Project CARS | FerrariChat

Project CARS

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This has been in the works for a few months now but I only found out about it recently.

Being developed by SlightyMad Studios from Shift series fame. More importantly tho is you can become part of the team, with community based funding. The more you pay the more perks you get. You can even get a ROI if the game sells well.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Release date sometime in 2013~

Here some vids of the weekly builds. (Alpha builds so graphics quality will vary)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JB13KZFf9c[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHA5wh7q7oc[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLZe7cvCoPU[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skc_m2HgTCA[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jqtJfjCqA[/ame]

2. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks promising.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    this looks like a game that could be one of the greats. Hope they get the physics right!

4. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    They've be doing great so far, I just wish Fanatec would release their new drivers so I could start testing again.

5. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I'll have to keep an eye on this :)

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Fantastic. I will buy a new PC for that!

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I signed up for the Beta but haven't tried it in a few months, I'll have to try it again now that they've released a bunch of new updates and content. Also take a look at rfactor2 if you haven't, it's already quite good, especially the '60's F1 cars.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What kind of PC do you need to play these games comfortably ?

9. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    DO WANT!

This looks amazing!! I can't wait to see how this game does on the market!

10. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The question is...will we have 17 different Honda S2000s, 27 Mazda Miatas, or 55 Nissan Skylines? ;)

This game is going to put GT5 to shame.

11. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
  12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It looks like it will be staying with the xbox 360 and ps3.

I've followed their progress on Facebook, and some of those clips are from gameplay.

13. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This was suppose to come out later this year which is why it's being made for the 360/PS3. I wouldn't be surprised they make a xboxone/ps4 version now that' it's been delayed.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  15. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    The graphics on this one are so lifelike, astonishing. However on some video's they still need some physics tweaking. It's weird to me that the Physics on GPL are still the best. It's a 15 year old program and it still beats out these mega budget new competitors. There are like 10 groups out there trying to re-invent the wheel when all they had to do was license the physics from GPL and maybe improve a couple %.

I am hoping that when Project CARS is released next year they have been able to get everything right. It has the potential to be something that reality can not match.

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The graphics and sound are incredible. What I fear is the same as what you're stating regarding the game physics. The same studio that created Shi(f)t 2 is working on this game. I was watching a video of gameplay at Spa (I think) and the amount of steering input needed was scary. It was like the F1 car was drifting through every corner.

Hopefully it won't be the most beautiful, worst handling video sim ever created...

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    GPL has been soundly beaten by Nascar 2003 and iRacing in the physics department, both of which are based on the GPL physics. iRacing owns the GPL (formerly Papyrus) physics and is run by Dave Kaemmer who did most of the design of GPL and Nascar 2003. iRacing uses a massively improved and advanced version of the GPL physics.

GPL is still very good but the low speed tire model is messed up and has been passed by most modern sims in the physics department. It was the best by a longshot in it's time and took 10 years for other sims to pass it, but they did.

18. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    I hear what your saying, but don't agree. I watched this a few days ago and it is LESS impressive, physiscs wise, than the 65 Monza race in the same car from GPL whose link I posted a few days ago in the other thread. And grapihcs wise it is still borderline arcade. In this vid the engine revs too fast and he drives like his tires are made of ice.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LARYvUKfuY]iRacing Lotus 49 First Impressions! - YouTube[/ame]

I also watched the nascar 2003 vids and can't see them as better than the original GPL. Those cars looke like they had a dowel driven thru their center of gravity and swiveled around it. A lot of time has passed, eons in computer tech and yet ............. hoping P-CARS can match their best graphics with GPL+ physics.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well, you're basing it on watching videos. I'm basing it on actually playing the games. Nascar 2003 uses the same physics engine as GPL, with a lot of improvements, and was made by the same guys. iRacing is improved even further, by again, the same guys. The graphics are better in iRacing by a long shot, it's not even close. Try playing them instead of just watching videos as the video is heavily dependent on who is doing the driving and their setup wrt to what the cars look like they're doing.

20. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Bob, It sounds like you're saying, "Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?" :)

I ordered GPL, as I posted before, and I think I will use that until P-CARS is released and I see some video's and read some critics and user reviews.

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm saying I've played all of them, and am giving you the facts that the GPL physics engine was improved and used in Nascar 2003 and improved again (and continuously improved) and used in iRacing.

I will have to try Pcars again as last time I did, it wasn't great. Rfactor 2 was better physics wise. Do yourself a favor and buy a 1 month membership to iRacing. I think there's a 50% off coupon code floating around out there right now.

22. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando

I just saw that it will now be for Xbox One, PS4, Wii U and PC.

They will not do a version for PS3 or xbox360.

After playing the feature lacking Forza 5 ( less cars, less tracks, no weather or day / night cycle ) I'm now really looking forward to this and hopefully it will be everything and more that Forza 5 should've been.

I'll play it on the xbxo One as I don't have a suitable gaming PC.

23. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szfwpVV3-II]Project CARS - Build 643 - BMW Z4 @ Eifelwald - YouTube[/ame]

24. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #25 gt4me, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017