Project-Scuderia | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Project-Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBM, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The new Lithium Ion battery weighs in at 4.405 kg/9.71 lbs, for a weight savings of 12.440 kg/27.43 lb. This is the greatest weight savings for a single component so far on this project, which goes back to November 7, 2011.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The new 3-D printed battery tray and kick panel weighs 1.095 kg/2.41 lb, for a weight savings of 0.860 kg/1.89 lb, which is a 44% weight reduction.

mwstewart likes this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

are these Lithium batteries Phosphate Iron based?

4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Yes, the battery is Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4). Not the Samsung thermal runaway "spontaneously combust on an airplane" type of Lithium. It has a Battery Management System (BMS) that is compatible with a standard automotive alternator/generating system, with under-voltage and over-voltage protection. The under-voltage protection definitely works, because I managed to accidentally trip it by running a bunch of electric systems simultaneously with the engine off.

It also has this cool circuit breaker reset button that kicks in if (when) the phantom loads in the Scud run the battery down, so that you will have enough juice left in the battery to start the car. This car sits a lot because I travel so much, so this has happened to me more than once, and the reset has worked every time. It also came with a real battery charger, which unlike the stock paperweight battery maintainer, actually maintains and recharges the battery.

24000rpm likes this.
  5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    When I installed the new battery, I was working on a number of upgrades at the same time, as well as some general cleanup. So, it made sense to just remove everything in the cabin, down to the unibody chassis and the wiring loom. Having all that space makes it so much more pleasant to work in there, especially if you have to get under or behind the dash. And I must say, of the dozens of project cars I've worked on, the Scud is the easiest road-legal car to work on behind the dash. So much empty space.

mwstewart likes this.
  6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Before I installed the battery tray and battery, I updated the wiring harness with the components included in the battery kit. The kit included a second quick-release battery terminal clamp. The second terminal is identical to the stock terminal, with the Italian OEM brand on the part. I colored the clamp levers black and red for extra safety. I could have plasti-dipped them, but my trusty Sharpies were handy, and the ink took to the plastic pretty well.

I also added the pigtail for the battery charger/maintainer. It's the black wire with the red cap shown to the right in the photo below. I was able to mount it very close to the port for the stock battery maintainer.

The crossbar that the stock kickplate attaches to, is retained as the attachment points for the new kickplate.

7. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Love this thread

8. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Here's the battery and tray fitted into the passenger footwell, with the battery terminals connected. In the upper right corner of the photo, you can see the connection port for the battery charger. Spoiler Alert - In the left side of the photo, you can see another upgrade installed.

9. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Here's a better shot of the charger port, where the battery charger/maintainer plugs in. Just a few inches away from the stock battery charger port.

galt, redcaruser and mwstewart like this.
  10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Lightweight aluminum kickplate installed. The kickplate has a diamond treadplate pattern, which is similar to the floor plates in the Scud.

Freddan and mwstewart like this.
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Hey RBM have you thought about changing out the control arm bushing to 430 Challenges ? Stock 430 are steel and Challenges are aluminum and they use roller bearings not rubber even more of a race car feel, sixteen of them weight adds up maybe can save four or five pounds . I am doing mine now

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  13. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Hi Randy - Ferrari uses the aluminum mounts with rubber bushings on the Scuderia already, so the weight savings is there already. For track work, the challenge bearings improve handling, but for the roads where I live, they would make the ride quality worse.

14. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  15. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  16. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  17. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  19. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    RBM are you going to sell that carbon center column like you did the other lightweight parts you fab’d before? Asking as a buyer =D

21. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  22. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  23. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  24. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    It's already for sale by two FerrariChat sponsors, however you will want to read the full story before you decide to purchase. Stay tuned.

freshmeat likes this.