Problems Continue for Toyota | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Problems Continue for Toyota

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TexasF355F1, Dec 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    The GM keyless ignition switch is very different from the on in most other vehicles I have seen. So I apologize for being mistaken about that. The majoity of push button ignitions are a single button for on/off. They have not found the exact cause yet. It sounds like the 2 pieces that slide together when the peddle is pushed seem to be locking together do to use. No for sure answer yet though.

2. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    Race car application vs. daily driver.

3. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Having to hold that button down to shut the car off is stupid and (obviously) dangerous. Like I said before, the button on my car protrudes from the dash and I've never even brushed it while driving.

I like keyless starting like my car has and some other vehicles. It's nice to leave the fob in my pocket and just press the button. The ones where you have to put a key in and then press a button are a little silly.

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've found the push-button to be more annoying than dangerous, but I have to agree that an instant shut-off is needed, if not on the push-button than somewhere. I have an 02 Camry and my parents have a 07 Prius and I will admit while they are incredibly boring we haven't had a major issue in either car. The Prius is at 50k miles with nothing more than oil changes and the Camry is at 115k with the biggest problem being the A/C going out which was a 5 minute $15 fuse change.

5. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    American cars suck. I had to change the spark plugs in my Taurus at 300,000 miles. The horror!

6. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    I think a better implementation of keyless entry/ignition (with the RFID card) would be a switch that you have to twist from one position to another to start the car and keep it running, basically similar to a keyed ignition but permanently in the dash. That way the keyless starting principle still works, but you can also instantaneously shut off the engine if something is amiss.

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The older ones were better. The engine design itself has been an issue on the new ones. Designed overseas. And his chassis is a mass of rust. The thing is a POS. He his trading it in next month for a 6.2L Sierra.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed. I drove a new Tundra to tow a project car for some magazine friends. I couldn't believe how awful it was. Other than the engine(was was quite nice),the truck was a plasticky, floppy piece of junk.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1. Good idea!

Pete

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  11. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Our Nissan Murano has that.

///Michael

12. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Now it's brake problems!

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny but sad, there were already reports of brake problems with the Prius, take a look at the first page or two of this thread. I highly doubt it is just the 2010s though, if I'm braking and hit a pothole in an 07 the traction control seems to prevent full braking, I can still feel the car slowing but it doesn't seem to brake as much when the TC is going off.

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    No amount of practicing with the keyless ignition on my dad's Prius or my sister's BMW expells my dislike of the system. I'm always pushing the button twice or holding it down too long or something.

The Prius is even more odd in that the motor doesn't start when you push the start button or put the car in gear since the electric motor is doing the work and your left wondering if the car is on or not. I just wish the cars came with traditional keys that you could stick in the door and ignition.

15. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    ... The Prius says "READY" when you push the button. Holding it "too long" won't do anything unless you hold it 7+ seconds... why would you do that?

Just put your foot on the brake, press the button.

It can't get any easier!

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Stopping is overrated, it wastes fuel.

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    So I hit Hulu to catch up on this week's Daily Show and here is Jon Stewart doing a riff on Toyota's throttle pedal recall... and who was the title sponsor for this?

Yeah, Toyota.

Seriously, WHO PITCHED THAT AD BUY TO TOYOTA?

18. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good time to buy their stock, it went down more then 15% in the last few weeks.

Last year Toyota was the number one car manufacturer, they'll get their act back together, and their stock will eventually go up.

Steve

19. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just look at the Ford Explorer tire problem about 10 years ago. That caused something like 250 accidents and although Ford isn't exactly doing great it's not because of the accidents. I'm willing to guess there has been only around 10 accidents caused by the accelerator in Toyotas. The Toyota die-hards will stay and while it will take awhile for them to get new buyers back I think they will easily survive.

20. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

My understanding is that a greater % of the Toyota is made in the US than a Chevy.

21. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Breaking news from:http://www.sniffpetrol.com/

22. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Not now

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #98 UroTrash, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    I agree, I have a 2005 Tundra and I will try to milk 300,000 out of it to avoid the problems with the new ones. The 2001-2005 Tundras were the high water mark.

Having said that, were I to look for a new truck today, I'd seriously look at Ford.

24. grease

grease Karting

Nov 29, 2008
    #99 grease, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    I like to treat adults like adults and most everyone who drives a vehicle is an adult. So if an adult makes the decision to pilot two tons of metal down a roadway at 70mph then they should enjoy the consequences. Baby-proofing the world for irresponsible adults is not a way to solve problems.

Riverhouse blocks that view now and the convention center is finished. Pic is circa 2003.

25. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007