Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We are off topic enough. Just thought it might be time for a little humor. :)

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, your choice.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This is complete BS. To hell with it.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Actually, you are wrong on that. The solution I use was made by me and known only to me.

5. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

Sorry did not mean it in that way , what i meant was , i'm sure before SNM , someone figured out the surface could be cleaned and refinished, in other words , not like no one ever did it before if they were willing to diy

1994 ferrari 348 spider purchased may 2013 w/ 27804 miles

6. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #431 driveitdaily, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    I feel that in light of daverocks departure i needed to change my signsture from " serenity now " just to be a wise ass
    Like the terminator said " he'll be back "

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What happened to Dave Rocks?

8. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

Said he's thru with fchat , i think he's snowed in up there in buffalo and the paint fumes are getting to him

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, but is it divine?

The money to be made is in figuring out how to do it with minimal labor involved. It's not a difficult diy, but it does take time. I found a paint that was extremely close to the factory finish and did a few pieces myself that hadn't already been done. It wasn't difficult but it was a decent amount of manual labor, so if these guys have found a low labor, quick stripping process that's a money maker. The refinishing once stripped is the comparative easy part, so I'm not sure how this whole mess got kicked up.

10. XLR8R

XLR8R Karting

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It's a shame you have to take the time for rebuttals...you've been around forever, providing fantastic service, and conducting business ethically...it's a free market...you've been transparent and people can choose to go with you or someone else. Providers are judged by value (value = cost - benefits) and there's no reason to arm wrestle that amongst the peanut gallery. For most of us this is our hobby/passion...I feel I need to be very appreciative of those that are trying to make a living providing a great experience to me.

11. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #436 driveitdaily, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

I dont know , its just another day in our shop , audi , vw , .....never really considered it controversial or rocket science , just one part of prepping the car for sale , just another day at work .I never realiized the stripping was the difficult part , we do it so often , would seem to me like finding and applying an acceptable finish would be the trickier part

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Just... Wow.

I'm in shock.

That is all.

13. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Agreed, Seen it before and good and knowledgeable people banned or leave.

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Probably been in the Box for over a decade.
    Plenty of time to get gooey.

I bought the same window switch as Dave and it was in a yellow box and sticky.

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is awful. Did he leave because someone insulted him?

I hope the moderator gives a warning to all those people that insulted him.....maybe he will come back.

All in all this thread was really helpful for those that wish to refinish their own parts.

16. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

Ummmm , read back a psge , he did the insulting , to the wrong person .

1994 ferrari 348 spider , third owner purchased may 2013 w/ 27804 miles

17. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    There is no small irony in the fact that the two guys that are arguably the most responsible for Dave Helms no longer posting on Fchat after questioning his integrity are now leaving because they feel disrespected. I would be surprised if their self imposed exile lasts very long though.

18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I offer a friendly challenge for you to strip some newer Ferrari 599/612 or Maserati QP/GT parts and then tell me how easy the stripping process is. I can even send you some pieces to try and you can do a writeup to post here on what you used and how easy it was. I can assure you, your hands will be aching and hurting after doing those parts. They are nothing like older Ferrari parts. They take 7-8 times as long to do and the risk of ruining them goes up 10 fold. If you ruin the parts though, you will need to replace them.

19. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    He wasn't giving anyone any insight on how to refinish there own parts though. Just showing the parts he refinished for his own car and getting the word out about a business he will be starting.

20. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's not self imposed anymore. He was banned so I If can't work something out I don't think he'll be back.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there are so many similarities.

22. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    Must have missed that. Not surprising though -- when you shoot at the king you better not miss :)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the technical application of bans are black & white, the function of them aren't.

Dave had received warnings, but hadn't done anything ban worthy excluding the personal attacks on me.

Dave was admitting leaving, but in process same ole same ole scorched earth approach SLOWLY walking out the door.

Helping someone help themselves or just saving all of us from the drama scorched earth, whatever. He's gone for now either way.

24. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

I dont have newer ferrari parts . I dont want newer ferrari parts . I'm not starting a business . I dont want to do it as a business . I'm not trying to discredit your business. Simply , when it comes to 348/355 parts , since this is a 348/355 thread , the simple fact is stripping the parts is easy . Weve stripped hundreds of parts in our businrss as a car dealer and never had any difficulty , never damaged any parts , its paint , it comes off . Give me the choice of stripping some paint or a timing chain job on an audi s4 and i'll choose paint stripping any day. If someone doesnt want to diy , you provide a service , good for you , good for them.

25. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

Once he realizes theres nothing going on over at *********** , he'll be begging to come back . He's probably posting epoxy drying time charts there right now . Lol