Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That is not entirely correct. Please go back to page 3 and start reading at post 44. Dave tried the currently recommended Greased Lighting and that went on to say he ended up using an ultrasonic cleaner (post 54) with Brulin Formula 815 GD Detergent/Degreaser (post 58). No secret there. In between he also gave reference for a source for a leather shop with excellent match to OEM and most recently he provided several videos showing how to remove the molding around the GTB rear window. The only thing he chose not to reveal was what paint he used to refinish the cleaned sticky parts and that was where the fuss started. I think that was a pretty minor thing given that there are numerous finishes that have been recommended here, some better than other, and it really isn't very hard to find one that matches the OEM color and sheen. If there was a mistake on Dave's part it was posting that he was going to try a start up doing refinishing. And that is where things went ballistic. Yes, his mistake but I would not be surprised if Dave saw how easy it was to clean the parts with the correct equipment, which he happened to have, and became excited about the possibilities. Anyway, let's at least try to keep the facts straight.

This may sound like I defending Dave. Yes and No. I have never met Dave. I've talked to him twice on the phone and exchanged a few emails. I've called him out on some things and he has doe the same to me. I don't approve of some of the exchanges he and a couple of others have had in this thread. Yet Dave and I still consider each other as friends. As you may know I offered to repair Dave's OEM 355 speakers. I told him I'd do it for the cost of parts and shipping both ways. When I told him what the parts cost he immediately wanted to send me payment. I told him to wait until I had return shipping figured. Next thing I know I receive a PayPal indicating he sent funds far in excess of what the total would be. I told him it was unnecessary and I would return the overage when things were done. He simply insisted I keep the total and have a few beers on him. Yep, he is a real F'n villian.

And you might want to check out this thread from another now banned user, https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/470982-thanks-dave-rocks.html which say a lot about the type of guy Dave is as opposed to what he is being portrayed in this thread.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so that explains why F1moving was blindly supporting Dave so passionately, going overboard to the point of ban? :)

listen, no one is saying Dave didn't add some value and that he couldn't be nice. most banned users get there from a minority of their posts. goes back to the 1-99 rule, 99% of problems from 1% of users/posts.

3. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    No one is complaining about the info h provided on stripping. This all boils down to forum ethics. He made it a point to hold back the final step which was the finish and admitted that he will keep that to himself. Like I stated to him, he should have kept that whole piece entirely to himself if that were his intention, because it leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth who was hoping he would provide it. Basically, he led us on.

He even admitted he made a mistake so yes the facts are straight. Since you are his friend of course you will be partial and defend him and we understand that. However, it doesn't change the fact that he purposely withheld the final step for business purpose...when could have kept it to himself or announced it before hand

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

GUYS I THINK WE NEED TO MOVE ON.
    This isn't Housewives of Atlanta!!

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay