Pulling a Ghibli engine (am115) - tips and tricks? | FerrariChat

Pulling a Ghibli engine (am115) - tips and tricks?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Heymj73, Feb 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi all,
    I’m about to pull the engine for a rebuild. A few queries:
    I’m height clearance constrained in my garage. My engine crane will not have enough reach from the front. How do folks tackle this? From the side and lift it across the wing/front mudguard, but run risk of fouling on wheel/stands. Or I can make up a gantry and lift the engine via a block and tackle, then roll car back.
    It looks simpler to pull the engine at the bell housing. Any advantage in pulling the transmission at the same time as one unit? For what it’s worth it’s an early twin disc clutch car.
    There looks to be two lifting plates/hooks bolted between the cam banks next to cyl 4 and 5. Are they lift points and is that the balance point including the g/box?
    Any other macro issues to consider at the moment (no doubt there will be plenty of small ones that will pop up!)?
    Much appreciated for any input.
    Cheers
    Mathew

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    F456M, Heymj73 and awohlmann like this.
  3. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Very useful, thanks Froggie

4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Yes, excellent pics, and reply.

5. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hi,
    thought i would give a quick update for those in the future that may do this themselves.
    Mine is an early twin plate clutch car, it may be different for other cars.
    Process - i did this alone, though it will be a two person job to reinstall
    1. Car raised on axle stands. Remove all ancillary connections from the engine to the car. I also removed the inlet manifold with carbs. i left the AC unit in.
    2. I thought long and hard, but ultimately followed Ivan's "Clutch Replacement" instruction to remove the interior to access the transmission. I did not remove the transmission up through the cabin though. It is much easier to lower it down onto a dolly and slide it out from underneath the car once the engine is out. In fact i would not have been able to remove the transmission through the cabin with the engine in, as the input shaft would not clear the thrust bearing assembly. I remember my father, RIP, saying to get to the clutch the engine needed to be removed. This would appear to be the case. I also suspect that with some deft hand work and some special tools it would be possible to remove engine and gearbox without stripping interior.
    3. I used an engine crane 250kg limit at full 1230mm extension and managed to get the engine out by coming in from an angle at the passenger side (with the wheel off), lifting the engine up while at the same time slowly moving the crane around to the front of the car. Ultimately the engine came out over the front of the car. The engine balances very easily using the D loops between the rear of the heads, and a rope to under the front of the accessory pulley
    4. Transmission lowered onto dolly and rolled out from underneath
    5. I will follow the reverse procedure to put it back together, but will hire an engine crane with 1450 mm reach so as to avoid having to go in from the side. To be clear this will involve installing the transmission into position and temporarily supporting it first from underneath.
    6. With the right crane unit and some good balancing / weighting skills the engine and trans would come out together from the front. you'd need 1600mm reach plus 500kg capacity.
    I'll update for the record the installation procedure
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

6. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Interesting to learn the sequence of gearbox lower extraction and engine lift up.

Heymj73 likes this.
  7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I also have an early Ghibli but it is a coupe with the twin disc clutch. I was able to pull the transmission thru the interior of the car to replace the clutch without pulling the engine or moving it forward. Since the ifo shown is for a spyder there may be different clearance issues. The transmission is very heavy and you need at least two strong people to get it out

8. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Hmm, interesting Eogorman. To be clear my car, the light blue one, is an early coupe with twin plate clutch. Even if i wanted to the trans was not coming through the interior, i couldn't move it far enough back to clear the input shaft from the clutch assembly.
    Needless to say while it's all apart i'll do all those "while I'm in there" type jobs / maintenance!

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have also removed the gearbox from an early dual clutch Ghibli through the interior. I wonder why you could not pull the gearbox back enough to clear the input shaft. Did you disconnect the drive shaft and moved it out f the way?

Ivan

10. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    I followed your paper to remove the gearbox. on my car it could not be moved far enough back to clear the input shaft. The housing of the gearbox was in interference with the chassis, on passenger side from memory (RHD). it could not be jiggled around or moved to avoid this interference. There was less than 5mm in it at the input shaft. Did i try everything to get the gearbox free while the engine was in place? Probably not but i gave it a good go.
    The thread relates to engine removal - Has anyone actually removed an engine from a ghibli?
    What i can say is that the method i used to remove the engine did require decoupling from the gearbox first, as well as 'floating' the gearbox. on my car you would not be able to lift and move the engine forward with the gearbox mounted in place. The engine would interfere with the front cross member, and lifting it to clear would put too much pressure on the input shaft. With the engine out the notion of lifting the gearbox through the cabin is ridiculous. I believe this will hold for reinstallation - as said i'll report back.
    What i am intrigued by is the notion of lifting the engine and gearbox out as a single unit. If one had the right lifting equipment i think it could be done without stripping the interior, noting that work would be required under the car while the unit was 'hanging' from the crane (e.g. speedo drive removal).