Project BBi superleggera | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Project BBi superleggera

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by suicidedoors1964, Jan 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Highest gloss inner fenders EVAH!!!

2. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    If you decide you want to freshen yours I have the blueprints (project plan) available.

3. markpeboxer

markpeboxer Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Totally impressive. Hopefully you'll be on the road this summer?

4. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Thanks for the kudos. This is one of multiple projects that the master mechanic has going on. Too soon to put a date on it.

Your project inspired this one; hopefully my project can inspire the next one.

5. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I remember us asking you that a few years ago, lol! Good to see you post in the Boxer section, Mark. Let us know if you are still enjoying your car (I hope I remember correctly that you kept your great car)

Suicidedoors, any projections on final weight savings?

I weighed my BBi on accurate corner balancing scales a few years ago with almost full fuel tanks (almost 30 gal), stock 4 can exhaust, spare, jack, DOT steel bars in the doors, and both tool kit and roll (basically everything the car was delivered with) and it came out to 3,471 lbs. I even had washer fluid in it, lol!

William

6. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Awesome work so far :)

7. dancmos

dancmos Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dan M.
    Love it. A 512BBi was the first Ferrari I drove when I was 19. Incredible car and memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. markpeboxer

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #133 markpeboxer, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
    Mr Suicide,

Really impressive work. Quick question if I may as I see you never did fill out your profile.

Who are you and why are you doing this? I'm curious to know more about you (we are a rare breed - those of us that put serious time and $$ into restoring a Boxer and modifying it along the way).

I'll start.

I'm an advertising exec (thats still employed - go figure) and I've always loved sports cars. I've mostly had new ones, but at some point I realized that there wasnt much that i could do with them than other than wash them, drive them around - mostly on errands and on rare occasions race them. I wanted my cars to be more of a hobby - but I don't have Jim G's good fortune.

I also loved Boxers when I was younger, so I bought one and decided that it would be a good hobby / project to redo it my way (I'm also a fan of high end street rods and guys like Troy Trepanier). Honestly I probably didnt properly anticipate the amount of time, phone calls, emails, Google searches, Fed ex and UPS shipments and $$$$ that I'd go through in the course of realizing my vision of what a Boxer could be.

I think Eric Clapton just set the record for losing one's mind with chasing / creating the perfect Boxer.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342150&highlight=eric+clapton

It was amazing but somewhat anti climatic when I finally drove it for the first time. I had it shipped to California, showed it at Concourso Italiano and drove it around Monterey and up and down Hwy 1. Although it was surreal to be driving around and getting to know my car in what has to be one of the most beautiful areas of the country, I was all too aware of the many adjustments that it would need to be properly dialed in.

It took almost another year and a half - possibly longer to get it to where I really, really liked it.

Even now however, I'd like to still adjust it more. I've had it out on Road America last summer and it completely took my breath away. I also realized everything it would need to go to the next level.

Yes, I did go through that weird and seemingly inevitable phase of wanting to sell it and move on. Thankfully these things - especially one's like mine - are not easy to sell. I had 3 or 4 people that seemed to really want it and had a few fairly decent offers. Nothing however that would justify all that I put into it.

I decided that I will be her keeper for quite some time to come. For the time being she's in storage while I catch my financial breath and get ready for phase two. I'm so impressed with what Newman's doing (how amazing is that guy?!) - and I'm daydreaming away on the possibilities.

I realize that my car is not everyones cup of tea, and I've had my fair share of critique. The overwhelming majority of reactions are positive however, especially when people see it in person. I didn't build it for consensus approval, I built it for myself. As anyone who makes their living through their creativity knows, if you pay mindful attention to your heart and your spirit - you'll likely produce good work and with any luck, have a long and fulling career. While I'm aware of my detractors opinions, I really don't care to let them influence my inspiration. I believe its a gift to make things in your vision.

To stay active in the vehicle obsession mode, I'm doing the same thing to an old SL, and I'm having a gas with that. Same story and I think it will turn out as cool as my Boxer.

So - long story short - Mr Suicide whats your story?

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thanks for the nice story mark. i for one am so glad you decided not to sell. yours is am amazing machine and must be on of the coolest boxers on the planet. the level of dedication and vision was blue chip in my opinion.

again, very happy that the car remains in your great care!!!!

pcb

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Wow Mark, so happy you checked in and I too am a huge fan. The art, the car, I get it.

Love seeing it on the track too, I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

11. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    For me this thread has always been about the build including the companies, products and services used. It was never about the nut paying the bills. I’m happy to answer any questions about the build in a public forum.

Regarding myself, I have always been a huge fan of the Boxer. I have had a few other Ferraris over the years including a 308GTB and 400i 5-speed that were really special. On several occasions I have almost bought another 365/400/412 series car.

I have met in person and also talked with a few fellow Boxers owners on the phone about the project. If you want to chat sometime send a PM with your number and I will give you a call. In this public forum though I prefer to talk about the build and not about myself. Frankly I am surprised anyone would be interested. Though once the build is complete I will announce to the forum the first outing of the Boxer so anyone that wants to meet the nut paying the bills can see me in person.

12. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Based on your number of 3,471 lbs and similar conditions I am hoping to be in the low 3,300 range and that is with an aluminum radiator and lighter weight exhaust. I still can't figure out why the Boxer weighs over 3,000 lbs. The clams themselves are not that heavy. It must be the steel frame. Thankfully we are doing some engine mods to up the power.

13. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    I just got off the phone with Kevin over at Revolution Brake and the order has been placed for the Boxer. The kit uses Z06 calipers and 14” rotors and is the same kit that was used on Mark’s build. No sense reinventing the wheel or in this case the brake kit when Mark got it so right. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

14. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #140 suicidedoors1964, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The custom brake kit is almost completely installed. The kit itself had quite a few issues but luckily the master mechanic at FoA has tons of experience with working on the Ferrari Challenge series and was able to work with the kit builder and/or fabricate what he needed on-site. The Boxer is moveable for the first time since it left my house after media blasting. Looks like 2013 will be the year of the Boxer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    so which spare is on backwards, the front or the back?!

Man, you might consider leaving the skinny wheels on so you can more easily see that beautiful suspension and brake work.

Looks incredible, thanks for the update and keep us posted!

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Can you let us know what bushings you used in the suspension, and any shock spring modifications.

Also if its not rude, what $ does the brake upgrade cost?

17. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    You can talk with Tate over at Carobu about the shocks/springs. Carobu rebuilt all six shocks, put on adjustable spring perches and choose a new spring based on their experience on how the Boxer was going to be used. I know the master mechanic at FoA was pleased with what he saw based on his Ferrari Challenge experience.

Regarding the brakes you can talk with Kevin over at Revolution Brakes. Just realize that this is not just a bolt on kit.

18. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  19. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
  20. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Those spare wheels are actually off of an BB LM. Back in the day they used the skinny tires to move the BB LM around.

21. markpeboxer

Jul 1, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Did you get your 505's yet?

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Aren't they sitting there in those boxes?

23. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    On order should have them in the next couple of weeks.

24. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #150 suicidedoors1964, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017