Problem with Mondial sound - noise | FerrariChat

Problem with Mondial sound - noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mr.modena, Oct 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr.modena

mr.modena Formula 3

Nov 6, 2003
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Jaroslav Hanus
    Hi,

I'm solving a problem with the engine sound of my Mondial 3.2 (1988). This is problem with his "whistling" sound, mainly at idling engine revs (or low engine revs). Mondials from this videos have similar sound:

(2.38, 2.57 etc.)

Do you have any idea, what is the origin of that sound? What should my mechanic focus on? Gearbox bearings?

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It sounds like a healthy engine to me IHMO. Not sure what you refer as a whistling sound.

I do hear the alternator in first vid a bit.

Do you have a vid with sound of your own Mondial?

To get rid of some sounds you can disconnect the alternator and AC belt. This is just to see if the sound is still there or not and if not you know it is either of the 2. Keep in mind older cars just make sounds from this time era.

3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    The cars in the vids sound healthy to my untrained ear. I agree with MvT that the whine sounds like a belt driven component.

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Great looking car! Have someone stand at the engine bay while raising and lowering the speed of the motor. Maybe that would help.
    I also wonder if it’s the “Chirping” issue with the exhaust.

I actually can’t hear anything that sounds out of sorts.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The coupe has a bad misfire. Likely from letting the car sit for too long. I have argued against this unsuccessfully on the 308 forum lol. This car probably needs the fuel system cleaned out. I would start with that.

The cab looks normal for a stock Mondial.

CIS fuel injectors do make a pronounced squeal when they are working. This is from a vibrating valve that helps atomize the fuel. You can hear it more clearly when they are removed from the intake:

You can also get a squeal from a bad water pump bearing. A faulty bearing will feel tight when turned.

moysiuan likes this.
  6. mr.modena

mr.modena Formula 3

Nov 6, 2003
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Jaroslav Hanus
    Thank you very much for your reactions. I made 3 videos with my Mondial for your better idea.

but maybe …. I'm just „hypersensitive“ and I have unnecessary worries ... that would be the better option :)

7. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    These videos sound fine to me. One thought is the weather. E.g. if you have sudden change to colder weather then this might cause moving parts to sound different, and you to notice it. Especially before the engine warms up. Just a thought.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Like Mark said it sounds good. What you hear is the alternator as well. It just makes this sound. You can get a (more) modern one if the sound bothers you, but IMHO it is the charm of the car. I put in new bearings and it runs more smooth, but the same sound is still there, but less. Like I said we are driving 30y old cars :) Have fun and drive it as much as you can!

Ps. I can remember that I sent someone in Czech Republic a set of epoxy lenses. He had a red Mondial as well. Not sure if it was you. If not there is someone else having a red Mondial too in Czech Republic :)

9. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Sounds normal to me also. I think he has the Ferrari fever...just thinking something is wrong its going to be $$$.
    Just your Rev. is to high...1 mille/min should be better and will lower strange sounds.

Guido

MvT likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think you are referring to a sort of 'whoosing' sound in the first video. Hard to diagnose, make sure to check the exhaust header for any cracks. The second batch all sound fine with me

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think we all have this fever now and then :p:p:p

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Sounds like bearing noise. Take the accessory belts off one at a time. If not that, look into the timing belt idler bearings. When was the last time they were changed ?

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I bet my hourses on an extender that has burned through (9 out of 10 times this is the case). Little black pin holes you will see when you take them out. The last time was with a trip of Stekkefun where MaseratiMike had misfires all of a sudden. Quick look and we took some isolation tape wrapped it around 2 extenders for a quick fix and it ran beautifully again.

14. Davidoff32

Davidoff32 Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hi guys,

i guess, I have a similar problem.
    Belts and waterpump were replaced two years ago after a 10years storage at Ferrari in Italy. Fixed the typical clack,clack sound with a belt spray, but the electrical singing sound makes me crazy. Much louder, than it apoears on the video. Like an old washing machine.

Attached Files:

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take the belts off and turn the individual pulleys by hand for a dry bearing.

16. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Sounds more like wheel bearings.

17. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    There is an idler bearing on the water pump pully, actually two small bearings in the one pully, and are often overlooked. Not hard to access and check or replace. One of your various bearings is dry or worn, just needs a good inspection to find out which one.

18. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    It is the alternator which has to work hard after the cold start and during Idle rpm. Is normal and sound will almost disapear when the battery loads back up and there is less tension inside the alternator.

Davidoff32 likes this.
  19. Davidoff32

Davidoff32 Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks!
    It is exactly the same sound. I guess my alternator is broken. Sound never disappear.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you are taking the alternator off, i seem to recall you will need a very long 17 mm ? combination spanner ( called long series here )to let one of the bolts off from the underside

Davidoff32 likes this.
  21. Davidoff32

Davidoff32 Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thank you!
    First I will check the battery, and outcome of alternator and after it, I will take off the belt!

22. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Find a louder exhaust

DocBasilone likes this.
  23. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    LOL! Reminds me of what my dad, a mechanic during his time in the military, used to tell me whenever I would ask him what to do about a strange noise in one of my cars, "Turn up the radio!"

DocBasilone likes this.
  24. Davidoff32

Davidoff32 Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hi guys,

my mechanican now removed the ac belt, and belts for waterpump and alternator. That wining noise is still there.
    Timing belts were changed two years ago but driven only 1000km since them.

Do the timing belts creating a wining sound in general?

Now we try to check the tension of the belts.

25. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I remember something like 10 years ago our Mondial t developed a whistle that sounded exactly like someone quietly blowing a whistle. Not a mechanical sound and also not pulsating like exhaust. I never found the source but it seemed like it was probably a vacuum leak somewhere. However, it went away on its own before I could find the source.