Problem re-fueling | FerrariChat

Problem re-fueling

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Dec 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Had my first hiccup with the car the other day. Went to refuel and lot of pressure escaped after I removed the gas cap. Then as I started fueling the pump handle kept clicking off, from back pressure I guess, and at one point started blowing fuel droplets back at me.
    I know that rollover valve could be a problem. What else should I look for and are those valves hard to get to?

Thanks
    Jerry

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello Jerry,

I always have more trouble than other cars with the pump. One thing I noticed is the gas station pumps vary, some have a hard time with my car, other - no problem at all. This sounds wild, but have you tried the upside down? That's worked for me at stations with problematic pumps.

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I will try it next time Paul.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Having owned a 308, 348, 2 mondi's and 2 esprits I can tell you you can't just simply put in the nozzle, clamp the handle and let it go. You have to manually regulate the flow. Nothing wrong with the car, just the way the short filler necks, hose and tanks are aligned/designed. You simply have to fill the car slowly at much lower feed rate than you do with your yukon or camry. I have also heard that the upside down nozzle trick works too. But in the end, nothing wrong with the car...just another one of the intricacies of owning an exotic/special interest car.

MaseratiMike and ronfrohock like this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok, thank you.

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    How are those Espirits. I have always loved the look of those, especially the very first ones.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's the vent valve that is stuck/sticky. You can get any fuel vent valve of a car even for the T version I guess.
    I cleaned mine with break cleaner and then it was operating fine again.

8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The car upside down !? :D
    I always let my fuel cap a tinny bit loose so air can escape when driving. Have no problems when putting gas, but as mentioned, have to fill up slowly first.
    Guido

paulchua likes this.
  9. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I have had this very same experience. In one instance, the pump kept stopping so frequently that I believed the tank really was full, when it actually was only 3/4 full! Lately, it's been much better (cold temps?) When opening the cap, I am deliberate in doing it very slowly. And I will also vary the angle the pump is inserted. Filled up yesterday, as a matter of fact, and other than a couple of stray drops that splashed out, it went ok. Just have to keep a close eye on it and it usually goes fine.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha, I mean the pump upside down - seemed to work for me on some finicky pumps.

:)

11. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I too have adopted the "slow fill" method to keep it from clicking off multiple times before it is full, but also to keep there from being raw gas smell inside the cabin after a fill up. I never try to add that little bit more after it clicks off. The other day however, even at my slow rate, there was the raw gas smell again. Could that mean the vent valve is stuck as MvT said or I that need to replace the charcoal filter? It's really annoying for the first 30 k or so until it all dries out.

MvT and paulchua like this.
  12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I can (re)fill with full speed -) It can also be that the breather pipe has been clogged. I replaced all hoses with new rubber.

The vent valve is a 5 dollar part. You can take it from any kind of car. (location: passenger side rear fender inner side near the fuel accumulator. It's as small as a chestnut)

It's the same part that failed on Kinie's T when we drove to Italy in 2016. he left it off during the trip.

paulchua likes this.