Project Mondial | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Project Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Leighton360, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Usually I get such at the dealer's. Gaskets, hoses and rubbers are not that expensive is my experience and you get always the right stuff. I usually call the F dealer upfront to see if they have the things on stock I look for. At the same time I ask the price and often order it since it is only small money difference.

HTH
    Tijn

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice piece of roaring iron :D It actually should not leak. Did you put in new gaskets between the manifolds and muffler? part# 154984

3. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    I did not use new gaskets as the old ones were in quite good condition , but mainly because they were very securely located into the main down pipes - not worried as a bit of assembly paste will solve the leak issue ..

Excellent news on the anti roll bar D rubbers ... it appears that my 12mm holed D rubbers are the same as fitted to the 308 GT4 ; apparently in the 80's, it was common for the factory to fit what was lying around !! ... anyhow , two new ones ordered at £ 9 each - good value I think

Rear Torsion Bar 'D' Rubber
    Supersedes: 106391
    (308: GT4) 108747
    Brand: Superformance

Should be here in a few days , and hopefully fitted this weekend .

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    What's with that Scottish tartan blanket on the Italian car?

5. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Ha Ha ... its just an old picnic blanket .

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    The gaskets are for one time use only. When new they shape itself to the form of the flanges when bolting on the muffler, but hey paste will work too :)

Did you get a Nouvalari?

7. Lotusman33

Lotusman33 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016
    England
    Full Name:
    Dave Noble
    Hi Leighton
    Great posting and fantastic read which will inspire me with my newly acquired Mondial 8.

I love these forums as like you I was a Lotus nut for years owning similar Esprits including a couple S1's.

You have done a superb job of your QV and she looks stunning now, I think I may start a similar thread for my journey as I seem to have similar issues you have already tackled. Is your car all MOT'd and on the road yet? Some fantastic roads in Wales to enjoy it!

The 360 looks lovely in that colour as well.

Dave :)

8. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #183 Leighton360, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Thanks for your comments , I have realy enjoyed telling my story . The car is probably about 4 weeks away from an MOT , and then its a case of taking it for some road tests to establish its reliability ..
    The story has not ended yet , once the weather gets warmer , I intend starting on the leather interior overhaul . Watch this space for more updates .

My advice is to definitely start a thread, as you will get loads of helpful comments and advice .... I look forward to another story :)

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Keep up the great work, and you probably know, working on these cars is half the fun!!!

10. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #185 Leighton360, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have not achieved much over the last week or so - It has been very cold and i have been struck down by man flu .. As you guys know, it is almost fatal - women just dont understand, and there has been no sympathy at all ....
    Back to 90% fit today, so I had to spend a few hours on the car ..

I had debated long over new rubber OEM 'D' anti roll bar bushes , but then finally decided on new uprated Poly bushes with uprated brackets .. these were delivered today , so i had to fit them . ARB fully built and now on the car . They are superb quality and are a fabulous fit , plus they look great ..

Finished the day off with a big garage tidy up : having a rest over the weekend and now I am all ready for next weeks jobs .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Cost and supplier for the set?
    Alden

12. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    £23 - Tuning Excess performance parts ..

13. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Very quick update

Prepared everything ready for the refit of the exhaust
    Painted rear wheel arch removable covers
    Fitted airbox rubber
    Now working on refitting the front brake calipers/pads etc

14. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #189 Leighton360, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Progress continues slow but steady .

Brake calipers are now back on three corners , so just one left to do - then I can bleed the system and check operation .
    The refurbished front bumper was unwrapped and all the lights refitted ; it has now been fitted to the car and is looking absolutely fantastic ( just needs a tweak on the adjustment) . I am now really happy with the way the bumper has turned out . The lights were connected and found that the indicators and sidelights are working , but the fogs are not .. did a quick check and it looks as if the dashboard switch has failed -- more checks needed , maybe tomorrow.
    Pictures to follow .

15. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Perhaps the wire from the button isn't connected.... Check your electrical diagram! Only warning signal is attached ex factory.

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Fogs may be "flash to pass" only and only work by pulling the headlight stalk, mine are like that even though mine is US spec which is supposed to work via the dash switch.
    Alden

17. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #193 Leighton360, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi folks ; Things have been happening over the last couple of weeks ,but its been 3 steps forward and one step back etc ... she's putting up a fight .

The Good ...
    Brake calipers now all back on and hydraulics bled
    Wheels on
    Exhaust on , with no leaks
    Rear bumpers on
    Ferrari logo shields fitted on front wings
    Bodywork , bumpers and wheels polished

The Bad ...
    Rear fog light not working - found bad earth
    Front spots not working - Dashboard switch failed (looking at fitting modern uprated replacements)
    Engine lid auto opening not working - another dashboard switch failure
    Boot auto opening not working - yet another dashboard switch failure

The Ugly ...
    Unable to select gears when engine running - Previously working , so we need to re-bleed the hydraulics and check fork movement etc etc . ( Thanks for your phone call Martijn and for your offer , will be in touch )

The Scarlet Woman is putting up a fight .. she needs to be tamed .

Photos taken today .

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You're welcome Leighton! I'm sure she will be tamed in the next weeks :)

Regarding the front spot. The default setting is "Flashing mode". The front fog light button will not work when it is in this setting. You can check if they flash. If so then you know that setting is applied. (I think the operation is also mentioned in the owner's manual)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/503326-fog-light-problem.html

All the best,
    Tijn

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    looking stunning...I continually applaud you sir!

20. Mondial_Switzerland

Oct 6, 2008
    Switzerland
    @Leighton

Can you please maybe show a short video when the engine ist running? i will hear the new exhaust :) well done good job, the other problems will also be solved - i'm sure!

21. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Will do Claudio .. will post a link once i have taken the video

22. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  23. Leighton360