QP III Starter Interchange? | FerrariChat

QP III Starter Interchange?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wizard1969, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wizard1969

wizard1969 Rookie

May 19, 2014
    Does anyone know an interchange part for a QP III starter. Mine is a 1981 model year.

Thanks!
    Adam

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Adam...

Off the top, I am unaware of an interchange. But I will check through some documentation
    I have to see if anything is mentioned... Can you provide some details on your car? There are
    one or two other threads on the QPIII within this forum which might be useful to you.. It might
    be good to post your question there. That way much of the QPIII information is concentrated
    in a few threads... Just a thought...

In the meantime, keep an eye out on e-bay, and sites that indicate a QPIII being scrapped.
    You may also want to check with MIE and see what info they have on possible starter replacements...
    Also, is it possible yours might be rebuildable by a good electric shop, like those that do alternators?

Mike

3. wizard1969

wizard1969 Rookie

May 19, 2014
    The defective starter came from MIE. Problem is that I bought it a couple of years ago and we just put it in the car, so no return is available.

4. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    The manual says Chrysler 4091950 for the automatic and Bosch 0001366012 for the manual. If you look up the Chrysler number at Rock Auto's site, it sends you to the two Chrysler starters they have. I just had mine (automatic) rebuilt at a local shop. It's a very common type.

F456M likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I had an 84. I'm almost positive I had my starter rebuilt. It has been too many years to remember and I have rebuilt many parts for maser and ferrari. There is not much to it. google Rotex, gardena, calif.

6. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
  7. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mark,
    Could you confirm that the RobbMC starter was adapted for an automatic Quattroporte? GLB's post above indicates that Maserati used different starters for the auto and manual versions (Chrysler vs. Bosch). I have an '82 auto QP and would like to use the RobbMC as a replacement for my current starter, but would appreciate having confirmation that it will fit before ordering.
    Thanks for your help!

8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Not sure where you are located.
    You can pick-up a new one at a decent price here:

https://www.simon-auto-shop.de/S9635

Enjoy!

9. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Yes, my 1984 QPIII is also an auto and the Robb #3005 starter was able to be fitted and work with the car. The only issue I know of is that the mechanic who installed it said that he had to do some light machining on the starter in order to get a good fit onto the car. The new starter has been on the car 4 years and has been 100% reliable to date.

10. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great, thanks! I've ordered one (and I second Thor's feedback on how excellent and helpful RobbMC customer service is) and will let you guys know how it works for me.

11. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hello all,

I have another starter-related question for MrMark or anyone else who worked on this car. Does anyone know the required bolt size (thread diameter and length) used to install the starter on its mounting bracket?

These bolts are listed as follows in the spare parts catalog, table 8:
    - item 16, part no. 433.08.73.00, "Bolt for fixing starting motor to support"
    - item 19, part no. 433.08.70.00, "Bolt for fixing starting motor to support"

which makes me think they are not identical.

Many thanks in advance

Image Unavailable, Please Login