Protein \ meal replacement bar | FerrariChat

Protein \ meal replacement bar

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Echo Charlie 1131949ZULU, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Echo Charlie 1131949ZULU

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Edward C. Chewning
    Suggestion, for something that doesn’t taste like cardboard?

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like protein shakes the best. I wash down my lunch salad with Ensure.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I have had bariatric surgery so I've eaten almost every protein bar on the market. My favorites are the Costco Kirkland Signature bars (esp chocolate chip, but they're all good), Pure Protein (esp. chocolate salted caramel and chocolate peanut caramel).

I also like the Clif Builder Protein vanilla almond, Muscle Pharm and ON cake flavored bites, but those all have 240-270 calories.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've been drinking a smoothie I make with greek yogurt, spinach, banana and frozen mixed berries. ~350 calories, ~20 grams protein. tastes delicious (you don't taste the spinach).

max930 likes this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #8 BMW.SauberF1Team, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    I had the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch peanut butter bar last week...hands down the best tasting protein bar ever. It tastes exactly like a candy bar...

Edit: They have two bar sizes. That peanut butter one is 190 cal, 16 gram protein, and 3 gram sugar. Right now I've been eating Pure Protein bars from Costco and they are about the same. 200 cal, 20 gram protein, 2 gram sugar or something. They taste decent, but not nearly as good as Fit Crunch.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If you want a rice crispy crunch, the MP bars and also they have some at GNC called Grenade that are good, and go on sale for a buck.

8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm on a site that gives weight watchers recipe's. Smoothie is on there. I'm lazy though and get my protein from a bottle of Ensure.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Premier Protein shakes are pretty good. 160 cal, 1 gram sugar, and 30 (yes thirty) grams of protein...75% of the calories (120) come from protein lol. It's $25 or so at Costco for 18 of them and sometimes on sale for $20. I like the chocolate and vanilla, but the caramel and banana taste weird imo.

max930 likes this.
  10. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    At Walmart here in Canada, its two six packs of Ensure for $18 dollars. The pharmacist said the Walmart brand is identical and only $14 something for two six packs. But I don't trust other in store brands besides Kirkland.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    super easy to make. I'll make a blender full (72 oz, I think) and have smoothies for 3-4 days. worst part is cleaning the blender afterwards.

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 I find a breakfast smoothie keeps me filled up most of the day. Low carb and not too much sugar. My current favorite: 2 tbsp protein powder. ~1 tsp turmeric powder. 1 tsp good korantje cinnamon. Plain yogurt. Fresh raspberries. Water. Stick blender.

Throughout the day, drink lots of water.

If I get peckish before dinner, a small handful of nuts. Almonds, walnuts or pistachios are my favorites.

For bars, I like the Kirkland nut bars. A bit more sat fat than I'd like, but 7g net carbs, and I try to limit myself to one or two per week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

T

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Might be a chore to make such a large amount, but a stick blender should be easier clean up.

Max - as Guy says, make a big batch, store what you don't immediately want, and so it'll be less onerous.

We had a ton of Ensure for the MIL as it was about all she could keep down at the end, & as I recall, many varieties were pretty high on carbs/sugar, so check the nutritional info if you go that route. I find if I have carbs around midday, I'm useless. Lethargic.

Push comes to shove, Atkins shakes are low carb. Mix some with coffee/espresso to make a "ghetto mocha" if you want a low carb treat midday.

T

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Might want to hide the ensure when girls come over too. They might think you're really close to geriatric. :D

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Unrelated, but would love to know the story behind the OP's username...

Sent from my LG-H700 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a little fermented curd should do the trick

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think its their ham radio call sign.

greg328 likes this.
  18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There are a few out there that are tasty. I don't use them as meal replacement so much as I do protein supplement before and after workout.

19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm doing it too get protein at lunch and a boost too my dinner meals. The frozen weight watchers meals are very small portion wise.

20. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As you like them, they are easy to custom make with a food processor. I’ve done several batches based on the larabars.

You can tailor build them with your preferred fruits, nuts or seeds, and protein powders. I’ve used different combinations of maca, beet, stevia, carob, cocoa, pecan flour, and/or hemp powders, dates, figs, coconut, cinnamon, with various nuts and dried fruits. Processed and packed into silicone ice cube tray to make small cubes, or else bars, that I wrapped in parchment paper.

https://leitesculinaria.com/88638/recipes-homemade-larabars.html

https://thebigmansworld.com/2017/12/27/homemade-cherry-pie-larabars-whole30-paleo-vegan/

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/fudge-baby-mania/

21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm going to try some of those recipes. Getting bored with my store bought protein shakes.

22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I think my diet and exercise has hit a plateau. I'm not losing the last inch or so from my belly fat. Instead I seem to be losing muscle. Increasing protein and now hitting the weights instead of aerobics....... I'm thinking of going old school Atkin's diet. 100% protein.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've been getting pre-cooked and pre-peeled hard boiled eggs at Trader Joe's.

It's obviously not a bar, but it's about the cleanest protein you can get.

Matt