Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Project Restoration: 1995 F355 Berlinetta

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I'm not sure why there are 'secrets' on a how-to thread that is as basic as it comes....
    this is simple process that any one can do.

I stripped all the plastic parts from my interior last winter (dash,console and doors), including the switches and the rear window outer moulding.

The cleaner I used:
    Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven cleaner (in the yellow spray bottle) for all the parts except the electric switches....those I used a rag and 70 % rubbing alcohol.
    DONOT take apart your switches.....it is not necessary (unless you like chasing little plastic clips and then having fun trying to reinstall them).....just take the rag and rubbing alcohol and wipe the 'goo' off.

For the finish I used : Automotive grade paint called Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel in flat black....it has just the right sheen (not quite flat black) to match the original oem finish.
    All the parts came out looking brand new. And best of all.....the 'sticky' is gone for ever.

2. amg55

amg55 Karting

Mar 12, 2013
    #402 amg55, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the LH header out this week I know its not like a perfect restoration but I had it re piped at meineke like the other side from last year. LOL

Also the photo may be useful for people chasing vapor lines or fuel issues of the inner quarter configuration.

I also installed a new boot over the inner cv joint as an extra layer of protection it fits great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #403 rob lay, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :)

4. amg55

amg55 Karting

Mar 12, 2013
    And DR bob I enjoy your posts I also wanted to let you know a solution for those who have test pipes and need to keep the SDL codes away.

I have used the TC probe from the bypass pipe and tied the valve open (Y PIPE STILL CONTAINS CATS). Then I jump the signal wire from this TC to the two CAT ECUS L AND R. This keeps 1445 and 1449 cleared. 1448 is not flagged since I plug in one of the un used TC and leave it tied off to the side.

5. XLR8R

XLR8R Karting

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I keep up with checking the site...don't post much as 1) I don't have the capacity to get caught up in the frequent drama and 2) I haven't had the time/facilities to do much with my car so I feel like I don't have much to add (building an outbuilding next year which will allow me to spend more time with the car).

As a casual observer I haven't read every single post, but my assumption was that Dave was refraining from passing the details as he didn't want to inflict any any harm on those who do this for a living. Am I right? Maybe not, but who knows. All I know is that I do not know enough to assume. I spent the past four years living in southern Asia (Kuala Lumpur) and recently moved back to the US this past spring. Lots of time traveling India, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Have a close friend in Vietnam that I met along the way...he works 12 hour days 7 days a week selling seafood and makes less than $100 month. He views us like we view billionaires. Every day I wake up and am amazed, and humbled, that my childhood dream is sitting in my garage. I think we probably all feel this way amd just need to rember that with every single post. When we get past our online personas, every single "meeting face to face" story is a wonderful experience that is often shared here. We need to tell more of those stories.

6. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #406 driveitdaily, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    As far as the stripper , any auto parts store or auto psint supply store sells a stripper specially designed to remove paint from plastic parts without damaging the plastic , mainly used for removing paint from plastic car bumpers . That product should give good results for stripping . Its certainly no " secret "

Its not like SNM invented some solution , stripping and refinishing was done long before SNM .they cater to peolple who have bucks and couldnt be bothered to diy. Seems like this whole discussion is blown a little out of proportion
    " serenity now "

7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Matt, nice reminder of what is really important. Remember that we are luckier than we realize. Bottom line we are all car enthusiast's. Enjoy the ride.

8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    John, when have you seen things on here get blown out of proportion? ;)

9. XLR8R

XLR8R Karting

Feb 14, 2013
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Matt
    +1M

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well, this thread got derailed.

The stripping of the parts was the Ultra Sonic Cleaner.

Paint / texture is just trial and error to find the primer / paint combo. It would have been nice to see what the final result was for Dave...but hey. No big deal.

Seems like a lot of angst over a pretty well known process...but whatever.

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Another tempest in a teapot.

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I really should have clarified why I am electing to depart:

First, Bob, you have not won or pushed me away - everyone can see thru you.

My reason is because I approched Rob respectfully regarding sponsorship and had many PM discussions. I won't post the PM's and I'm sure this post will quickly get deleted...

However, Rob does not know the first thing about business. He has spoken to me with total disrespect and has several times in the past. He mentions in this thread about me helping push Dave Helms away yet he PM'd me at the time to tell me how much he agreed with me on my view point to the subject.

The forum is strong because of the user base. Without contributing members, the forum is weak and sponsors will fall. Maybe not today or tommorow, but the day will come. Rob has quite the reputation for banning folks at the drop of the hat and his childish actions.

I will no longer help his pocket book with subscriptions, potential sponsorship or contribution to this site.

That is the reason why I will go.

Dr Bob, it's all yours and your lack on integrity.

14. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did you ever buy the small Ultra Sonic Cleaner you posted the link for?

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Dave. Take a flying leap!!!

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    AFAIK the strippers for bumper and other plastic parts are definitely not recommended for rigid plastics, as used for interior parts. I've looked at a few and they all say in bold print, "Do not use this product on rigid plastics". They are typically intended for use on urethane plastics.

17. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #417 WATSON, Dec 16, 2014
    What are you nuts? BEFORE Christmas? No way....after Christmas and I cry "no one got me cool stuff after all I did for them".

I'll have it here before new years eve :) Hopefully on sale!

18. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wow. That's about all I can say.

Second personal attack on DRBob.

Attack on the owner of the place.

All over a can of paint! Awesome.

Cat pictures soon?

19. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Give it to your wife as a Christmas present and tell her it is for her to clean her jewelry, just don't let her see all your sticky interior parts in it. :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are just proving yourself a complete ass and troll! you have been on FerrariChat 2 years, but strut around like you are all knowing and God's gift to Enzo and FerrariChat. You do everything BUT get along in the community with class or respect. Not just Dave Helms and the GCK, but in your short time on FerrariChat you have created a very abrasive environment that a thread was even started about!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/467083-lets-stop-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Aing-infighting.html

I wasn't overly moderating you or busting your balls, you posted without me even saying anything that you were starting a business. I said fine, no commercial posts. The fact that now you are personally going after me and FerrariChat is without basis and classless. The FerrariChat.com 348/355 brotherhood was very strong and positive BEFORE you came in November of 2012. You have the ego that now you won't post that FerrariChat.com is finished and the 348/355 will be nothing without you. Get over yourself "Dave I'm So Awesome". The 348/355 Brotherhood was strong for 12 years before you arrived and the recent thread about infighting is one of the first I've seen in this section.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Share our PM's Rob then everyone will see your true colors

22. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Oh grasshopper. I buy a big ultra sonic tank like that for her...and you know the first question out her mouth will be "so where's the jewelery" :)

I'll wait. ;)

We off topic enough now?

23. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #423 driveitdaily, Dec 16, 2014

Never read the fine print , but just used it 2 days ago on a plastic part that clearly had " abs " molded in it , didn't harm the part in any way . Disclaimer , dont try this at home . Lol
    I dont the stripping is the hard part , theres lots of them out there , gentle ones like citrastip , and so on , i think weve even had good results from simple wax and grease remover . Hardly some trade secret .

" serenity now "

24. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

Lol. , thats funny , ummm , almost every day :)

" serenity now "

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    have you ever had a respectful nice bone in your body? I know my PM's are terrible talking about although I personally think you are an ass, I didn't have problems with you after the cleanup with commercial rules. I know that is so harsh! you are just trolling for death by moderator creating drama where there wasn't much. come on, prove to us you are nicer than you have come across!