QA1 shocks | FerrariChat

QA1 shocks

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Has any one here researched and found suitable parts #'s for QA1 replacement shocks for our 400i Ser. 1 cares. I am looking for shocks to perhaps replace the Konis on my 1980 400i that does not have the the self leveling system? Thank you all so very much in advance. Jq.

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Superformance.co.uk (not .com) does provide the rear shocks and spring. You would then have to add some 150lb coilovers to compensate for the missing self leveling and finally fabricate some shims to get the proper ride height. Please note that I've not tested it myself but deducted from discussions here in the forum.

As far as I am concerned when my original levelers were really weak, my mechanics fabricated some shims to fix the ride height and I could make it do like this.

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Schumi likes this.
  4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Temerian, can I ask what the charge was to restore each type?

5. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    The total was a little less than $2,400.00 including the shipping so @$600.00 per shock. They disassembled and inspected each before giving me an estimated cost and the final total was almost exactly what the estimate was. It took them around 2 months to do the work which was fine with me as I cleaned and painted all the rear suspension parts, replaced the bushings and rebuilt the rear brake calipers (couldn't resist painting the latter). I haven't put it on the road yet as the engine is still out of the car so I will post an update when I do. Hope this helps. Rick

6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you very much as that will help others.

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    As far as I can tell, the rear leveling system is no missing on my car...it was never fitted. Jq.

8. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Mine was also never fitted. Rick

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Correct but people that have dropped the levellers just use the standard koni shock with an additional 150lb coil-over to replace the missing leveller. You could work on a similar basis : keep your springs, use stock damper with an "empty" damper ?