PS3 Yellow Light of Death - Fixable? | FerrariChat

PS3 Yellow Light of Death - Fixable?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BlackBird007, Jan 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a PS3 that I recieved as a Christmas gift in 2007, I believe it was an 80 gig. Got the first YLoD tonight.

I was playing Modern Warfare 3, then all of a sudden, it beeps 3 times and shuts off.

Question is, is it fixable, or is it pretty much dead?

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    AFAIK... nothing you can do.

You may be able to send it back to Sony... but you are probably better just getting a new PS3.

3. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What I ended up doing. I did take it to a shop to have them look at it, and they said it's dead. So they got MW3 and the HDD out. Now the question is, can I use the HDD to transfer data to my new PS3?

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    not true. suggett48116 has repaired his numerous times.

5. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just Google YLOD and you'll see that it can be fixed even by yourself if you feel adventurous.

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Ah ok. I just googled and you are right... does seem some people have fixed theirs. I had not heard of those problems before.

If my first PS3 ever dies (i just bought a new one pre-emptively because the fan was sounding like a jet engine... my old one is only a 20 gig... now I've got a 320 slim! :)) I may give this a shot.

7. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #7 suggett48116, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes fixing the YLOD takes about an hour. To be safe I no longer leave my case on it runs so much cooler without it. I also installed a potentiometer to control my fan speed and also use a old computer heat sink with fan to pull heat from the power supply which gets very hot. I included a few pictures. first picture is the PS3 in repair the second is how mine looks everyday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login