the need for sawing or a surround frame. It comes with a pretty standard looking frame. The problem I'm having is the old pioneer thats in there is being stubborn to come out. The release key slots are much smaller than the keys that came with Blaupunkt and the opening is too tight for me to wedge a butter knife in on both sides to release it simultaneously. I ordered removal keys from Ebay and hopefully I'll be in business once they get here.

All that putzing around did allow me to discover that the tube that goes to the HVAC vents under the radio has a few holes in it. Would that allow air to get into the cooling system by any chance?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think those holes are supposed to be there.

24. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    That radio is the same as I have in a Triumph TR8.
    It works but not well. In another Triumph TR8 I have a Kenwood model 302. it is a much better radio.

I just had an Alpine unit fail in my 308. It was auto functioning for reverse and killing the battery. I had lot of trouble getting it out. It was replaced with yet again another Kenwood 302.......I will try to confirm that model #. It does much better than the Alpine.

I would like to try one of the new style radios that do NOT have a mechanical player for the TR8's. They are really short on room and for me would be a better deal in the Ferrari 308.

STAY SAFE !