Project BBi superleggera | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Project BBi superleggera

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by suicidedoors1964, Jan 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I lived thru one of those projects. Oh joy - not! I especially loved dealing with the antenna wire which as I think back was easier than dealing with the trim.

It will be beautiful when done.

2. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    #102 PINNIN512, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am there , doing that as I type.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    not to hijack this great thread [pics look great too],this is the first ive heard of lizardskin,how is it holding up?,would use it again?,im restoring a 1971 454 ss chevelle with a friend [i used to restore cars for a living 15+ years ago] ive used POR15 with great results,it can be thined and sprayed on,thanks and its nice to see somebody doing a job right

4. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    She's coming along nicely :)

5. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    I don't have any road miles with the Boxer yet since the Lizardskin was applied. I can say it was easy to apply and hopefully it will work as advertised. Both the sound control and the ceramic insulation was sprayed on.

Thanks for the compliments on the project.

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Lordy that thing is coming along! It is giving the faintest hint that it might become a car again! Really looking sharp, crisp, clean and tidy.

One wonders if the bulkhead could've been made 'removeable' a la Pantera where you could do belt changes from inside the car.

Anyway, the beast is coming together, the lizard skin looks excellent, as does the paint. Keep us posted. Hope you're driving it this summer.

7. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    The gents over at Magnum really do some incredible work. You picked the same words I thought when I looked at the car, sharp and crisp. They have taken the car past the level of what a new Ferrari looks like.

Regarding the removeable bulkhead maybe Ferrari was just late to the game as I have seen either a F40 or a 288GTO at the shop with the bulkhead removed. I think it was the F40.

No predictions yet on when the car will be ready. We need to get it back to FoA and let Wade spend some quality time with the project first.

8. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #109 suicidedoors1964, Feb 7, 2012
  9. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Anyone know where you can source a NOS BBi windshield with the antenna in place? It seems that all the reproductions do not have the antenna installed.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im looking as well so if you find two let me know, if you find one let me have it :)

Your carrier was shipped, Harold should have it this week

11. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Great news about the carrier.

I'll let you know if I find any NOS windshields. If I find one it will be a miracle, two might mean a trip to a parallel universe.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I will need a windshield too. I am not ready ideally however it seems I may need to jump at the first available.

13. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #114 suicidedoors1964, Feb 21, 2012
    Went on an away mission on Monday and here are the latest pictures of the Boxer. The interior is in, though still making some final adjustments. The clams are getting painted and looks like it will be going back to FoA soon.

The repro windshield is taped in place. Still looking for an NOS windshield but at this time looks like I will go with a repro. Being pragmatic I could find a perfect NOS windshield and then get a rock chip the next day. FYI TRutlands does have a used original windshield in a Boxer if someone wants to snatch it up.

14. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #115 suicidedoors1964, Mar 7, 2012
  15. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #116 suicidedoors1964, Apr 4, 2012
    The project is almost out of paint and ready for reassemble. The fiberglass pieces need to be reattached and a few items on the punch list need to be addressed. The gents have totally transformed the look of the car. Pictures do not do justice to the quality of work these gents have done.

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Though the pics probably don't do it justice, that is SO thrilling (and beautiful) to see. I know you're getting excited. I sure am. Didn't you offer me a free ride whenever I darn well chose? :)

17. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Right now that ride will be limited to garage driving. It is getting exciting to see the project getting ready to leave paint and start the reassembly process. It will be a unique machine and an interesting build once it is all complete.

18. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Decided to order a set of the HRE Vintage 505 Series wheels. Soliciting opinions on which finish you would select.

Option 1 : Wheel as pictured at HRE's website http://www.hrewheels.com/505/

Option 2 : Wheel as pictured at HRE website but face in glossy silver

Option 3 : Wheel all glossy silver

Option 4 : Wheel in satin bronze

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrewheels/7039588951/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrewheels/7022351265/in/photostream/

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to chime in with other suggestions.

19. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I have HRE 541's on one of my other cars and they're fully polished, not painted. Contrary to HRE's advise, I did not have them clear coated either, as I'd heard from others that the clear would eventually yellow.

They're certainly a high maintenance wheel to keep that polished finish looking nice, and although they probably wouldn't look right in a satin finish, I sometimes do wish I had a low maintenance satin finish wheel. Of course if you don't mind spending an hour or two on a Saturday morning, every couple of months with some Mother's on a powerball and a drill then no problem.

So from the 541 perspective, if I were you, I'd minimise the amount of polished surface you have to maintain.

I like the look of the 505 just as it's shown on their website, and it might be interesting to see even the lips with a satin silver finish.

20. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    Thanks for the advice on the clear coat. My favorite so far is also what is shown on thier website. HRE could do a better job with a build your own wheel function.

21. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

No kidding - they could do a better job with their website in general. Lots of pretty pictures, but very little useful content. It's a good thing their customer service is so good by phone & email.

22. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #123 suicidedoors1964, Apr 13, 2012
  23. suicidedoors1964

Oct 2, 2004
    #124 suicidedoors1964, May 10, 2012
    Another milestone in the project has been reached. The gents over at Magnum Collision are finished with the paint and interior. The pictures look amazing but IMHO standing next to the car it is just incredible. My highest recommendation to the gents over at Magnum Collision for taking this project not to the next level but to the top of the pyramid.

These are the first pictures with the car back at FoA. I know the gents over at FoA will keep the project on the top of the pyramid as we have some incredible stuff planned. For now we can see some of the suspension components getting ready to be reinstalled. The Boxer looks like it is in a clean room at NASA.

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I LOVE this project. I know you did an absolute ton of work yourself, but I can see this as a type project I could almost envision overseeing. You've subbed out some awesome work, and now it's all coming together.

I agree the guys at FoA are really talented, and - to me - 'clean' means a lot too. Great going!