Protein questions | FerrariChat

Protein questions

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by thirteendog, Oct 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    How important is protein when you're trying to lose weight? Should I drink/eat protein supplements? I work out 5 days a week 3 of which are weights and 45 minutes of cardio the other two are 1 1/2 hours of cardio.
    Should I keep a food journal for everything I eat?

2. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    IMO the food journal is dependent on how quickly you want results and how dedicated you are to your diet and training. As for the protein if your primary goal is to lose weight I'd stick to getting your protein from the foods you eat and stay away from the extra shakes and supplements. If in the future you're looking at bulking up and building more muscle then you'd want to look into extra sources of protein to promote muscle growth.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree, very good points.

I too would recommend getting protein only from whole foods, rather than shakes. Stick with the lean meats (fish and chicken mostly, but beef and pork would be a good mix once or twice during the week).

Make sure to get your green vegetables and eat some fruits as well.

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    #4 thirteendog, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
    Ah I'm down another 3 lbs That puts me at 227 lbs. Yippy, but I wanted to go over my diet with you guys to see if I can do better, that and I'm interested in seeing what you guys think.

I wake up around 7:00 in the morning to 3 wonderful cups of coffee
    9:30 - 10:00 I eat some oatmeal
    1:00 - 2:00 I eat lunch normally a lean cuisine (haven't figured out what else to do for work)
    3:00 - 4:00 I eat an Apple normally granny smith or honey crunch
    5:30 - 6:00 I eat dinner normally another lean cuisine (I'm still at work they gym's on my way home and I don't want to eat after wards)
    6:30 - 8:30 (it varies) Work out time. Arms on Monday/ Legs and Shoulders Wednesday/ Chest and Back on Friday/ with 45 minutes of Cardio, 1 1/2 hours of cardio Tuesday and Thursday, Abs everyday
    9:30 - 10:30 Bed time zzzz

I'm afraid with all the Frozen meals I'm getting alot of sodium which makes me retain water. I normally drink close to 4 liters a day at work, and I swear I sweat it all out that night at the gym lol

Oh and I can already see weight coming off my face. That's exciting. I look forward to only having one chin. lol

5. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Get away from the frozen dinners!

If you're serious about changing your eating habits you need to start purchasing fresh foods and cooking for yourself.

For the breakfast I'd add in some fruit and eggs or some other form of natural protein such as peanut butter (all natural is better). It's important to get most of your energy in the morning since you just woke up and your body needs calories to start off the day. You could also throw the extra stuff in as a small meal/snack in between your breakfast and lunch to keep the metabolism up.

For the lunches and dinners you want to be getting portions of lean meat such as chicken as well as a hearty serving of the green veggies. If you're having problems eating healthy at work you should try and cook your meals at night in portions of two. You can eat one portion and then throw the other into a container to reheat at work which is much better than the frozen stuff. For carbs you definitely want to go with whole grains whether it be pasta or bread and keep the portions smaller on days that you're not doing cardio at the gym. Your body uses carbs as an initial energy source before it starts using the fat so a little boost will help to start off your cardio workouts.

Basically try and get away from those frozen meals.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with frozen meals? I'm asking because I really don't know. I'm going to try and start cooking for the week on Sunday's when I get back from the gym after Church. Do I need to eat my veggies raw or can I steam them? I really like grilled asparagus but when you heat them up in the microwave they seem to taiste funky. Any tips would help. Thank you everyone for your help.

7. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    depends on what you want to do.

take protein supplements if you want to get in shape (get toned or bulk up) and it varies with your excerise routine, if a person is quite over weight and the aim is to simply down size in the quickest amount of time, then i'd suggest eat healthy, cardio everyday, and keep up with vitamin supplements should give the cut one needs.

take protein when you have lost the weight and wanted to start tone/bulk up.

8. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    It's mainly the huge amounts of sodium that are in them. If they could find a way to package food without the ridiculous amounts of sodium they wouldn't be as bad for you. The veggies don't necessarily have to be raw, steamed or cooked are perfectly fine as well.

9. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Dude, you need to eat a LOT more than that. Don't forget, you need to eat fat to lose fat. A diet like yours is simply going to turn you into 'skinny fat'. I've been there, and trust me, it's not fun.

I notice a lot of flaws with your diet.

Firstly, you need to eat something when you wake up. Waiting a couple of hours is too long. Don't forget, your body is fasting all night because you're sleeping. You also need to be snacking between your meals. Your metabolism is like a fire - you need to keep fueling it. Also, if you're not consumer protein after your workout, what's the point of working out in the first place?

Here's my diet (mind you my goal is to put on muscle, but I am trying to do it as cleanly as possible):

7am: 1 scoop casein protein w/ skim milk, 2 fish oil pills, 1 multi
    8am: 2 cups rolled oats, 1 apple
    10am: Fat-free turkey breast on whole wheat, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
    12pm: 10oz chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup brown rice
    2pm: 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese, 10 almonds
    4pm: 1 scoop isolate whey w/ skim milk & oats (pre-workout)
    6pm: 1 scoop isolate whey, 1 banana (post-workout)
    7pm: 2 cups greens w/ vinigarete
    9pm: 1 cup cottage cheese
    11pm: 2 scoops casein protein w/ skim milk

Great diet to trim down, build TONS of muscle (I'm probably getting over 1.5g protein/pound).

If you're trying to lose weight quickly, I would suggest researching the EC stack. I took it for a month or so and cut about 8 pounds.

10. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    if just tone up, 1g protein/pound is enough. and plus it all depends on the amount of workouts and genetics as well, if he does a good amount of cardio + compound workouts, then i think good amount of protein is good, pure weights doesn't burn fat as effective.

11. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I thought you the rule was you shouldn't eat more than a few hours before bed.

12. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    That's 100% incorrect. You shouldn't consume carbs or sugars before bed, but protein (preferably slow-release like casein) is recommended as it fuels your muscles while you're asleep.

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Protein helps muscle recovery as well as tissue recoveries. not losing weight.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You need to eat something when you get up. Hard boil some eggs and have 3 egg whites and one whole egg. And add a banana. Or eat a bowl of cereal. Something like Puffed Wheat has practically nothing in it. And you can get the store brand for $0.99.

Then eat again at 10.

You need to look at eating whole foods and not the frozen dinners. They just have so much sodium and added sugars.

Look at grilling/baking skinless/boneless chicken breast on Sunday afternoon (I do mine on Saturday) for the entire week. That's 10-12 breasts, 2 per day. Also cook your veggies. Seperate into zip lock bags and put in the fridge. Grab before you leave for the day and you're good to go.

15. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Part 1

Part2

Two good articles for you to read about protein and nutrition in general.

16. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #16 Admiral Thrawn, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    You have no meat after midday until 10am the following morning??

Mine:

Meal 1: 4 eggs, bowl of oats, fruit juice, multi v tab, glucosamine+chondrotin tab, teaspoon fish oil (equivalent to about 10 caps), toast + pb if im really hungry

Meal 2: Protein shake, fruit

Meal 3: chicken breast/fish/beef, rice/pasta, veggies

Meal 4: Protein shake, fruit

Meal 5: chicken breast/fish/beef, rice/pasta, veggies, fruit juice

Gym

Meal 6: Protein shake, fruit, yoghurt

Might thrown in some cheese, yoghurt, cashews, almonds and extra fruit between meals if i feel like a snack